The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Jets re-sign F Brandon Tanev [1 year x $874,125k]

The Winnipeg Jets announced they have agreed to terms with restricted free agent forward Brandon Tanev on a one-year, two-way contract worth an AAV of $874,125 in the NHL.

Tanev, 24, signed with the Jets as a free agent on March 30, 2016, after completing his senior year at Providence College. He played in three games with Winnipeg but did not register a point.

While at Providence, Tanev tallied 28 points (15G, 13A) in 38 games in 2015-16. He also helped the Friars win the 2015 NCAA Men’s Hockey Championship, scoring the game-winning goal in the championship final against Boston University. Tanev finished his NCAA career with 77 points (35G, 42A) in 149 games. He joined Providence College after playing junior hockey with the Surrey Eagles of the British Columbia Hockey League.

The Toronto native is the younger brother of Vancouver Canucks’ defenceman Chris Tanev who played part of one season with the Manitoba Moose while they were the Canucks’ AHL affiliate.

Brandon Tanev

Left Wing

Born: Dec. 31, 1991 -- Toronto, ON

Height 6.00 -- Weight 180 -- Shoots L

http://jets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=889966

44 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Likely setting up the Chris Tanev for Trouba blockBuster!!!

I would consider that tbh if tanev would wanted to play with his brother. Although I doubt anyone really wants to go to winnipeg when you are in vancouver. Also 2way contact but 100% I would consider Trouba for Tanev as the base of a deal.

53 minutes ago, ItsMillerTime said:

Fun fact Troy Stecher went to Jets training camp 

like last year they actually invited him to training camp? or do you mean prospects camp?

cause jets had prospects camp at the same time as us this year

3 hours ago, milk and honey said:

I would consider that tbh if tanev would wanted to play with his brother. Although I doubt anyone really wants to go to winnipeg when you are in vancouver. Also 2way contact but 100% I would consider Trouba for Tanev as the base of a deal.

I'm from Winnipeg having left in 1989 to Vancouver.  I thought I died and went to heaven.  I remember telling all my buddies that it's great when you don't have to shovel snow and scrape your windshield every morning from November to April.  Been back at least 50 times in the past 27 years.  Each time I go back, I realize how lucky I am to be living on the west coast.

• b3. changed the title to [Signing] Jets re-sign F Brandon Tanev [1 year x $874,125k]
On July 21, 2016 at 5:42 PM, milk and honey said:

Although I doubt anyone really wants to go to winnipeg when you are in vancouver.

On July 21, 2016 at 8:55 PM, HK Phooey said:

I'm from Winnipeg having left in 1989 to Vancouver.  I thought I died and went to heaven.  I remember telling all my buddies that it's great when you don't have to shovel snow and scrape your windshield every morning from November to April.  Been back at least 50 times in the past 27 years.  Each time I go back, I realize how lucky I am to be living on the west coast.

Interesting, because my wife and I moved from Vancouver to Winnipeg back in 2005 and miss Vancouver about as much as getting a rectal examination.

The amount of money we save living here means we can actually afford to live our life comfortably. Bought our house new 11 years ago (half an acre) and will be paid off when we're 39 (34 now). Also travel frequently, going to the lake and out to Vancouver, Victoria, and Saltspring Island for at least 2-3 weeks a year (for me), while my wife goes out to BC for about a month a half each year.

Saving money goes a long way to a comfortable and relaxing life. I miss absolutely nothing about living in Vancouver.

3 hours ago, Monty said:

Interesting, because my wife and I moved from Vancouver to Winnipeg back in 2005 and miss Vancouver about as much getting a rectal examination.

The amount of money we save living here means we can actually afford to live our life comfortably. Bought our house new 11 years ago (half an acre) and will be paid off when we're 39 (34 now). Also travel frequently, going to the lake and out to Vancouver, Victoria, and Saltspring Island for at least 2-3 weeks a year (for me), while my wife goes out to BC for about a month a half each year.

Saving money goes a long way to a comfortable and relaxing life. I miss absolutely nothing about living in Vancouver.

I'm with you on this, it's just so dam cold in Winnipeg...

3 hours ago, Monty said:

Interesting, because my wife and I moved from Vancouver to Winnipeg back in 2005 and miss Vancouver about as much getting a rectal examination.

Good on you, Monty and congrats on freedom from your mortgage.  

