The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Clear Cap Room / Van-Was

Can the Capitals trade M. Johansson on or before July 20?  If so, maybe this could be option.  I was reading that the Caps are looking at losing Johansson either way and maybe a trade is the better route because Johansson is far better than a third line left winger that is looking at maybe another 3.75 mil for one more year and then go to UFA status next year and most likely Vegas will grab him almost immediately.

But if there is the option for trade, the Canucks would have to clear cap space, thereby offering teams that need an NHL ready defenseman, Luca Sbisa, for a 2017 draft pick.  Maybe approach Carolina, NYR or New Jersey and see what offer they would make - take best draft pick offer).  

If successful in Sbisa deal, offer Washington trade.

To Canucks: Marcus Johansson

To Capitals: Emerson Etem and 2nd round draft pick

Caps would prolly seek 3rd line left winger in trade as well as a 2nd round pick since they don't have any until 2019 lol.

In reading Washington news, there have been other teams calling them regarding Johansson.  There may be better offers out there, perhaps Etem as a former 1st rounder would be enuf.  Solves their cap issue and our 2nd line LW issue.

7 minutes ago, Odjick_fan said:

Can the Capitals trade M. Johansson on or before July 20?  If so, maybe this could be option.  I was reading that the Caps are looking at losing Johansson either way and maybe a trade is the better route because Johansson is far better than a third line left winger that is looking at maybe another 3.75 mil for one more year and then go to UFA status next year and most likely Vegas will grab him almost immediately.

But if there is the option for trade, the Canucks would have to clear cap space, thereby offering teams that need an NHL ready defenseman, Luca Sbisa, for a 2017 draft pick.  Maybe approach Carolina, NYR or New Jersey and see what offer they would make - take best draft pick offer).  

If successful in Sbisa deal, offer Washington trade.

To Canucks: Marcus Johansson

To Capitals: Emerson Etem and 2nd round draft pick

Caps would prolly seek 3rd line left winger in trade as well as a 2nd round pick since they don't have any until 2019 lol.

In reading Washington news, there have been other teams calling them regarding Johansson.  There may be better offers out there, perhaps Etem as a former 1st rounder would be enuf.  Solves their cap issue and our 2nd line LW issue.

I like it. This gives enough space for our RFA's and we get Johansson. I've always liked him as a player.

I like Johansson, I just don’t see a long term fit with him on our team.  He’s going to get a raise next year which is why caps will want to move him, likely around the 4.5-5.5 mark and with some term.  That would put him in the 2nd line role, anything less would make him over priced as a 3rd liner.  But in 2 years will he really be any better than the options we have with Baertschi and Rodin at half the cost?

Trading for him would also mean we’d likely want to protect him in expansion meaning we’d be bumping someone out of our 7 protected forwards. Someone like a Hansen. 

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I like Johansson, I just don’t see a long term fit with him on our team.  He’s going to get a raise next year which is why caps will want to move him, likely around the 4.5-5.5 mark and with some term.  That would put him in the 2nd line role, anything less would make him over priced as a 3rd liner.  But in 2 years will he really be any better than the options we have with Baertschi and Rodin at half the cost?

Trading for him would also mean we’d likely want to protect him in expansion meaning we’d be bumping someone out of our 7 protected forwards. Someone like a Hansen. 

He plays all three positions - not a lot of grit to his game but he could be an offensive C2.  The issue is cap space though in a year but who knows where the D will be at.

I am kind of surprised that the Capitals would move him.  He was developed in their system and at this stage it's unclear if Oshie will stay as UFA the year after.  Williams will probably move on.  They want to add speed in their bottom-6 - I think they would probably prefer Hansen over Etem.  He's understandably getting quite a bit of interest too.  The Wild are still looking for top-6 forwards as well as Nashville.

Wsh isnt too bad when it comes to cap space actually so I don't see them looking to dump. 

They don't have a single bad contract on their roster relatively speaking,  and MJ is RFA so they just have to qualify him and resign him in a year when they'll have even more space. 

They're competitive right now so I don't see them making any deals that weaken their club in the immediate future. 

3 minutes ago, mll said:

He plays all three positions - not a lot of grit to his game but he could be an offensive C2.  The issue is cap space though in a year but who knows where the D will be at.

I am kind of surprised that the Capitals would move him.  He was developed in their system and at this stage it's unclear if Oshie will stay as UFA the year after.  Williams will probably move on.  They want to add speed in their bottom-6 - I think they would probably prefer Hansen over Etem.  He's understandably getting quite a bit of interest too.  The Wild are still looking for top-6 forwards as well as Nashville.

I like watching the caps, and don't miss too many of there games, the capitals really like how versatile he is and use him throughout the roster.  But the reason they can't keep him is Kuz is up for a massive raise (tarasenko type deal) and they can't afford to keep him,  That's why they went out and got eller, to be a cheaper alternative for Johansson.  

As for the canucks, long term we have no spot for him,  Bo, sutter down the middle and even granlund keeps mojo out of our middle,. (Granlund plays a very similar game and if he can find his offensive game like he did in calgary for a 14 game streak, he could turn out to be a similar player) 

On left wing, we have Baertschi and Rodin behind Danny.  I'm not sure in 2 years Mojo will be sure fire better in that 2 LW spot than either of those two.

On right wing we have Eriksson, along with Virtanen and Boeser in a couple years. 

We don't really have any long term spots for a player like mojo and he will mean a player like Hansen is exposed in expansion. 

I do see other teams interested in him, NSH, MIN (who love there players that can play center and wing).  Even the oil to help replace the LW they just moved.  Maybe caps would take a chance on the under performing Yakupov.

