The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Wild F Jordan Schroeder

Minnesota Wild forward Jordan Schroeder was one of 24 players to file for salary arbitration this summer.

In most cases, the team and player will be able come to an agreement before they have to go through the unpleasantness that is the arbitration process.

For the Wild and Schroeder, that process seemed to get started on Tuesday afternoon. It was then that the Wild placed the 25-year-old forward on waivers.

It was most likely an arbitration ploy, and perhaps even a message to Schroeder, to demonstrate that the team feels he should only get a two-way contract instead of the one-way deal he is seeking.

Schroeder, originally a first-round pick by the Vancouver Canucks back in 2009, has spent the past two years playing in the Wild organization where he has spent time bouncing back and forth between the AHL and NHL.

He is coming off of a contract that paid him $600,000 in the NHL and $125,000 in the AHL this past season.

Assuming he clears waivers — and it would probably be a pretty big surprise if he did not clear — he will still be a restricted free agent with the Wild.

His arbitration hearing is scheduled for July 27.

In 26 regular season games for the Wild in 2015-16 Schroeder scored two goals and added two assists while playing just a little more than nine minutes per game in a fourth-line role. He had 34 points (14 goals, 20 assists) in 40 games in the AHL playing for the Iowa Wild.

Even though he has been a consistently productive player in the AHL, he has never really been able to find a spot as a regular in an NHL lineup.

His career-high for games in a season is 31, a number he reached in his rookie season with the Canucks. In 107 NHL games he has scored 11 goals.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/07/19/sending-a-message-wild-place-jordan-schroeder-on-waivers/

In 3 years, we will read an identical report, but instead the name of Jordan Schroeder it will be Hunter Shinkaruk.

Similar story for these two, gifted offensive players but undersized, which made them fall at the draft and scooped up by Gillis in disbelief they both fell to him. 

Filing for arbitration's not a great way to win points with your hometown team that's given you a second chance at an NHL career. Of course it makes sense to pursue the best possible deal, but is any other team really going to give him a shot at playing NHL games anymore? I can't imagine the Minnesota management group is too pleased with having to spend time going to arbitration over an NHL/AHL tweener.

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

In 3 years, we will read an identical report, but instead the name of Jordan Schroeder it will be Hunter Shinkaruk.

Similar story for these two, gifted offensive players but undersized, which made them fall at the draft and scooped up by Gillis in disbelief they both fell to him. 

Fat chance, you and many of Canuck fan just like to think that to justify that trade.  That was a bad deal both for the present and future. 

Small perimeter players have no place in the NHL.

If you're gonna draft a smaller player they better have blazing speed and/or elite stickhandling to beat defenders, or have a fearlessness to their game that allows them to battle their way to the net.

Schroeder had neither of those characteristics.

3 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Fat chance, you and many of Canuck fan just like to think that to justify that trade.  That was a bad deal both for the present and future. 

You can't say that its a bad deal yet..we have yet to see how Shinkaruk plays out in Calgary (with Johnny Hockey and Matt Tkachuk as virtual locks at LW for the future,its not going to be easy for HS).

Benning let Schroeder walk for nothing,and really had no interest in Shinkaruk..I guess there must be an intangible (other than size) which JB does not like in either player.

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Small perimeter players have no place in the NHL.

If you're gonna draft a smaller player they better have blazing speed and/or elite stickhandling to beat defenders, or have a fearlessness to their game that allows them to battle their way to the net.

Schroeder had neither of those characteristics.

Agreed. Especially with all the hype we had about him back then when we drafted almost Hodgson like reaction and to end up as a bust is no surprise. Undersized. That's all you need to know

30 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Actually, I think Shinkaruk's days are numbered in Calgary, with Tkatchuk falling in their lap. Shink is a Top 6 or bust player. He can score, but there are a lot of flaws in his game, plus his attitude was a bit of an issue. That might've changed though. Really Shinkaruk being a full time NHLer is 50/50 at this point. If he can't crack Calgary's Top 6, he wont be effective, much like Mason Raymond. However that said, I'm not thrilled with Granlund, but time will tell. This season will really tell who won that trade. 

10 minutes ago, HC20.0 said:

Actually, I think Shinkaruk's days are numbered in Calgary, with Tkatchuk falling in their lap. Shink is a Top 6 or bust player. He can score, but there are a lot of flaws in his game, plus his attitude was a bit of an issue. That might've changed though. Really Shinkaruk being a full time NHLer is 50/50 at this point. If he can't crack Calgary's Top 6, he wont be effective, much like Mason Raymond. However that said, I'm not thrilled with Granlund, but time will tell. This season will really tell who won that trade. 

It'll give us a general idea I would think, but both these players are still kids. Some don't find their way until mid to late 20's. I agree though. I'm truly hoping Granlund plays great... Not only as a Canucks fan but also because a friend of mine hates Benning largely because of that trade. 

Archived