The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver Canucks: 4 Remaining UFA Targets

googlesixtherapper

i found this article posted 4 hrs ago..its interesting but at the same time they are talking Radim Vrbata..i like hudler but he is older now..what are your thoughts?

The Vancouver Canucks are looking to add another middle-six winger to support Sven Baertschi. Who could that be?

Vancouver Canucks fans love Sven Baertschi. Not only because he’s a very likeable person and good hockey player, but also because Vancouver got him from the Calgary Flames — which means the Flames don’t have him anymore. There really isn’t much to dislike about Baertschi. So, it comes as no surprise that not everyone fell in love with the idea of acquiring another left winger to put ahead of Baertschi.

Still, for a team that wants to win, the idea to have a plan B in case Baertschi doesn’t break out just yet, is a very good one.

As I noted in various discussions in the comments section, I don’t believe Jim Benning and/or Willie Desjardins want to sign a player to replace Baertschi on the second line. All they want is a player to support Baertschi.

That could mean one of two things:

The new addition could be a veteran and strong two-way player who can play the tough defensive minutes. Take some D-zone starts from Baertschi and play against opposing top lines with Brandon Sutter. That shouldn’t take a lot of minutes from Baertschi, but rather take the tough minutes and give him some easier ice time with Bo Horvat and whoever the other line mate is.

https://thecanuckway.com/2016/07/19/vancouver-canucks-remaining-ufa-targets/

How's this for a credible article?

Another riskier option? How about giving the Cody Hodgson thing another shot? That kid’s career has been derailed but he’s still only 26 and he looked very promising in Vancouver and Buffalo before things went south. He’s a UFA now after Nashville decided not to send him a qualifying offer. Bring him back into the fold and see if you can’t strike gold again with a new reclamation project, a la Sven Baertschi.

The man prima donna tanked in a big way (from 0.5 p.p.g. in his breakout year, to 0.71 in 2012, 0.61 in 2013, and then 0.17 and 0.21 in his last two seasons) after demanding an increased role and pay, yet here we are, he's bottomed out and our GM doesn't look too bad for getting rid of him back then.  He may actually have the hands and vision, but his skating is below par, he lacks the size and physicality to compete here and no longer seems to be the character guy who was so attractive to Gillis.  With that attitude I'm not even sure it'd be wise to sign him for the Comets.  Maybe try him as a PTO at most or see how he does in Europe, but major no to signing him right away (or to Vrbata or Lessio).

42 minutes ago, googlesixtherapper said:

My thoughts are don't post a link without posting an accompanying quote from the article. I'm not heading to some guy's blog (which far too often turns out to be the OP just trying to get page views) only to read some terribly written, opinion laden rant.

16 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

How's this for a credible article?

The man prima donna tanked in a big way (from 0.5 p.p.g. in his breakout year, to 0.71 in 2012, 0.61 in 2013, and then 0.17 and 0.21 in his last two seasons) after demanding an increased role and pay, yet here we are, he's bottomed out and our GM doesn't look too bad for getting rid of him back then.  He may actually have the hands and vision, but his skating is below par, he lacks the size and physicality to compete here and no longer seems to be the character guy who was so attractive to Gillis.  With that attitude I'm not even sure it'd be wise to sign him for the Comets.  Maybe try him as a PTO at most or see how he does in Europe, but major no to signing him right away (or to Vrbata or Lessio).

am I a bad person that reading this made me happy?

i wonder how daddy feels now that his kid is a bust. guess all that involvement in your son's PROFESSIONAL career never paid off - who woulda thunk!

51 minutes ago, Ryanstorm said:

I'd take Vrbata back for 2.8 mil, 1 year contract. He had a bad year maybe he can become REDEEM VRBATA

I am so conflicted. I want to give a +1 for the terrible pun, but I don't want to give a +1 for the idea of taking him back for another year ::D
Ah, it was funny enough for the +1 :lol:

Pirri is the only one in that list I'd consider in that list.  He's still relatively young and may still hit at least of the upside that was expected of him.  And if not, he still ends up a serviceable 3rd line player because he has pretty decent wheels.

But it wouldn't be for the 2nd line, imo.   If he was our "consolation prize" UFA, I'd sooner play him on the 3rd and Hansen on the 2nd.  Or Hansen with the twins, and Eriksson on the 2nd.

Archived