The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Van - Tampa Bay

Now, before you get your pitchforks out and get the CDC gallows out of storage, give me a chance. 

The Canucks are looking for a second line winger who can contribute offensively, who skates well, has a good two-way game and has some size. The player that fits that bill to me, that no one really mentions is Ondrej Palat. 

I've liked Palat for a while now and think he could be a guy the Canucks target in a trade. 

Tampa Bay

Ondrej Palat

Vancouver 

Jannik Hansen

Jordan Subban

In Hansen Tampa gets a versatile winger who can play up and down the line up, has speed, a bit of size and a great two way game. They get a defensive prospect in Subban, who, in my opinion, probably won't play an NHL game in Vancouver. Tampa also gets a little cap relief in the deal, but they're getting a player who is 5 years older than Palat. 

Tampa is in "win now" mode, and adding a guy with a few more years experience in the league, a player like Hansen, could help them in that "win now" mode. 

Pitch forks ready? Gallows good to go? Alright. Let me have it. 

8 minutes ago, Jamie Huscroft said:

Now, before you get your pitchforks out and get the CDC gallows out of storage, give me a chance. 

The Canucks are looking for a second line winger who can contribute offensively, who skates well, has a good two-way game and has some size. The player that fits that bill to me, that no one really mentions is Ondrej Palat. 

I've liked Palat for a while now and think he could be a guy the Canucks target in a trade. 

Tampa Bay

Ondrej Palat

Vancouver 

Jannik Hansen

Jordan Subban

In Hansen Tampa gets a versatile winger who can play up and down the line up, has speed, a bit of size and a great two way game. They get a defensive prospect in Subban, who, in my opinion, probably won't play an NHL game in Vancouver. Tampa also gets a little cap relief in the deal, but they're getting a player who is 5 years older than Palat. 

Tampa is in "win now" mode, and adding a guy with a few more years experience in the league, a player like Hansen, could help them in that "win now" mode. 

Pitch forks ready? Gallows good to go? Alright. Let me have it. 

I'd do that in a heart beat.

I wanted to avoid the 1st round pick, mostly because as much as Vancouver has gotten better, or attempted to, I don't see them as a playoff team this year, so that 1st is a very valuable pick. 

As for a prospect, I think you're right, Subban is more of a thrown in, so maybe we'd have to include someone else - hopefully not a Grade A. 

1 minute ago, GettinGuddyWithIt said:

I'd do that in a heart beat.

So would I, but I wanted to try and think a little from Tampa's perspective. Having thought about it a little more, I think we would need to include another player, one who is maybe a little more NHL ready. 

2 minutes ago, Jamie Huscroft said:

So would I, but I wanted to try and think a little from Tampa's perspective. Having thought about it a little more, I think we would need to include another player, one who is maybe a little more NHL ready. 

Maybe Granlund? Or a draft pick.

6 minutes ago, GettinGuddyWithIt said:

Maybe Granlund? Or a draft pick.

Granlund is a maybe for me. To be terribly honest, I don't have a lot of high hopes for him developing into a regular top six guy. I'd love to be wrong on this, but I think he will be a checking centre. Not to take value away from that, you need a good 3C, but I think he's a few years out on that too. 

I have zero hopes of Granlund becoming a top six guy.  To me, he's a 3rd line center at best, in his prime.  Nothing we couldn't have out of a guy like, say, Gaunce.  I'd happily add him to the deal.  And since Benning loves giving out 2nd's, we could give them our 2nd from Columbus as well.

I really don't know what it would take to pry Palat out of the hands of Tampa, but I don't think the proposed assets would be close to getting it done.  Add in a guy like Granlund and the 2nd, and perhaps we're getting closer.  (And ONLY because of their cap space issues and the fact he will require a new contract, plus it looks like Palat took a step back last year.  The year prior, he was darn year a point a game player)

3 minutes ago, kloubek said:

(And ONLY because it looks like Palat took a step back last year.  The year prior, he was darn year a point a game player)

That's why I think it might be easier to get him away - maybe not as easy as Hansen and Subban (or another prospect).

Also, with Drouin looking like he's going to stick around, it opens up that LW spot for Tampa to look into moving Palat. 

1 minute ago, kloubek said:

I'm thinking Tampa would be much more inclined to lose Filppula.  He is paid more (though likely around the same amount once Palat gets his new contract), is older, and had an even worse year.

Yeah, excellent point. Though I think Filppula still has a bit of value for them as he can play centre too and goes well on special teams. 

I like your valuation, as TBay is over a barrel(boohoo, they've TOO much talent). So I wouldn't overpay..problem is, for Palat someone probably will.

Limerickian analysis:

Overall would say this is Palatable

An effort that's surely laudable

No nits here to pick

But a 1st does the trick

Let's just hope that Stevie's amenable :^)

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a terrible deal.

Just would rather JB focus on acquiring someone for the top 6 who actually has some grit to his game.  We don't have the type of roster anymore that will scare other teams with our sheer talent and offensive capabilities - we need to add some size/grit to compete with the likes of, well, everyone else in the West.   

Just now, Fanuck said:

Just would rather JB focus on acquiring someone for the top 6 who actually has some grit to his game.  We don't have the type of roster anymore that will scare other teams with our sheer talent and offensive capabilities - we need to add some size/grit to compete with the likes of, well, everyone else in the West.  

I understand where you're coming from, but I think it's still worth it to bring in a talented legit top 6 winger, especially from a team that has a a surplus of talent.

Palat may not be the most physically imposing player out there, but I think as a team if you're capable of putting up 4 goals a night, it forces teams to play hockey and not run around after skilled guys. 

Also, if the Lightning do decide to keep Drouin, which at this point it looks like that's going to happen (given his fantastic playoffs), they will need to pay him, he's an RFA after this season. 

I would be surprised if this time next year, or even before that really, if Palat's name isn't thrown around as trade bait should Drouin continue the level of play he displayed in the playoffs. 

Archived