My wife and I are fortunate enough to be able to do all the things you've listed from the comfort and beauty of the westcoast...though I have to admit, I miss Lake of the Woods (my parents used to have a cottage at Clearwater Bay), trolling for walleye (or as the locals call it, pickerel) on a slow moving boat and casting for northern pike and muskie off a dock, playing hockey at the Max Bell Centre and Century Arena, spending a few hours in the drunk tank at Falcon Lake, golfing at Southwood G&CC, and Folklorama.  

As much as I miss these things, I love Whistler...the interior...the island (my parents live in Victoria now, so I get to visit there frequently)...and fishing for salmon and halibut...golfing some of the best public golf courses in the world here on the lower mainland (only rivals in Canada are PEI, north of the GTA, BC interior and Vancouver Island), and lacing them up at Burnaby 8 rinks in the Adult Safe Hockey League.

I also have to admit, people are much more engaging in "Friendly Manitoba", though since we moved from Yaletown to White Rock a few years ago, I'd have to say, there's plenty of friendly folks in the 'burbs.

You gotta admit though, flight connections through YWG are nothing like that of YVR.  We have so many more direct options here than the 'peg, that both domestic and international travel is much easier...c'mon...Minneapolis, Denver and a few charter destinations makes YWG an international airport?  You gotta concede that one to us transplanted Vancouverites.

That's my long winded way of saying Winnipeg and Manitoba is good...but Vancouver and the west coast is spectacular.  I don't miss the mosquitoes.  Anyways, talking about all the good things about Manitoba (though, as you know, Lake of the Woods/Clearwater Bay is in Ontario) has made me miss Winnipeg.

BTW, what part of Winnipeg do you live?  I grew up along the Red River in Fort Richmond.

52 minutes ago, HK Phooey said:

My wife and I are fortunate enough to be able to do all the things you've listed from the comfort and beauty of the westcoast...though I have to admit, I miss Lake of the Woods (my parents used to have a cottage at Clearwater Bay), trolling for walleye (or as the locals call it, pickerel) on a slow moving boat and casting for northern pike and muskie off a dock, playing hockey at the Max Bell Centre and Century Arena, spending a few hours in the drunk tank at Falcon Lake, golfing at Southwood G&CC, and Folklorama.  

As much as I miss these things, I love Whistler...the interior...the island (my parents live in Victoria now, so I get to visit there frequently)...and fishing for salmon and halibut...golfing some of the best public golf courses in the world here on the lower mainland (only rivals in Canada are PEI, north of the GTA, BC interior and Vancouver Island), and lacing them up at Burnaby 8 rinks in the Adult Safe Hockey League.

I also have to admit, people are much more engaging in "Friendly Manitoba", though since we moved from Yaletown to White Rock a few years ago, I'd have to say, there's plenty of friendly folks in the 'burbs.

You gotta admit though, flight connections through YWG are nothing like that of YVR.  We have so many more direct options here than the 'peg, that both domestic and international travel is much easier...c'mon...Minneapolis, Denver and a few charter destinations makes YWG an international airport?  You gotta concede that one to us transplanted Vancouverites.

That's my long winded way of saying Winnipeg and Manitoba is good...but Vancouver and the west coast is spectacular.  I don't miss the mosquitoes.  Anyways, talking about all the good things about Manitoba (though, as you know, Lake of the Woods/Clearwater Bay is in Ontario) has made me miss Winnipeg.

BTW, what part of Winnipeg do you live?  I grew up along the Red River in Fort Richmond.

Having Lake of the Woods nearby is terrific. And all the other little things outside of Winnipeg is so great.

I actually live about 30 minutes East of Winnipeg. 

As for flight connections. Flying is a nightmare anywhere for me. Not scared, I just hate flying; but I've also flown a lot.

On July 22, 2016 at 0:27 PM, HK Phooey said:

For the friendly thing, I find Vancouver/ lower mainland and Victoria to be horrible for that. Everywhere else in BC is usually pretty good as long as you don't talk down to us:P

On 7/22/2016 at 1:23 PM, Monty said:

Having Lake of the Woods nearby is terrific. And all the other little things outside of Winnipeg is so great.

I actually live about 30 minutes East of Winnipeg. 

As for flight connections. Flying is a nightmare anywhere for me. Not scared, I just hate flying; but I've also flown a lot.

Steinbach?  Say hello to the Penners for me (that would be every second person in the area).  I hope you and your wife get a chance to spend time in the Whiteshell...lucky you...you're only a bit over an hour to Falcon Lake.  My friends and I used to "officially" open summer up with a drunk fest at Falcon Lake every May long weekend...hence the comment about spending a few hours detoxing in the area drunk tank.

Archived