The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

20 years ago today: How the Canucks missed out on signing Wayne Gretzky

TheRussianRocket.

2 hours ago, Trebreh said:

meh... its not like he won another cup outside of Edmonton. Regardless if we screwed our chances up by demanding him to sign right away it doesn't matter, knowing our luck, he would've signed with the Rangers anyways lol. I mean, think about it, there was no way he was gonna sign with the divisional rival of his former team (which he won 4 cups with)... -_-

He didn't seem to have much trouble playing in the division for LA.

45 minutes ago, Jam126 said:

He didn't win it with the Rangers. What makes you think he would've won it with the Nucks?

Hi Jam, nice to see you again. Miss me? I've been busy with Pokemon Go. Gotta catch that Dragonite yenno know ;) 

He would have made hockey exciting for the canucks. Bure + Gretzky 

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I grew up in Winnipeg and Gretzky almost started his NHL career with the Jets. EDM got very lucky, basically getting him over a backgammon game.  

So you're saying Gretzky-Selanne could've been a thing?

2 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Gretzky to Bure and then over to Mogilny probably would of made that ring extra shinier. Talk about tantalizing indeed!

Gretzky might have competed for another Art Ross trophy or two and stuck around a couple extra years if he'd been the center of that line.

Bure might have had a shot at an 80-goal season with even an aging Gretz feeding him the puck at center ice.

6 hours ago, GettinGuddyWithIt said:

Honestly it would have been nice and we had a chance to win it all...but he was 35 years old and only had 3 years in him and I don't think we were that close to signing him.

Also if we were to sign him, we wouldn't have had the Sedins (who we've had for 17 years) and Gretzky would be retiring. Imagine that:sadno:

We technically still would've gotten the Sedins since we'd have Gretzky until the 1998 season and they weren't drafted until the year after. We could've rewritten the history books if he went out on top with us. 

***TITLE CHANGE, if you pls***

How Mr Grungy missed out on collecting a paycheque in the world's most livable city(& so they sent his bald buddy for a cash grab)

Don't give a damn about this stealthy little putz..HALF the player Orr was. His whole team stayed intact/healthy, in a division that likely had the worst rival 'tending/D(for a decade) in the league's history. Unfortunately we contributed greatly to that dire fact :^(

Sneaky little opportunist, on a loaded roster. By mid 90's, them 2 were jumping wherever cash was flowing.

Won't even READ this revisionist history. WG is probably dredging it up, because Quinn's legend & legacy makes him feel unworthy & insignificant.

Next story pls...

3 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

***TITLE CHANGE, if you pls***

How Mr Grungy missed out on collecting a paycheque in the world's most livable city(& so they sent his bald buddy for a cash grab)

Don't give a damn about this stealthy little putz..HALF the player Orr was. His whole team stayed intact/healthy, in a division that likely had the worst rival 'tending/D(for a decade) in the league's history. Unfortunately we contributed greatly to that dire fact :^(

Sneaky little opportunist, on a loaded roster. By mid 90's, them 2 were jumping wherever cash was flowing.

Won't even READ this revisionist history. WG is probably dredging it up, because Quinn's legend & legacy makes him feel unworthy & insignificant.

Next story pls...

Damn, why all the Gretzky hate?

I'll agree that Orr was fantastic, but you seem to have a real bone to pick with 99.

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Gretzky might have competed for another Art Ross trophy or two and stuck around a couple extra years if he'd been the center of that line.

Bure might have had a shot at an 80-goal season with even an aging Gretz feeding him the puck at center ice.

Would of added more time to the "best of Pavel Bure" video. Man that would of been a treat to see numbers 10 and 99  in the same video, while on the same team. 

20 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Damn, why all the Gretzky hate?

I'll agree that Orr was fantastic, but you seem to have a real bone to pick with 99.

Heh, maybe the invasive media set me off with their revisionist(any form will suffice) trolling.

Then the diehards start navel-gazing over phone calls(& hazy recollections) from decades past. Tired of the retrospective, what-if BS. IMHO, it does nothing for us.

For any/all who've lived in BC(especially from the 60's~90's) they should feel blessed. Just travel about, looking at the beauty of every region. Whenever the 'Nucks were rolling, it was just bonus. Rest of the world was likely jealous! :^)

We should shelve all this shyte, & apologize to no one. 2011 was the ultimate kicker for me. The butcher-job the complicit media-lackeys pulled..I'll never forgive. Wouldn't even want to win that way, as them eastern nameless b*stards did. With their Campbell-connection, & reffs in league-pocket. I'd sooner we try again, with the classy character our boys have usually exhibited.

Today, Gretzky just represents another face(in a line of pigs at their $$$ trough) that'll promote a corrupt, Amerocentric league, if the price is right. ..forget it

Archived