The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign D Andrey Pedan and F Alexandre Grenier

My 2 favourite underdogs in our system..  Hope Grenier and Pedan are training hard and drinking lots of "Steamer Smyl" root beer ;)

Pedan has that edge,.  Grenier needs to sharpen it,.  these bigger boys need a fire in their belly and it all comes together,. Seems like the Boom or Bust year for them with us... Hope things go Boom!  And management has some tough or interesting options.

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Waive Sbisa(no one grabs his contract)

That asset management!

I think this is a bad idea - and that you'd be surprised - that Sbisa doesn't clear, not in this market for defensemen.

Waiving the team's #5 (that can step up when needed)....perhaps if this were a tank show that throws assets away.

I think he has more value than you realize.

I think it was a no-brainer to re-sign Pedan and Grenier.

They may be lost if the team has to expose them, but that's not really reason to forego re-signing them.

It's also possible that the team isn't completely healthy heading into the season, so there's a chance no one has to be waived, at least not from the get go.

But at the very least they should have a shot in camp to come in and command a spot - and you never know.

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Waive Sbisa(no one grabs his contract) over Pedan.. Love to see the team have ample size & grit, especially on EVERY D pairing.

Edler  ..Gud

Hutton  ..Try man

Pedan  ..Larssen/Biega

Deal the brilliant Tanev(maybe with CBJ's 2nd?) for a Landeskog/Nylander type of return.

Skill up front.

Nasty size on D.

Great 'tending.

I was thinking something similar: The Canucks have the potential to have size and toughness on each D-pairing.

I think the D line-up you propose is too risky to start the season with, but I could see it happening by the end of the year if things go well. The combination of Edler and Gudbranson could work as a #1 pairing if Gudbranson continues to make progress. Tryamkin could potentially play top 4, and Pedan and Larssen could by a good 3rd pairing, with Larssen playing PP.

Your proposal to trade Tanev is not popular. And Tanev is a good player. But, as you point out, he has high trade value and if the Canucks could get a good, young potential first liner in return that could be a good move, provided the other Ds progress as we hope.

And, as for Sbisa, apparently the Canucks were trying to trade him and could not find anyone interested in his contract (not a big surprise). But Sbisa is a decent player and is solid in the bottom pairing. His cap hit is expensive for that role, but he is certainly ahead of Biega on the depth chart and he can play the right side if necessary. And he will be ahead of Pedan and Larssen as well until those guys show they are better over an extended period.  So I think Sbisa starts the season on the third pairing, but things could change during the season. 

Pedan averaged 3.1 hits per game last season. Pretty good for his first 13 NHL games.

If he could keep up that level of physical play, over the course of a full season he would have been somewhere around the top 10 for hits in the league.

13 minutes ago, oldnews said:

That asset management!

I think this is a bad idea - and that you'd be surprised - that Sbisa doesn't clear, not in this market for defensemen.

Waiving the team's #5 (that can step up when needed)....perhaps if this were a tank show that throws assets away.

I think he has more value than you realize.

May well be, ON. As I told JR, I honestly haven't seen enough game action to know if that kid has adequately progressed. He also seems a good bloke, well-liked by teammates.

In my case, it was more a matter of faith that a couple more of our kids can leap(similar to Hutton) up to the bigs. Sbisa's a gamer..but Pedan has big-league muscle.

Tired of seeing this team getting sand kicked in their face.

10 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I was thinking something similar: The Canucks have the potential to have size and toughness on each D-pairing.

I think the D line-up you propose is too risky to start the season with, but I could see it happening by the end of the year if things go well. The combination of Edler and Gudbranson could work as a #1 pairing if Gudbranson continues to make progress. Tryamkin could potentially play top 4, and Pedan and Larssen could by a good 3rd pairing, with Larssen playing PP.

Your proposal to trade Tanev is not popular. And Tanev is a good player. But, as you point out, he has high trade value and if the Canucks could get a good, young potential first liner in return that could be a good move, provided the other Ds progress as we hope.

