The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Just a quick question

Hey CDC, I have a quick question and you can delete this thread if you want after but does larsson and Rodin have to be protected in the expansion draft? Wouldn't that be a problem because larsson and Rodin seem like they have good skill sets to have a good year. Ik theres probably a lot of threads about this but just answer my question plz and delete. Have an awesome day.

Larsen will be a UFA at the end of the season. The Canucks don't need to protect him unless they sign him to an extension beforehand. 

Rodin would need to be protected if they do not want to risk losing him to expansion.  He will be RFA and is not exempt.

I would like to piggy back another question regarding expansion onto this thread.

Any player with more than 2 years of professional hockey is exposed in expansion draft assuming their team doesn't protect them. At the end of this coming season, Virtanen will have 2 full years of professional hockey and a handfull of playoff games with Utica from the season before last. Do those playoff games bring him over two years and expose him, or did he have to play a certain amount of games with Utica that season for it to count?

6 minutes ago, Bigturk8 said:

I would like to piggy back another question regarding expansion onto this thread.

Any player with more than 2 years of professional hockey is exposed in expansion draft assuming their team doesn't protect them. At the end of this coming season, Virtanen will have 2 full years of professional hockey and a handfull of playoff games with Utica from the season before last. Do those playoff games bring him over two years and expose him, or did he have to play a certain amount of games with Utica that season for it to count?

They are apparently using the ELC slide rule for the definition of pro-years (- the CBA has several different definitions). 

Under that rule, for a year to count as pro-year for an 18 or 19 year old - it needs to be 10 NHL games. 

Virtanen is therefore exempt.

Nylander is exempt although he played as a 19 year old in the AHL - he had no NHL games.  Even Shinkaruk is exempt because he was considered to be 19 year old in his first year in the AHL (his draft+1 year because of his late birthday).

4 hours ago, mll said:

They are apparently using the ELC slide rule for the definition of pro-years (- the CBA has several different definitions). 

Under that rule, for a year to count as pro-year for an 18 or 19 year old - it needs to be 10 NHL games. 

Virtanen is therefore exempt.

Nylander is exempt although he played as a 19 year old in the AHL - he had no NHL games.  Even Shinkaruk is exempt because he was considered to be 19 year old in his first year in the AHL (his draft+1 year because of his late birthday).

Awesome. Thanks for the response!

Las Vegas picks one player from each team, so we will lose one roster player.  We must expose one D man and two forwards who are under contract in 2017-2018 and played 40 games in the past season, or 70 games over the past two seasons (in the NHL).

We get to protect seven forwards, three defenseman and one goalie, or eight skaters and one goaltender (one of the eight skaters can be another goalie).  A lot of our young prospects will be safe and we won't have to waist protecting them.

Thanks for that Sid.  Nice tool.  (The link, I mean.)

Protect:

Sedin, Sedin, Eriksson, Sutter, Hansen, Baertschi, Horvat, Edler, Tanev, Gudbranson, Markstrom

Expose: Burrows, Dorsett, Rodin, Granlund, Gaunce, Etem,Zalewski, Megna, Chaput, Grenier, Rendulic, Sbisa, Larsen, Biega, Pedan, Billins, McEneny, Miller, Bachman

There are a few players in the exposed list I'd like to see more of, but none that you could say are likely to be a huge loss.  (At least at this point.  Who knows what Rodin and Larsen might be able to bring to the table)

1 minute ago, kloubek said:

Thanks for that Sid.  Nice tool.  (The link, I mean.)

Protect:

Sedin, Sedin, Eriksson, Sutter, Hansen, Baertschi, Horvat, Edler, Tanev, Gudbranson, Markstrom

Expose: Burrows, Dorsett, Rodin, Granlund, Gaunce, Etem,Zalewski, Megna, Chaput, Grenier, Rendulic, Sbisa, Larsen, Biega, Pedan, Billins, McEneny, Miller, Bachman

UFAs cannot be exposed.  Need to find the 2Fs and 1Ds with the game requirements among players that are signed or RFA.

Goalie is solved - Bachman.

Assuming the 5 regular Ds are protected/exempt: Gudbranson, Edler, Tanev, Hutton, Tryamkin - the 6th D cannot be Larsen for an extended period of time because he is UFA.  So either Pedan or Sbisa need to play 40 games or Biega 19.

Archived