The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex Burrows - Where does he fit in 2016/17?

Jamie Huscroft

The title says it all. Where does Alex Burrows fit with the Canucks next season? 

We can talk about all the off ice intangibles that he brings, but what about on the ice? He is far from the player he was when he was scoring 20-30+ a season.

I just want to open up a dialogue to see where everyone sees him moving forward. 

3rd/4th line winger, plus being utilized on the penalty kill. 

I've always felt that although he hasn't had a few good seasons that he still gets in the dirty areas and *should* be scoring more than he has been.  I'd love to see him have a mini-comeback.

I wouldn't be surprised if he came back with a vengeance this season and popped in 20 on a second / third line. 

Last season he seemed off, coming back from a year with serious injuries including a broken / bruised ribs in the 2015/16 off season, which probably messed up his training schedule. 

This year, after the controversy about whether he should be bought out, I think he'll be very hungry to prove himself. He has always thrived at being an underdog and I think he'll demonstrate his worth this season.

4 minutes ago, kloubek said:

3rd/4th line winger, plus being utilized on the penalty kill. 

/thread

Not much more to discuss than that. Maybe a twirl with the twins on the odd shift, but kloubek sums it up.

I think a lot of his offensive woes have come from injury/deployment under Torts and Willie. During the lockout year, he was still scoring at an effective rate - 13 G/47 GP = 23 G/82 GP. 

I think its wishful thinking to have him score 20 again, though 10-15 would be reasonable, provided he's put into situations where he can do that. 

Edit: I should have expanded on the 10-15 goals. If he finds his way into the top 6 through injury or just a slumping player, it might happen, but on the 3rd/4th I don't see that happening. 

Also, if his cap hit wasn't so high, I don't think people would be that concerned. Given that this is his last year under contract and that the team likely won't make the playoffs (quote me on that, I'm not sold they've taken a big step forward) I think the most logical scenario is having him slot in and out of the top six when needed while finding a home on the PK and bottom six. 

Burr needs to come back hard.

He needs to get back up to speed.

Great guy, love what he's done for the team over the years.

Right now though, without improvement, he is borderline even making the cut.

And then, what do you do with him?

If he can't perform this year, perhaps he should consider retirement.

That may be the classiest way we could handle this.

Injury is a gruesome, horrible idea, but may produce value on the injury reserve list.

Cutting him is not really very classy for a guy who has given his all.

Buyout may work even if it is not the most frugal management decision.

Trading will probably not work for various reasons (NTC, who would he waive to go to, what team would we like to push him to, high $ and cap hit, etc.).

Trading might work for something like Hartnell, and we haven't pushed Burr into their faces in any playoff games.

Waiving, AHL, et cetera, do not seem to me to be viable options for this heart and soul team player.

If he can show up for camp absolutely pumped, he can stay out of the press box.

If WD puts him back on his natural left wing, maybe he can squeeze out a good year, and we are weak at LW.

Main thing I think is, he has to get back up to speed.

He fits in as player coach. 

Next year he will relieve Willie from head coaching duties and be head coach. Willie will be freed up to pursue other passions.

Burrows will win the cup as head coach with the Sedin's as the top line.

45 minutes ago, Jamie Huscroft said:

Also, if his cap hit wasn't so high, I don't think people would be that concerned. Given that this is his last year under contract and that the team likely won't make the playoffs (quote me on that, I'm not sold they've taken a big step forward) I think the most logical scenario is having him slot in and out of the top six when needed while finding a home on the PK and bottom six. 

Its not like these are dirty words.

I personally think the team is a chance?  But that things have to go well.  Example; the Kings should have made the play off's the year before last.  Their loss was our gain.

I'm pumped we're making progress again is all.  Adding Gudbranson & Juolevi to Tree and Hutton gives so much better an outlook on D!  I'm also happy Burr gets another kick at the can...

I see Burrows rotating between the 3rd and 4th lines, and being a mainstay in the penalty kill rotations:

PK 1: Sutter-Burrows

PK 2: Horvat-Eriksson

PK 3: Granlund-Hansen

However, since Etem and Gaunce can both kill penalties, I also wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a more frequent healthy scratch if he isn't playing well. Here's hoping to a solid season from him though. 

Archived