And, as for Sbisa, apparently the Canucks were trying to trade him and could not find anyone interested in his contract (not a big surprise). But Sbisa is a decent player and is solid in the bottom pairing. His cap hit is expensive for that role, but he is certainly ahead of Biega on the depth chart and he can play the right side if necessary. And he will be ahead of Pedan and Larssen as well until those guys show they are better over an extended period.  So I think Sbisa starts the season on the third pairing, but things could change during the season. 

All reasonable & well-stated, JB..but you & I know, every camp(& preceding summer of training) will mean surprises are in store...

16 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

May well be, ON. As I told JR, I honestly haven't seen enough game action to know if that kid has adequately progressed. He also seems a good bloke, well-liked by teammates.

In my case, it was more a matter of faith that a couple more of our kids can leap(similar to Hutton) up to the bigs. Sbisa's a gamer..but Pedan has big-league muscle.

Tired of seeing this team getting sand kicked in their face.

I think people in this market formed a warped opinion of Sbisa based on a couple things that really misrepresent him.

1) The first few months he was here - wasn't comfortable yet with the team's systems, perhaps tried a bit too hard and his puck movement was too risky.  Once he got comfortable and simplified his first pass in his own zone, he literally improved a great deal in a short span of time.

2) Some really oversimplified and awful 'analytics' that were ridiculous - to the point of being difficult to distinguish from mere dramatic trolling of the player dressed up in 'fancy stats' terms.  Sbisa became a whipping boy for people that had an axe to grind with Benning, but in the end, bears little resemblance to the ways he's been represented.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

I think people in this marked  formed a warped opinion of Sbisa based on a couple things that really misrepresent him.

1) The first few months he was here - wasn't comfortable yet with the team's systems, perhaps tried a bit too hard and his puck movement was too risky.  Once he got comfortable and simplified his first pass in his own zone, he literally improved a great deal in a short span of time.

2) Some really oversimplified and awful 'analytics' that were ridiculous - to the point of being difficult to distinguish from mere dramatic trolling of the player dressed up in 'fancy stats' terms.  Sbisa became a whipping boy for people that had an axe to grind with Benning, but in the end, bears little resemblance to the ways he's been represented.

Also your mentioning asset-mgt. Overall, pretty happy with the return we got for Kes.

Sutter & Gud. Obviously there were other assets moving 'round, but we've gotten younger, wiser, & added some good size.

Hypothetically even if you gave Sbisa away, I'd be pleased to see us enter a season with almost 10% of the cap limit, free to play with.

As some teams fall back(Dec, Jan), they'll be likely to offer decent vets, to manoeuvre for coming expansion. Strongly feel this is a great time to position ourselves with ample cap/flexible roster.

If Pedan shows improvement at camp, the nucks will likely carry him.  Remember they did try him out at forward last year to see if he could handle the different responsibility so I can see them using him very similarly to how Yannick Weber was used earlier in his career and should have been used while he was here although injuries dictated that he play more D than he really was capable of.

My worry with exposing Pedan on waivers is that he's the type of player GM's would love to have and scoop up on waivers. He's a big, young fast skater who can check hard. I mean, he won the fastest skater competition at the skills comp this past season... and he was the biggest guy there. That says something.

Honestly, if it came down to keep one of Biega or Pedan. You send down Biega. Sure, Biega is on a "one way contract" but part of the reason he got that contract is because he's an elite AHL defenseman and elite AHL players get "elite AHL money" so his one way contract (which is valued at less then a mill yearly) is worth it. Every team in the NHL has a Biega that helps anchor their AHL teams so they can try and have a winning culture down there -- so it makes sense for the Canucks to have that guy too... and I know the Canucks just signed Chad Billins but I think of Billins as the kind of guy who replaces Taylor Fedun. He makes Utica better and he's the kind of guy who has an outside shot of getting a callup if the Canucks get super thin on the d-corps this season because of injuries.

I also am not opposed to sending Luca Sbisa down if he doesn't earn his spot. I don't think the Canucks are afraid to send down vets being paid good money who are unperforming. In what was a pathetic season last year, the Canucks managed to send down both Brandon Prust and Chris Higgins without much hesitation. I wouldn't be shocked if the Canucks do it again with Sbisa. The thing with Sbisa is that his salary isn't *that* bad and if he clears waivers (which is pretty much a guarantee)... he can be brought up and down making him a more useful utility piece then having him be guaranteed a roster spot based on his salary. I get the feeling that Willie D this season is going to ice a lineup that's earned being there as opposed to icing a lineup based on the salaries of guys who happened to be getting paid a lot based on supposed past success. This is a redemption year for not only the Canucks but Willie D as a coach since he's coming up to a contract year and if he isn't successful this season he'll be let go without hesitation by Linden/Benning.

