The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign D Andrey Pedan and F Alexandre Grenier

25 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Excited to see if Pedan could make a serious push to crack this roster. Grenier's last chance at making the NHL? 

Wasn't he supposed to be coming off nicely. I heard nothing but great things about him a few seasons back

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If we're carrying 8 D-men I don't see any way Grenier is on the opening roster unless either Rodin flops or Virtanen starts in Utica.

Sedin Sedin Eriksson

Burrows Sutter Hansen

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

Etem Granlund Dorsett

Rodin

That being said I think a trade is almost a certainty at this point. That top 6 isn't gonna cut it if they plan on making the playoffs. 

I'm not sure I disagree.  But believe we need to stack offensive and defensive 2knd and 3rd lines. And really both Jake solidifying / Baer taking the next step?

Sedin Sedin Ericsson

Sutter Bo Hansen   Heavy Defensive Line with Bo & Sutter alternating draws based on which side.

Baertschi Granlund Jake            Protected O'zone shifts, Rodin can swap in with Jake? See who wins the role...

Burrows Gaunce Etem

Rodin Dorsett

This also requires, presuming we want 8 D, that at least one guy is on IR.  Or you would be right about needing a trade just to protect the list asset wise.

Edit > It does make for a very plausible top 6.

6 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I'd love to see them lose that contract. Win/lose, I'd rather see a back end with some skill, but mostly extra size & push-back.

Even Edm with Lucic, Kass & Ultra-Maroon can't get too cocky.

Fair enough, I just thought that bringing a bit of grit was one of the things Sbisa did half decent last year.... I also don't think he's as bad as most posters seem to.  Last year was a tough year for a lot of players on this team.  

17 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Waive Sbisa(no one grabs his contract) over Pedan.. Love to see the team have ample size & grit, especially on EVERY D pairing.

Edler  ..Gud

Hutton  ..Try man

Pedan  ..Larssen/Biega

Deal the brilliant Tanev(maybe with CBJ's 2nd?) for a Landeskog/Nylander type of return.

Skill up front.

Nasty size on D.

Great 'tending.

15 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

I'm not Sbisa's biggest fan boy but I think I'd prefer him in that bottom pairing spot over Pedan.

We can only bury 900K of Sbisa's cap hit in the minors. Even if nobody claims him, we'd have over 2 million of his cap hit still on the books. It's better to have him in the line up in situations and with players that maximize his skill set.

20 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Waive Sbisa(no one grabs his contract) over Pedan.. Love to see the team have ample size & grit, especially on EVERY D pairing.

Edler  ..Gud

Hutton  ..Try man

Pedan  ..Larssen/Biega

Deal the brilliant Tanev(maybe with CBJ's 2nd?) for a Landeskog/Nylander type of return.

Skill up front.

Nasty size on D.

Great 'tending.

That's a lot of money for an AHL player.

On waiving Sbisa..(big deal)

Look at Philly last yr with McDonald(5 more yrs at 5 mill/per?!) Now that's an albatross. So they waived him, as they had many young D to check out. Well, Ghost sure made a statement, huh? Sanheim, Morin, Hagg, PROVOROV..we shouldn't cry for Philly.

Benning has gotten much better with his signings..praise to the FSM! Such a poor signing often sets bad precedent for future negotiators(esp D seeking comparables). So play hard ball & nip that in the bud. If the kid performs, we can always recall. Another option will be to retain some bux, & deal for a pick. Only 2 more yrs..it's not dire, by any means.

Sending a guy like this down is a way to clearly state you've got to perform, if you want top-4 coin.

Like Philly did, we might get pleasant surprises from some other young D. This is a time to risk such a venture. One more poor finish(should it happen) won't be end of the world.

Sbisa may not be the best player in the world, but I would expect he would contribute far more than Pedan.

I see these five opening night almost for sure:

Hutton

Edler

Sbisa

Tanev

Tryamkin

Gud

The 7th spot is up for grabs, and is Larsen's to lose.  If he shows he can play, he'd fill it and perhaps even be our 6th if Benning wishes to trade as a result .   Otherwise, it would be between Pedan and Biega, depending on who shows up for camp.

Great signings, keeps the cap for this year in check, allowing the team to potentially improve, and gives them some time to show what they have.  I like both, but I am not sold on them as a permanent fixtures with our club.

5 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Sbisa may not be the best player in the world, but I would expect he would contribute far more than Pedan.

I see these five opening night almost for sure:

Hutton

Edler

Sbisa

Tanev

Tryamkin

The 6th spot is up for grabs, and is Larsen's to lose.  If he shows he can play, he'd fill the 6th.  Otherwise, it would be between Pedan and Biega, depending on who shows up for camp.

Gudbranson...?

54 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Edler  ..Gud

Hutton  ..Try man

Pedan  ..Larssen/Biega

Skill up front.

