The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Wild F Jordan Schroeder

I can't blame Vancouver for picking Jordan Schroeder to be honest I mean look at him getting drafted

I think it was Bob McKenzie who was doing commentary but he did say the following:

• 2nd year in the row he really liked Vancouver's pick in the 1st round (year before was Cody Hodgson)
  • Big time Offensive player for Vancouver
  • Has Speed and Strength

So if the Analysts think he was going to be a great player it's hard to fault Vancouver for picking him.

That said it would have been nice to get Ryan O'Reilly or Marcus Johansson instead

1 hour ago, falcon45ca said:

I'd be over the moon happy to make 125-600K a year doing what I loved...even more so if I wasn't particularly good at it, as is the case with Jordan. Greedy greedy.

Or maybe he can do what he loves and earn more in Europe? Plus you get to live in Europe.

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

man that was a terrible pick lol

There were quite a few spectacular busts in the 2009 draft..Scott Glennie( 8th OA) played 1 NHL game,and Louis LeBlanc (18th OA) only played in 50 NHL games...

Like Shinkaruk in 2014,Schroeder slipped down the draft and I recall everybody was pretty pleased when we drafted him..It wasn't a bad pick..IMO...Lets hope that Anton Rodin (who went in the 2nd round in 2009) redeems the Canuck scouting staff,for there brutal drafting records during those years.

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

Or maybe he can do what he loves and earn more in Europe? Plus you get to live in Europe.

Then why even go through the salary arbitration process? Clearly he wants to stay and earn more

money in North America.

If he wants to go to Europe, go ahead, but there's an old

saying in the NHL "you can't be a whiner when your a fourth liner". Looks as though he whined himself right out of the league...that, & his sub-optimal play.

On 7/19/2016 at 0:12 PM, timberz21 said:

In 3 years, we will read an identical report, but instead the name of Jordan Schroeder it will be Hunter Shinkaruk.

Similar story for these two, gifted offensive players but undersized, which made them fall at the draft and scooped up by Gillis in disbelief they both fell to him. 

And Granlund? Hes trash. Absolutely trash. 

7 hours ago, falcon45ca said:

I'd be over the moon happy to make 125-600K a year doing what I loved...even more so if I wasn't particularly good at it, as is the case with Jordan. Greedy greedy.

It' not greedy, it's his livelihood.  Chances are you're probably happy to even play pro hockey for free.... but that's the difference between Joe Average and those who are actually top 1000 people in the world for the sport of hockey (think of how many different pro, semi pro, college/university teams, beer league, players there are in the world). 

Who knows how long he can play hockey as a career, so you gotta make your money now.  $100k sounds like peanuts relative to the amount of money NHL players get, but $100k for an AHL player makes a huge difference as it can easily be like double your salary. 

I believe the NHL should be sharing more of their revenue towards the "lower levels" of players.  The risks/types of injuries are pretty much the same whether you're in the NHL, AHL, or ECHL. 

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

Too early bud. Too early.

57 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

We can say that for Shinkaruk as well then :)

so basically you guys are back at square one haha. id say shinkaruk has a higher ceiling and also more likely to be a bust. whereas granlund has pretty much proven he can be a decent player. its the gamblers that all hate this trade

8 hours ago, falcon45ca said:

He is in fact quite good at it... excellent even. Its just that there are a few hundred better players than him.

• b3. changed the title to [Waivers] Wild F Jordan Schroeder
11 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

Granlund will be a 4th liner. :) 

In NHL 16 my GM Mode in the 2019/2020 season Markus Granlund (yes Markus) is an 88 overall. So let's cross our fingers and hope he is as good as NHL 16 thinks he is.

13 hours ago, PuckFather said:

It's very interesting these today's NHL players were drafted after Jordan:  Marcus Johansson at 24,  Kyle Palmieri at 26,  Ryan O'Reilly at 33,  Jakob Silfverberg at 39

Those examples are typical of every draft. If we go back over the last 15 drafts and assembled a team of players we in hind sight should have picked instead of who we did we would be stacked.

Archived