Also, when it comes to the defense corps... I wouldn't count out Subban, Stecher, and Juolevi from throwing a wrench into things. I could see Juolevi getting a 9 game tryout... and I could see Stecher pulling a Hutton and sticking with the big club. (Stecher's rise is eerily similar to Hutton's already as Hutton had a standout rookie development camp last summer before blowing training camp up with his dominate play). Juolevi probably needs another season in the OHL or, if he's a player in that weird Euro/CHL loophole about being loaned from a Euro team, could benefit from playing a year in the AHL. Subban's got an uphill climb because he's waiver eligible so he may just be sent down to only be called up later in the season.

That said, as it stands, and barring any trades/injuries/signings/waier picks... I sort of see the Canucks d-corps being as follows next season:

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Tryamkin - Larsen

Mix of Stecher, Pedan, Sbisa, and Biega making up the extra d-corps. If Pedan/Biega the extra guys I expect them to come in and out of the lineup with Tryamkin and Larsen depending on the game. If Stecher makes the big club out of training camp, I expect Larsen to be the extra guy with one of Biega and/or Sbisa being sent down.

---

Now onto the forwards....

I really like Grenier. I've been a fan of his for years. He's been getting better with each season and is really coming into his own. I liked what I saw from him in his first callup but got a little worried with his second callup. If I'm not mistaken, I think he may have been battling an injury during his second callup which would explain his issues. He also looked out of place playing alongside the Sedin's... but I've seen worse players paired with the Sedins.

In my mind, Grenier is a very good #13 guy. He's tall, he scores, and should slot in as a bottom six winger. He needs to use his body more but if he's given a legitimate shot in the NHL, I'm sure he'll adjust his play to stick around. He's the kind of player I could see notching in 10-15 goals in the bottom six if given a full season.

I also think Grenier is the type of player who'll get snagged on waivers if exposed. If Landon Ferraro gets picked up on waivers, Grenier most certainly does. It's not very often that a cheap, 6'5" winger with goal scoring potential hits the market and he's at that age where he's not going to be snuck through the waiver market because of his age. He's a guy who either makes the Canucks or gets claimed and plays elsewhere this season. That's my opinion.

The Canucks are in a weird spot because they've got a few quality bottom six players who deserve to be upgraded to the NHL. The two that stick in my mind outside of Grenier are Zalewski and Gaunce. We also have Jayson Megna and Michael Chaput battling for spots. I don't expect Chaput or Megna to really snag a bottom six role... but they could. Gaunce probably will be sent down again because he's not waiver eligible. I do think Zalewski has a shot at making the big club. I really liked what I saw of him in his NHL callup last season and he looked like he kept getting better and better last season in Utica as well.

With Rodin all but guaranteed to make the big club (and play a role similar to what Baertschi played last season), I could see one of Etem or Virtanen being sent to Utica. My gut sort of says they'd send Etem down over Virtanen... but now that Virtanen is AHL eligible he may benefit the most being in the AHL. I could see him thriving over the course of next season if he's given a top six role in Utica and really allowed to groom his offensive game since he's a very strong checker and a good defensive player.

If that's the case, I could see the Canucks lineup playing out something like this (barring any trades/signings/waiver pickups/injuries):

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Baertschi - Sutter - Hansen

Rodin - Horvat - Burrows

Granlund - Zalewski - Dorsett

Extras combo of: Etem, Grenier, Megna, Chaput, Virtanen, Gaunce or Borna Rendulic fighting for the extra forwards positions. With my picks being Etem and Grenier as the extra forwards... with Virtanen and Gaunce being the first callups.

That would mean the team would be icing a group consisting of:

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Rodin - Horvat - Burrows

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Tryamkin - Larsen/Stecher

Extras: Grenier, Etem, Pedan, and/or Biega, Sbisa

Is this a playoff team? Probably not... but I like the youngness of the team, that's for sure. THere's lots of potential with this group.

