The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

{Article} Can Canucks become playoff team? Jason Botchford

AlwaysACanuckFan

daniel sedin (22) Henrik (12) Ericsson (30)

Beartschi (17) Sutter (16) Hansen (17)

Etem (13) Horvat ( 18) Rodin (12)

Gaunce (5) Granlund (8) Dorsette (4)

Virtanen (6)

Burrows (9)

edler (9) Tanev (6)

Hutton (8) Gud (4)

Tryamkin (5) Larsen (7)

= 228 goals, this is a little optiistic but possible - still below playoff team average

3 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

daniel sedin (22) Henrik (12) Ericsson (30)

Beartschi (17) Sutter (16) Hansen (17)

Etem (13) Horvat ( 18) Rodin (12)

Gaunce (5) Granlund (8) Dorsette (4)

Virtanen (6)

Burrows (9)

edler (9) Tanev (6)

Hutton (8) Gud (4)

Tryamkin (5) Larsen (7)

= 228 goals, this is a little optiistic but possible - still below playoff team average

Wow, looks like we will have another top pick  ( first 5  )  next season.....  Hopefully we draft a future 1 C next year.....

If we trade Sbisa+Grenier/Etem+2nd for Kane we can easily become contender next year

Sedin Sedin Eriksson

Kane Sutter Hansen

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen/Rodin

Burrows Gaunce Granlund

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Tryamkin Larsen

Pedan Stetcher

Miller 

Markstrom

We only have one legit scoring line, our defense needs a number 1 D but that's probably 2-3 years away(Juolevi), and Markstrom hasn't proven that he's even a 1A goalie yet. Why would we want to make the playoffs when we can't compete against the likes of Chicago, Dallas, and SJS. It's far better to stock up and develop high draft picks and hope we develop into Cup Contenders in about 3-5years time as opposed to getting mid round picks that are crapshoots.

We needed to bolster our d-corps and I'm happy with the Gudbranson trade plus drafting a potential top-pairing dman, but sadly we haven't addressed the secondary scoring department(Eriksson was a good start, but it's not enough). At this point, we're rolling the dice on rookies stepping in and surprising us.

40 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

If we trade Sbisa+Grenier/Etem+2nd for Kane we can easily become contender next year

Sedin Sedin Eriksson

Kane Sutter Hansen

Burrows Gaunce Granlund

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Tryamkin Larsen

Pedan Stetcher

Miller 

Markstrom

Oh dear gawd plz no Evander Kane plz, unless you're talking about PATRICK Kane then yes. The drama that Evander brings to the locker room combined with the Vancouver media is the recipe for a sh!tstorm.

This is a taste of what Evander has to deal with EVERYDAY if we trade for him:

Van Media: So Evander, you're scheduled to be in court regarding some harassment charges, would you care to shed some light to some details.

Evander Kane: I have no comment on this matter, my focus is on the next game.

Van Media: Is it true that you sexually assaulted a girl at a club in Buffalo?

Evander Kane: I said no comment...

Van Media: What do you think your odds are for getting out of this situation with no charges?

Evander Kane: No comment...

2 hours ago, Tony Da Tigre said:

Oh dear gawd plz no Evander Kane plz, unless you're talking about PATRICK Kane then yes. The drama that Evander brings to the locker room combined with the Vancouver media is the recipe for a sh!tstorm.

This is a taste of what Evander has to deal with EVERYDAY if we trade for him:

Van Media: So Evander, you're scheduled to be in court regarding some harassment charges, would you care to shed some light to some details.

Evander Kane: I have no comment on this matter, my focus is on the next game.

Van Media: Is it true that you sexually assaulted a girl at a club in Buffalo?

Evander Kane: I said no comment...

Van Media: What do you think your odds are for getting out of this situation with no charges?

Evander Kane: No comment...

Then he goes out and gets a hat trick... and the fans love him.

38 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

Then he goes out and gets a hat trick... and the fans love him.

I'm sure Evander Kane is highly motivated to score 50 goals after being grilled and scrutinized by the Vancouver media EVERYDAY... excuse my sarcasm. He's more likely to demand a trade and creating even more drama.

