The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Clear Cap Room / Van-Was

"Caps are in a BETTER cap situation than we are."

Someone stated that(page 1?)..Umm, not sure about that. We've got 23 players, with about 3.5 mill to spare.

Washington has 8 mill space, only 20 signed, so far. Next summer Alzner, Williams & Oshie are all UFA's; & Kuz(RFA) will need significant coin. See their situation as quite similar to TBay. These teams will be losing a nice player in the expansion draft, is pretty much assured.

Would say they botched up their cap scenario(somewhat) when they chased them Pitt UFA's on D. They prob would love to dump Orpik?

to Van: Orpik & Johansson(about 9 mill?)

Wash gets: Sbisa & Baerschti  (5.5 mill)

In upgrading Baer to Mojo, we'd be saddled with the Orpik albatross. Not sure it's worth it. From Wash's pov, probably require something like this(gaining lots of cap space, getting younger). They could probably find this type of deal, somewhere out there. Mojo is pretty solid.

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

"Caps are in a BETTER cap situation than we are."

That was me. I didn't explain myself properly. What I meant was going into next season, they're in a pretty good spot; a better spot financially than Vancouver and a better spot to make a real push for a Cup.

Washington has 8 mill space, only 20 signed, so far. Next summer Alzner, Williams & Oshie are all UFA's; & Kuz(RFA) will need significant coin. See their situation as quite similar to TBay. These teams will be losing a nice player in the expansion draft, is pretty much assured.

They will lose someone in expansion, that's a given, but after this season, I can't see Williams coming back at 36 (he's 34 now, 35 when the season starts this year). Alzner will need some money, but if they're going to offload Orpik, which I suspect they will, extending Alzner and Kuz shouldn't be a problem. Washington has managed their cap pretty well and other than Orpik, have done a pretty good job in avoiding stupid contracts. 

to Van: Orpik & Johansson(about 9 mill?)

Wash gets: Sbisa & Baerschti  (5.5 mill)

I can't get behind that trade. I like Johansson just fine, but I think he's a short cut to what Sven could eventually be. As for Orpik, doesn't it make more cap sense to just play out Sbisa's deal rather than take on that monster deal Orpik has? 

On 7/19/2016 at 2:35 PM, Art Vandelay said:

The guy has had 46, 22(lockout and injury), 44, 47, 46  points in his first 5 NHL seasons. He kills penalties, plays all three positions, and plays a major role on a team with one of the best PP's since 2010. That's a bonafide 2nd liner, with tangibles. Washington is going for the cup this year, so if they trade him, they will want a a replacement player of equal value, or something special they can't turn down.

IMO, the Canucks do not have a replacement player available to trade. So we would have to offer something special, like Virtanen or Boeser or 2017 1st... plus a roster player

I have no idea, why all the responses think this is a good trade. It is good for Vancouver only.

Yes, you are correct.  VAN would take that deal in a second.   Think Horvat, not Etem. 

Archived