19 minutes ago, Quantum said:

My worry with exposing Pedan on waivers is that he's the type of player GM's would love to have and scoop up on waivers. He's a big, young fast skater who can check hard. I mean, he won the fastest skater competition at the skills comp this past season... and he was the biggest guy there. That says something.

Honestly, if it came down to keep one of Biega or Pedan. You send down Biega. Sure, Biega is on a "one way contract" but part of the reason he got that contract is because he's an elite AHL defenseman and elite AHL players get "elite AHL money" so his one way contract (which is valued at less then a mill yearly) is worth it. Every team in the NHL has a Biega that helps anchor their AHL teams so they can try and have a winning culture down there -- so it makes sense for the Canucks to have that guy too... and I know the Canucks just signed Chad Billins but I think of Billins as the kind of guy who replaces Taylor Fedun. He makes Utica better and he's the kind of guy who has an outside shot of getting a callup if the Canucks get super thin on the d-corps this season because of injuries.

I also am not opposed to sending Luca Sbisa down if he doesn't earn his spot. I don't think the Canucks are afraid to send down vets being paid good money who are unperforming. In what was a pathetic season last year, the Canucks managed to send down both Brandon Prust and Chris Higgins without much hesitation. I wouldn't be shocked if the Canucks do it again with Sbisa. The thing with Sbisa is that his salary isn't *that* bad and if he clears waivers (which is pretty much a guarantee)... he can be brought up and down making him a more useful utility piece then having him be guaranteed a roster spot based on his salary. I get the feeling that Willie D this season is going to ice a lineup that's earned being there as opposed to icing a lineup based on the salaries of guys who happened to be getting paid a lot based on supposed past success. This is a redemption year for not only the Canucks but Willie D as a coach since he's coming up to a contract year and if he isn't successful this season he'll be let go without hesitation by Linden/Benning.

Also, when it comes to the defense corps... I wouldn't count out Subban, Stecher, and Juolevi from throwing a wrench into things. I could see Juolevi getting a 9 game tryout... and I could see Stecher pulling a Hutton and sticking with the big club. (Stecher's rise is eerily similar to Hutton's already as Hutton had a standout rookie development camp last summer before blowing training camp up with his dominate play). Juolevi probably needs another season in the OHL or, if he's a player in that weird Euro/CHL loophole about being loaned from a Euro team, could benefit from playing a year in the AHL. Subban's got an uphill climb because he's waiver eligible so he may just be sent down to only be called up later in the season.

That said, as it stands, and barring any trades/injuries/signings/waier picks... I sort of see the Canucks d-corps being as follows next season:

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Tryamkin - Larsen

Mix of Stecher, Pedan, Sbisa, and Biega making up the extra d-corps. If Pedan/Biega the extra guys I expect them to come in and out of the lineup with Tryamkin and Larsen depending on the game. If Stecher makes the big club out of training camp, I expect Larsen to be the extra guy with one of Biega and/or Sbisa being sent down.

---

Now onto the forwards....

I really like Grenier. I've been a fan of his for years. He's been getting better with each season and is really coming into his own. I liked what I saw from him in his first callup but got a little worried with his second callup. If I'm not mistaken, I think he may have been battling an injury during his second callup which would explain his issues. He also looked out of place playing alongside the Sedin's... but I've seen worse players paired with the Sedins.

In my mind, Grenier is a very good #13 guy. He's tall, he scores, and should slot in as a bottom six winger. He needs to use his body more but if he's given a legitimate shot in the NHL, I'm sure he'll adjust his play to stick around. He's the kind of player I could see notching in 10-15 goals in the bottom six if given a full season.

I also think Grenier is the type of player who'll get snagged on waivers if exposed. If Landon Ferraro gets picked up on waivers, Grenier most certainly does. It's not very often that a cheap, 6'5" winger with goal scoring potential hits the market and he's at that age where he's not going to be snuck through the waiver market because of his age. He's a guy who either makes the Canucks or gets claimed and plays elsewhere this season. That's my opinion.