This is Vancouver where the media scrutinizes anything and everything. The only other market that's worse is Toronto, where the season hasn't even started and Lou Lamoriello's already being harped on about not sticking to his principles regarding Auston Matthews' contract bonuses, and how it took so long, and how Matthews would get p!ssed and play in Europe.

On 7/21/2016 at 11:26 PM, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Here is an article by Botchford..

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/can-canucks-become-playoff-team-they-have-a-lot-of-ground-to-make-up#comments

"Barring a game-changing trade, the Canucks’ 2016-17 roster looks pretty set.

Questions, of course, abound. Will Anton Rodin’s skills translate in the NHL? Is Erik Gudbranson an improvement on Dan Hamhuis? Is Bo Horvat really best-suited in a defensive role after leading the team in scoring in last season’s second half? Is there enough playing time on defence for three players most slotted for a third pairing, Luca Sbisa, Nikita Tryamkin and Philip Larsen? And where exactly is Alex Burrows going to fit in?

But there is one question that trumps all. At least for the Canucks’ front office, and the sub-section of fans who can’t stomach a rebuilding team. Is this Canucks roster good enough to make the playoffs?

Management sure hopes so. Moves like trading futures for Gudbranson and signing Loui Eriksson, the best 31-year-old winger available, to a six-year deal, are transactions you make in an attempt to get back to the post-season sooner rather than later. But when last season ended, Vancouver had a long way to go.

Consider the average playoff team finished last season with 231.88 goals for. The Canucks, meanwhile, managed to score just 191. That difference of half-a-goal per game just to be among the average playoff teams is massive.

The lowest-scoring teams in the playoffs were Detroit, which put up 211, in the Eastern Conference, and Minnesota, which dumped 216 into the net, in the Western. That’s a not-insignificant, 10-per-cent bump on the Canucks’ scoring rate.

If only scoring was the issue. The Canucks had an equally difficult time, relatively speaking, preventing goals. Vancouver allowed 243 goals on the season, 2.96 per game, while playoff teams averaged just 208.3 surrendered on the season.

If the Canucks are going to get back into the top eight, their defence will need to markedly improve. The worst defensive playoff team, the Dallas Stars, if you’re judging by goals allowed, gave up 230. But the Stars scored the most goals in hockey.

Obviously, a healthy Brandon Sutter would move the needle here. It would make the Canucks deeper, and better defensively. And Eriksson can do the same while possibly piling up 25-30 goals. But you can’t just simply add that to last year’s totals.

Playing with the Sedins for most of the season, Jannik Hansen finished fourth in the NHL in goals-per-hour scored at even strength. Even matching that will be no can of corn for Eriksson, which is why there’s an intriguing theory making the rounds that the Canucks would be better off keeping Hansen with the twins, allowing Eriksson to improve the goal production on Sutter’s line.

The Canucks did perform adequately in one key area. Their even-strength save percentage, while not quite average among the playoff teams, was 92.57 per cent, which was better than four of the teams that earned a spot in the post-season. An average playoff team finished with a 92.8-per-cent, even-strength save percentage.

Maybe most telling, however, is how the Canucks performed in even-strength shot-attempt differential (or Corsi). There were only three teams who finished with a worse percentage than the Canucks’ 47.2. Figuratively, that’s not even close to keeping your head above water. The top nine teams in shot-attempt differential all made the playoffs, and the average among the 16 playoff teams was 51.2. The Rangers, who made the playoffs in the East, and may not do it again, finished slightly ahead of the Canucks with an even-strength, shot-attempt differential of 47.4 per cent.

So while the Canucks were miles off league average, they weren’t that far from a couple of the worst teams to make the playoffs.
Of course, for a team to make the playoffs with a sub-50-per-cent, shot-attempt differential, a lot of other things have to go right. And, really, that’s the only way the Canucks are going to be playing in late April."

I think if the Canucks were to have a healthier season along with the additions of Gudbranson and Eriksson along with Tryamkin (who should make an excellent improvement over Bartkowski), along with more secondary scoring they will make the playoffs. 

Botchford? Your kidding right?  Good grief, he never even brought up that some of the reason we never had more goals scored was because we seldom had a regular consistant team on the ice due to injuries, it seemed someone was always getting hurt... 