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Why wouldn't Johannson fit? (Hansen and a 3rd to WAS)

Daniel - Henrik - Eriksson

Baertschi - Sutter - Rodin

Johansson - Horvat - Virtanen

Etem - Granlund - Dorsett/Burrows

Gaunce

JB wants a 2nd Liner and keep Hansen. 

Johansson - Sutter - Hansen

Baertschi - Horvat - Rodin

Gaunce - Megna - Virtanen

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Why wouldn't Johannson fit? (Hansen and a 3rd to WAS)

Baertschi - Sutter - Rodin

Johansson - Horvat - Virtanen

Gaunce

Would it be smart paying 4.5+ million with term for a 3rd line winger next year?   What happen in 2+ years when Boeser makes the jump to the NHL?

Short term we can find a spot on 2LW for Johansson but long term he doesn't fit and will become an over priced 3rd liner.

The trade itself is good, it's actually kind of a no-brainer if Washington was approaching Vancouver with this deal. Having said that, if Vancouver is approaching Washington to make this deal, I think it's going to take a little more than some cap relief (Etem) and a pick to get it done.  

Washington is in a considerably better cap situation than Vancouver is right now. The Capitals have just over $8 mil where Vancouver has around $3.471 mil. Trading Etem would give them (roughly) closer to $4.2 mil. If Johnasson is asking for $4.5+ it doesn't work. 

Realistically, if Washington is going to make this deal, it's going to take more than the combination of Etem and a pick, presumably a 2nd as they have the cap space to retain him. From the Canucks' side of things, it will take a player with a higher AAV (Burrows) to allow them the room to actually sign Johansson. Is Washington willing to do that? Unlikely. It's nice to think about, but unlikely from their side of things. 

Also, I will leave this here. Make of it what you will.

http://public.tableau.com/shared/MP4XS5C75?:display_count=yes

The guy has had 46, 22(lockout and injury), 44, 47, 46  points in his first 5 NHL seasons. He kills penalties, plays all three positions, and plays a major role on a team with one of the best PP's since 2010. That's a bonafide 2nd liner, with tangibles. Washington is going for the cup this year, so if they trade him, they will want a a replacement player of equal value, or something special they can't turn down.

IMO, the Canucks do not have a replacement player available to trade. So we would have to offer something special, like Virtanen or Boeser or 2017 1st... plus a roster player

I have no idea, why all the responses think this is a good trade. It is good for Vancouver only.

6 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

I have no idea, why all the responses think this is a good trade. It is good for Vancouver only.

That's what I was trying to get across in my reply. Vancouver makes this trade in a heart beat. Lenosis fires his GM if he makes this trade. 

Johansson finished in the top 30 for LW in the league, the last 3 years and is a good size and only 25.  He is playing behind the best LW in the world.  I think it is safe to say that his numbers would have been better if he wasn't.

If we could get him for a reasonable price, it would be a big boost to our team now and in the future.  He and Baertschi could fight it out for first line duties.

Hansen + torts 2nd would be a fair trade I think as Hansen's numbers and all around game are comparable and would fit with their win now attitude, but is much cheaper than  Johansson will be. 2 more years at 2.5 and coming off his best year would be attractive I would think.  This would leave them more money to sign Orlov and possibly shore up there defense a bit more with Russell or somebody.  They would lose anything with Hansen, but would gain cap space and a draft pick.

Sedin Sedin Eriksson

Johansson Sutter Rodin

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

Gaunce Granlund Etem

Burrows/Dorsett

This would be a good lineup this year and for years to come as we lose the Sedin's but add other pieces with their 14 million and Boeser.

Doubt they'd do it.  Caps would likely make the space to keep him (they have enough as it is) and as Jamie Huscroft mentioned, one of them is an established 2nd line winger (better than Sven) and the other is a 3rd/ 4th line winger still discovering his full potential (1st round pick and all, Etem isn't an impact player at the NHL level).  It will take more than a 2nd to make this a hockey trade.

That being said, I wonder if we could try something similar with Andre Burakovsky next season?  Oshie, Justin Williams and Karl Alzner are all UFA's while Kuznetsov, Andre, Brett Connolly and Phil Grubauer are RFA's and with their depth of talent they also can't protect everyone in the expansion draft so I wonder if they'll be willing to shed an asset like Andre for a less developed player (hope Etem's game improves next season) and pick so they can have a young gun with potential who they wouldn't mind exposing (Etem might not get picked) and another future asset to work with.  

Caps:
Protected forwards: Ovie, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Johansson, Oshie, Tom Wilson, Burakovsky?  Connolly?  Williams???  (he is clutch in the playoffs so they just might keep him if they're all-in)

Protected defensemen: Carlson, Niskanen, Alzner

Protected goalie: Holtby

Canucks:
Protected forwards: Twins, Eriksson, Sven, Bo, Burakovsky, Sutter 

Protected defensemen: Edler, Tanev, Gudbranson

Protected goalie: Markstrom

MJ asked for 5.25. Capitals countered with 3.85. Based on history, he will get somewhere close to the middle. 

Can I ask why the Capitals would want Emerson Etem? Another overvalued Canuck player. This forum is becoming laughable. 

8 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Hansen + torts 2nd would be a fair trade I think as Hansen's numbers and all around game are comparable and would fit with their win now attitude, but is much cheaper than  Johansson will be. 2 more years at 2.5 and coming off his best year would be attractive I would think.  This would leave them more money to sign Orlov and possibly shore up there defense a bit more with Russell or somebody.  They would lose anything with Hansen, but would gain cap space and a draft pick.

Fair trade for who? Vancouver does that deal in a second, Washington probably not. 

They don't need to clear cap space. Even if Johansson gets $5 per, they still have lots of room for Orlov, and even in the most extreme case, there are players with less value that can be moved to save money. 

Archived