The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Wild F Jordan Schroeder

16 hours ago, Lancaster said:

It' not greedy, it's his livelihood.  Chances are you're probably happy to even play pro hockey for free.... but that's the difference between Joe Average and those who are actually top 1000 people in the world for the sport of hockey (think of how many different pro, semi pro, college/university teams, beer league, players there are in the world). 

Who knows how long he can play hockey as a career, so you gotta make your money now.  $100k sounds like peanuts relative to the amount of money NHL players get, but $100k for an AHL player makes a huge difference as it can easily be like double your salary. 

I believe the NHL should be sharing more of their revenue towards the "lower levels" of players.  The risks/types of injuries are pretty much the same whether you're in the NHL, AHL, or ECHL. 

Endangering your livelihood so you can make more money than you're worth is greedy.

If you're good at something, never do it for free. If I was good enough for the NHL, no way I'd do it for free. 

He's gotta make his money now? Well good work Jordan, you just got waived. Those huge AHL bucks tho.

The NHL is a meritocracy. Players should be paid based on how good they are, not sharing more money with players who haven't earned it.

15 hours ago, butters said:

He is in fact quite good at it... excellent even. Its just that there are a few hundred better players than him.

Those are the people he's competing against for a job, and his play is sub-optimal compared to them. He's excellent when compared to the entire hockey playing population of the world, not so much against the people bidding for his job.

10 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

Those are the people he's competing against for a job, and his play is sub-optimal compared to them. He's excellent when compared to the entire hockey playing population of the world, not so much against the people bidding for his job.

you said "wasn't very good at it" before without qualifiers. Glad to see you came around. Don't forget that even fringe NHL players are still very talented.

3 hours ago, butters said:

you said "wasn't very good at it" before without qualifiers. Glad to see you came around. Don't forget that even fringe NHL players are still very talented.

In the context of discussing his NHL contract, I thought it was implied that I was comparing him to NHL players.

25 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

In the context of discussing his NHL contract, I thought it was implied that I was comparing him to NHL players.

you may have intended it that way, but sadly there are plenty of people who don't and its hard to tell the difference through text

• b3. locked this topic

Archived