Botchford seldom comes up with anything good that hasn't already been said

On 2016-07-27 at 11:16 PM, iceman64 said:

Botchford? Your kidding right?  Good grief, he never even brought up that some of the reason we never had more goals scored was because we seldom had a regular consistant team on the ice due to injuries, it seemed someone was always getting hurt... 

Botchford seldom comes up with anything good that hasn't already been said

Yeah, right! That's why you quote whole bunch of his words. You obviously didn't want us to read them ...

On 7/27/2016 at 8:34 PM, Hortankin said:

Sedin Sedin Eriksson

Kane Sutter Hansen

Burrows Gaunce Granlund

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Tryamkin Larsen

Pedan Stetcher

Miller 

Markstrom

That's not a contending team, one or two injuries to the D or top 6 and the Canuck's are back in the race for the lottery. We have no depth in the system to deal with that over a period of time.

People are not wrong when they suggest that we are a long shot to make the playoffs. I like what Linden said. " You will never here me say that we don't have the playoffs as our goal".

He dose say that they hope to make the playoffs but I have never heard him emphatically say that they are a playoff club. If you don't set goals then you will never reach them. The fact that he says that deals need to be about now and the future says that they know where their at.

On 2016-07-21 at 10:51 PM, canuktravella said:

dcorp is a major upgrade

out - bartoski, pee wee weber and glass house hamhuis 

in - russian  twin towers pedan and tryamkin,  mean shutdown guy guddy, healthy edler, yr older hutton.  larsen, olson, subban, stecher, juolevi pushing up from minors.

forwards - out vrbata, higgins, 

in - eriksson, gaunce. faster more offense

if benning has  any changes planned it would require a major trade

(tanev, sbisa, dorsett, hansen) could all be used by teams trying to get further in to cup contention.             as much as i like new dcorp we still could upgrade our ppqb if larsen  doesnt light it up with opportunity. As for wingers we should try and pry away a sniper.

burrows and miller will be traded by deadline their time is done here. burrows maybe even sooner etem, gaunce and grenier all could provide same play at fifth the cost 

i guess you didn't listen to the last Linden interview on 1040. The only way they trade Burrows is if at the trade deadline a true cup contender wants him.

On July 27, 2016 at 11:14 PM, Tony Da Tigre said:

We only have one legit scoring line, our defense needs a number 1 D but that's probably 2-3 years away(Juolevi), and Markstrom hasn't proven that he's even a 1A goalie yet. Why would we want to make the playoffs when we can't compete against the likes of Chicago, Dallas, and SJS. It's far better to stock up and develop high draft picks and hope we develop into Cup Contenders in about 3-5years time as opposed to getting mid round picks that are crapshoots.

We needed to bolster our d-corps and I'm happy with the Gudbranson trade plus drafting a potential top-pairing dman, but sadly we haven't addressed the secondary scoring department(Eriksson was a good start, but it's not enough). At this point, we're rolling the dice on rookies stepping in and surprising us.

We essentially added two top six players, Eriksson and Sutter. I would love to see Sutter with the twins, and Baer, Horvat and Eriksson. Let Gaunce and Granlund fight it out for 3/4 center roles. That would give us 2 scoring lines. 

16 hours ago, appleboy said:

People are not wrong when they suggest that we are a long shot to make the playoffs. I like what Linden said. " You will never here me say that we don't have the playoffs as our goal".

He dose say that they hope to make the playoffs but I have never heard him emphatically say that they are a playoff club. If you don't set goals then you will never reach them. The fact that he says that deals need to be about now and the future says that they know where their at.

Agree.....though it's interesting to think of all the injuries and OT losses last year and how much that impacted the final ranking.  It's not a stretch to say a healthy, year-older Canucks team will push for the playoffs.  It's a stretch to say that they'll do some damage in the playoffs though.  Truthfully, the Canucks need another year or two of collecting good young assets for the future if they want to become contenders again.

4 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Agree.....though it's interesting to think of all the injuries and OT losses last year and how much that impacted the final ranking.  It's not a stretch to say a healthy, year-older Canucks team will push for the playoffs.  It's a stretch to say that they'll do some damage in the playoffs though.  Truthfully, the Canucks need another year or two of collecting good young assets for the future if they want to become contenders again.

The problem the Canucks have is  as our kids get a year older / better....

Our top line gets a year older  / worse.....

That is our dilemma......

Archived