Nasty size on D.

Great 'tending.

Just an opinion.  Even though I appreciate the sentiment.

But I don't think Sbisa clears. Which again to some is a fine outcome. I also don't think we should kiss off an ok defenseman. Sbisa simply needs to play with a partner who does the majority of the puck retrieval puck handling.  Let Luca clear the net, joust on the boards, play his position, block shots.  He's got decent wheels and physicality.  We just have to shield him from overhandling the puck where he makes mistakes.

Same thing for Pedan BTW...

There is a way to keep both I'm sure. And we'll need the depth over the course of the year.

12 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

On waiving Sbisa..(big deal)

Look at Philly last yr with McDonald(5 more yrs at 5 mill/per?!) Now that's an albatross. So they waived him, as they had many young D to check out. Well, Ghost sure made a statement, huh? Sanheim, Morin, Hagg, PROVOROV..we shouldn't cry for Philly.

Benning has gotten much better with his signings..praise to the FSM! Such a poor signing often sets bad precedent for future negotiators(esp D seeking comparables). So play hard ball & nip that in the bud. If the kid performs, we can always recall. Another option will be to retain some bux, & deal for a pick. Only 2 more yrs..it's not dire, by any means.

Sending a guy like this down is a way to clearly state you've got to perform, if you want top-4 coin.

Like Philly did, we might get pleasant surprises from some other young D. This is a time to risk such a venture. One more poor finish(should it happen) won't be end of the world.

Sbisa may very well be traded at some point this season but there's a snowball's chance he'll be waived and you quite frankly FAR overstate how 'bad' his contract (and he) is.

1 minute ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Just an opinion.  Even though I appreciate the sentiment.

But I don't think Sbisa clears. Which again to some is a fine outcome. I also don't think we should kiss off an ok defenseman. Sbisa simply needs to play with a partner who does the majority of the puck retrieval puck handling.  Let Luca clear the net, joust on the boards, play his position, block shots.  He's got decent wheels and physicality.  We just have to shield him from overhandling the puck where he makes mistakes.

Same thing for Pedan BTW...

There is a way to keep both I'm sure. And we'll need the depth over the course of the year.

Fair enough, Surfer. I'd take that approach if he were paid 2 mill, or less. If I'm GM..you want coin? Perform.

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Sbisa may very well be traded at some point this season but there's a snowball's chance he'll be waived and you quite frankly FAR overstate how 'bad' his contract (and he) is.

You might be right, JR. In truth, hardly saw any game action, last season. What I saw from this guy the previous season, had me climbin the walls.

It's disingenuous for me to pretend otherwise. Perhaps have the least informed opinion(based on game viewing) of any poster on CDC! :^)

Just the same, have always liked a big, tough D, & I have faith in our kids.

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Fair enough, Surfer. I'd take that approach if he were paid 2 mill, or less. If I'm GM..you want coin? Perform.

I personally thought the contract was odd as well. Even the timing.  $1.6 mill (lowered by $2 mill as just suggested) might also be wishful thinking? But he has tided us over. And remains a viable 5th / 6th D. Its probably even a reason he could not be traded to clear space for Pedan as we speak? I don't disagree that it is far from a perfect contract.

But Benning seems to be improving in his doling out of contracts.  And we can probably leverage it for some useful depth. We certainly have to deal with it.

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I personally thought the contract was odd as well. Even the timing.  $1.6 mill (lowered by $2 mill as just suggested) might also be wishful thinking? But he has tided us over. And remains a viable 5th / 6th D. Its probably even a reason he could not be traded to clear space for Pedan as we speak? I don't disagree that it is far from a perfect contract.

But Benning seems to be improving in his doling out of contracts.  And we can probably leverage it for some useful depth. We certainly have to deal with it.

Yeah, JB took some heat for this one & Dorsett's. The latter I'm fine with, as DD takes a lotta lumps for the team.

Agree with you, Jimbo's pen IS gettin sharper. Alas, I've p*$$ed away my plusses...

7 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

You might be right, JR. In truth, hardly saw any game action, last season. What I saw from this guy the previous season, had me climbin the walls.

It's disingenuous for me to pretend otherwise. Perhaps have the least informed opinion(based on game viewing) of any poster on CDC! :^)

Just the same, have always liked a big, tough D, & I have faith in our kids.

He's a young, solid 4/5 D with good skating, physicality and has played well particularly when partnered with a more cerebral puck mover. He's excellent at retrieving pucks but tends to over-think if asked to move the puck himself (hence playing well with a puck mover). Also helps to have forwards knowing where they should be to give him simple outlet passes when his partner might not be available.

He can also play top 4 in a pinch if there's injuries.

A bargain contract for a player like that would be around $2.7-$3m, a fair contract likely $3-$3.5.

He's making $3.6, hardly the 'terrible' value you implied.

Archived