The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Wild F Jordan Schroeder

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

In 3 years, we will read an identical report, but instead the name of Jordan Schroeder it will be Hunter Shinkaruk Markus Granlund

Similar story for these two, gifted offensive players but undersized, which made them fall at the draft and scooped up by Gillis in disbelief they both fell to him. 

FTFY

Because you know...redundant soft center playing a 4th line role without grit or speed.

20 minutes ago, HC20.0 said:

Actually, I think Shinkaruk's days are numbered in Calgary, with Tkatchuk falling in their lap. Shink is a Top 6 or bust player. He can score, but there are a lot of flaws in his game, plus his attitude was a bit of an issue. That might've changed though. Really Shinkaruk being a full time NHLer is 50/50 at this point. If he can't crack Calgary's Top 6, he wont be effective, much like Mason Raymond. However that said, I'm not thrilled with Granlund, but time will tell. This season will really tell who won that trade. 

Matthew Tkatchuck is probably a year away from being ready in the NHL. If Hunter can have a good year then I can see him have a spot in the team.

34 minutes ago, HC20.0 said:

Actually, I think Shinkaruk's days are numbered in Calgary, with Tkatchuk falling in their lap. Shink is a Top 6 or bust player. He can score, but there are a lot of flaws in his game, plus his attitude was a bit of an issue. That might've changed though. Really Shinkaruk being a full time NHLer is 50/50 at this point. If he can't crack Calgary's Top 6, he wont be effective, much like Mason Raymond. However that said, I'm not thrilled with Granlund, but time will tell. This season will really tell who won that trade. 

It's still too early to tell on what the scoop is with Shinkaruk, I wouldn't write him out yet. Everyone was saying the same thing about Baertschi not too long ago. Also, because Shink already has two years of pro experience over Tkachuk, he's likely higher on the depth chart to the Flames coaching staff/management, as he should be. 

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Small perimeter players have no place in the NHL.

If you're gonna draft a smaller player they better have blazing speed and/or elite stickhandling to beat defenders, or have a fearlessness to their game that allows them to battle their way to the net.

Schroeder had neither of those characteristics.

Neither did Baertschi but we are giving him a chance to develop it. (Although I could agree he is closer to blazing speed and elite stickhandling than Schroeder)

Just now, TheCammer said:

Neither did Baertschi but we are giving him a chance to develop it. (Although I could agree he is closer to blazing speed and elite stickhandling than Schroeder)

Baertschi has better speed and showed a willingness to go to the net in the second half.

I've never seen Schoeder as a player that will battle to get to the net.

30 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

But he was supposed to be our next Patrick Kane with Cody Hodgson as our Jonathan Toews!

You mean Shinkaruk or Schoreder?

If I recall it was

Shinkaruk = Kane

Horvat = Toews

Hodgson = Linden

9 minutes ago, Lui's Knob said:

Gillis picks:

mcnally

schroeder

hodgson etc

really making an impact..

Lol and who can forget yann Sauve or Prab Rai.... Lol Patrick White lol we had some real gems in those years. When it comes to drafting, We bust more than we would  hitting on a 20 at a blackjack table.

I thought it was a really stupid idea for Schroeder to try arbitration, as if he's proved anything except that he can't handle the nhl. 

Now he has had to be all like "aw gee pa, I never meant nothing by it I was foolin. "

Not 100% sure how arbitration works when the player is placed on waivers cause you know, 99% of the time the players actually deserve a raise, but if possible, if I was Minnesota, I'd let him walk. No TQ for joo!  

If if they are stuck with him, well then benning was right. Gee golly shucks

His AHL salary is quite good still... 125k, plus the extra he made on call-ups, maybe 200k at least. Thats a happy place to be, bit of a damper on his summer, posters on the 1st page there nailed it.

Like JS, he's got spirit. All the best to him.

Archived