The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Leafs sign F Auston Matthews [3 year ELC]

2 minutes ago, Type R said:

The Leafs have the tools now to compete.  A couple of other acquisitions and they may be able to go deep.  I say 2-3 years, and they will be regulars at the playoffs.

Echoes of the Oilers when they drafted Taylor Hall...

Just now, D-Money said:

Echoes of the Oilers when they drafted Taylor Hall...

Weren't the Leafs at the dance in 2013?  They've got the front end talent, the goal tender, and the coach, just need to shore up the defense.  I'm no Leafs fan, but you have to admit, the pieces are there.

14 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I thought Lou didn't do signing bonuses for rookies?

He didn't in NJ.   He also didn't allow players to have long hair, excessive facial hair,  or wear several numbers he didn't approve of like #13.  He also had very strict rules limiting fan access to the team and overall organization. 

But most of that would never fly in TO. 

Shanny probably told him this isn't 1975 anymore,  teams don't own players like they used to. 

That and Matthews is their meal-ticket so don't cause waves, just give him max everything. 

30 minutes ago, Losing With Pride said:

As expected, the new saviour for the Maple Leafs.

They've got a great relatively young group going forward.

Just to name a few...

Matthews, Reily, Marner, Kadri, JVR, Gardiner, Kapanen, Nylander

I'd throw Frederik Anderson in there as well.

37 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I thought Lou didn't do signing bonuses for rookies?

Yeah, kinda hilarious that after everything, it looks like, based on the cap websites, they've given Matthews the maximum allowable ELC (925,000/70,000; 10% signing bonus; 850K schedule A bonuses; 2 million schedule B bonuses).

Should have just handed him a rookie max deal from the start and been done with it.

4 minutes ago, smokes said:

My question is why isn't Juolevi signed? So far I think everyone in the top six is signed but the Canucks.

It'll happen. It seems management prioritized UFAs then RFAs and are now looking at prospects. The Zalewski/Pedan/Grenier signings should be the last of the RFAs. 

I'm with you, the sooner we sign him the better. It would give the Canucks more control on his future, if they were to loan his rights to a Finnish team, or allow Juolevi to make some bank in Europe. 

Waiting didn't help either. Tkachuk got the max for a 6th overall pick, and you have to think the Canucks will at least match that.  

Archived