The Canucks are in a weird spot because they've got a few quality bottom six players who deserve to be upgraded to the NHL. The two that stick in my mind outside of Grenier are Zalewski and Gaunce. We also have Jayson Megna and Michael Chaput battling for spots. I don't expect Chaput or Megna to really snag a bottom six role... but they could. Gaunce probably will be sent down again because he's not waiver eligible. I do think Zalewski has a shot at making the big club. I really liked what I saw of him in his NHL callup last season and he looked like he kept getting better and better last season in Utica as well.

With Rodin all but guaranteed to make the big club (and play a role similar to what Baertschi played last season), I could see one of Etem or Virtanen being sent to Utica. My gut sort of says they'd send Etem down over Virtanen... but now that Virtanen is AHL eligible he may benefit the most being in the AHL. I could see him thriving over the course of next season if he's given a top six role in Utica and really allowed to groom his offensive game since he's a very strong checker and a good defensive player.

If that's the case, I could see the Canucks lineup playing out something like this (barring any trades/signings/waiver pickups/injuries):

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Rodin - Horvat - Burrows

Extras combo of: Etem, Grenier, Megna, Chaput, Virtanen, Gaunce or Borna Rendulic fighting for the extra forwards positions. With my picks being Etem and Grenier as the extra forwards... with Virtanen and Gaunce being the first callups.

That would mean the team would be icing a group consisting of:

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Rodin - Horvat - Burrows

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Tryamkin - Larsen/Stecher

Extras: Grenier, Etem, Pedan, and/or Biega, Sbisa

Is this a playoff team? Probably not... but I like the youngness of the team, that's for sure. THere's lots of potential with this group.

Solid post. + 1 buck, from one who's penniless :^)

Something that hasn't really been talked about much lately is that there's still a good chance that Virtanen starts next year in Utica where he will get top line minutes and a chance to work on his defensive game. I think Travis Green is exactly what he needs to become a more complete player.

This would also give a guy like Grenier a chance to show his worth at the NHL level. Personally, I think Grenier has what it takes to be a bottom 6 NHL forward for a long time. He hasn't looked out of place at all in the few games he's played so far and probably deserved to get into more games. I also believe Gaunce is ready, so I don't see him being sent down.

Like previous posters have mentioned, it is pretty much 100% certain that we will have to carry 8 dmen to start the season. I've mentioned this in previous posts - Biega isn't going anywhere as he is likely our only eligible option on D to leave unprotected for the expansion draft.

In an ideal world, Sbisa will be traded ASAP. But if there aren't any takers, we will lose one of Pedan or Larsen to waivers. 

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

If we're carrying 8 D-men I don't see any way Grenier is on the opening roster unless either Rodin flops or Virtanen starts in Utica.

Sedin Sedin Eriksson

Burrows Sutter Hansen

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

Etem Granlund Dorsett

Rodin

That being said I think a trade is almost a certainty at this point. That top 6 isn't gonna cut it if they plan on making the playoffs. 

I agree, that would be a horrible 2nd line. I don't see Burrows or Hansen in our top 6 unless they're playing with the twins. I'm also not convinced Sutter is a legitimate top 6 centre and I wouldn't be surprised to see Horvat take that spot. 

3 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Waive Sbisa(no one grabs his contract) over Pedan.. Love to see the team have ample size & grit, especially on EVERY D pairing.

Edler  ..Gud

Hutton  ..Try man

Pedan  ..Larssen/Biega

Deal the brilliant Tanev(maybe with CBJ's 2nd?) for a Landeskog/Nylander type of return.

Skill up front.

Nasty size on D.

Great 'tending.

Tanev, Hansen, and our 2nd MIGHT get that 60 point forward we're looking for. 

24 minutes ago, whytelight said:

Tanev, Hansen, and our 2nd MIGHT get that 60 point forward we're looking for. 

If JB traded that package for a 2nd line LW he'd be fired on the spot.

You don't create 2 holes PLUS throw in our 2nd best draft pick just to fill one other hole. 

If JB wanted a 60 point player then Tanev alone would net that. I'm pretty sure he has a NTC though. That and I don't JB has any interest whatsoever in trading Tanev.

We'd be better off keeping our assets and scooping up one of the better left over UFAs. They won't get you 60 points but even 40 points would be better than throwing Burrows or Virtanen on the 2nd line.

Archived