The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

next move by linden and benning

hockeygod77

you have great core of skill players..as far as the back end it looks like a good mix with a few of them needing to tough up a bit...the forwards look ok but linden needs to sign a player like scott the all star goon...if anyone take liberties on the young guns they need more than dorsett to do it all...its out of hockey they say but fighting intimidation and getting pushed around is always present in anything you do in life..just in many ways...you need the gritty and you need the policeman to make sure they don't take cheap shots on canuck stars..seen it too many times and all I'm saying that role player is hard find...

2 minutes ago, hockeygod77 said:

you have great core of skill players..as far as the back end it looks like a good mix with a few of them needing to tough up a bit...the forwards look ok but linden needs to sign a player like scott the all star goon...if anyone take liberties on the young guns they need more than dorsett to do it all...

We signed Errikson though. B)

the only way a team gets away from this if the team toughness is elevated...everyone gets tougher...you see it in bchl whl etc...itsbeen there and part of the game...good teams have that toughness which i like in gunbradson and good teams don't get pushed around.so yes look hard find a guy thats hard to find..you don't want a goon thats only a goon..needs a brain and knows how things work..end of story.

this is 2016 not 1996.

Those kind of players who are only useful for their fighting abilities are pretty much inefficient since the instigator rule and there is only a few left, if any.

Tough teams have skill players that are tough/big and can defend themselves, with the biggest heavyweights being Chara and Lucic.  Pittsburgh/Chicago never had an enforcer to protect Crosby/Malkin or Toews/Kane.

25 minutes ago, hockeygod77 said:

you have great core of skill players..as far as the back end it looks like a good mix with a few of them needing to tough up a bit...the forwards look ok but linden needs to sign a player like scott the all star goon...if anyone take liberties on the young guns they need more than dorsett to do it all...its out of hockey they say but fighting intimidation and getting pushed around is always present in anything you do in life..just in many ways...you need the gritty and you need the policeman to make sure they don't take cheap shots on canuck stars..seen it too many times and all I'm saying that role player is hard find...

john scott lol..

gubdranson seems to be the guy youre looking for

the only way a team gets away from this if the team toughness is elevated...everyone gets tougher...you see it in bchl whl etc...itsbeen there and part of the game...good teams have that toughness which i like in gunbradson and good teams don't get pushed around.so yes look hard find a guy thats hard to find..you don't want a goon thats only a goon..needs a brain and knows how things work..end of story.

Goons are a thing of the past. For a team that is trying to transition on the fly, a goon, regardless of some skill is a step in the wrong direction. 

Yeah, I think team toughness is still a bit lacking. If we can be as tough as early 2000, WCE era Canucks, we would be good to go.

Brashear

Bertuzzi

May

Jovo

Ohlund (dropped gloves from time to time and was tough although not the best fighter)

Murray

Cloutier

Cooke (cheap I know but players didn't want to mess around because of his cheapness)

Ruutu (no fighter but gritty and dirty)

Sopel (not a figher but a big guy, hard to push around)

Klatt (grit)

Allen

I guess with the way the NHL is now, we don't have a spot for an enforcer like Brashear. So I guess NO to John Scott. We need a gritty forward with a bit or a nastiness or a bit of dirtiness like Ruutu or a less cheap version of Cooke. We don't have one at the moment:

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Baertschi-Horvat-Etem

Rodin-Sutter-Hansen

Gaunce-Granlund-Dorsett

Burrows

I like all of the players above but we have way too many nice guys.

Are we talking toughness, checking ability, or fighting ability? 

For toughness, I think we are somewhat ok.  People may label players like the Sedins and Eriksson soft, but they really aren't.  Overall, I think we are generally ok, and don't have any Raymonds on the team any longer.

For checking ability, we are a bit lacking in the forward positions (forechecking may not be our forte this season), but have more than enough in the back end.  I'd like to think an all-out hit from a guy like Tryamkin is worth about the same as 2, 3, or 4 hits that players usually receive.  Virtanen will help the cause as he gets inserted into the lineup as well.

For fighting, we are certainly lacking.  We have a couple of willing combatants, but nobody who is our "goon" who can win fights regularly.  Gudbranson is probably the best but even he only wins slightly over half the time.  But in today's league, I don't think having a guy out there on the ice who can fight but do nothing else is what teams are looking for. 

So is this the "next move" Benning and co. need to do?  I'd say not at all.  The "next thing" that is needed is to get a winger to shore up our secondary scoring, and add more checking ability into that forward lineup.

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

If you get a chance to sign as a free agent the MVP of the NHL  Allstar game from last season......

You DO IT>

Sign Big JOhn Scott now.

sarcasm? he wasn't exactly mvp for his on-ice performance...

I recall Naslund talking about Wade Brookbank. ( Bloodbank) ..... he said every player on the bench is 6" taller with Wade was on the bench. I think Gudbranson and Tryamkin will garner respect for the team and who know Virtanen in another year or two. I remember when Harold Sneptz was called up from the Totems and beat the crap out of Dave Schultz then when the trade with Chicago brought Jerry Korab who again went right after Schultz. Prior to that the joke used to be the coach couldn't be heard in the Vcr dressing room because of the noise of knees knocking  :lol:

Archived