The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Leafs F Peter Holland

Xur

On 22/07/2016 at 0:23 PM, gizmo2337 said:

Arbitration hearing is on Monday. If nobody claims him, it's leverage for a lower salary.

He is after a one way deal. Leafs put him on Waivers to justify a two way.

Lots of leaf fans chatting that they liked him but he started to disappear for lengths last season. Some want to keep him.

5 minutes ago, Xur said:

He is after a one way deal. Leafs put him on Waivers to justify a two way.

Lots of leaf fans chatting that they liked him but he started to disappear for lengths last season. Some want to keep him.

According to CapFriendly he was on a one way deal - so he must have been qualified also on a one-way.  

It's probably about the salary unless the Maple Leafs are trying to convert it into a two-way deal.

He'd be a great 4th line centre for us!! Granlund is a better fit on LW.... Holland also got size and can chip in points... why not? After all, they took Corrado off our roster.... time to make them pay lol... 

Gaunce is still unproven in NHL if anyone needs a reminder....

59 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

He'd be a great 4th line centre for us!! Granlund is a better fit on LW.... Holland also got size and can chip in points... why not? After all, they took Corrado off our roster.... time to make them pay lol... 

Gaunce is already better than Granlund IMO. He plays a heavy game and has better speed than people think. He is going to be a lock in our bottom 6 this year. 

I like Holland.  Good size and a left hand shot.  25 points last 2 years playing 3rd line minutes.  Former 1st round pick so he's a reclamation project and we all know how much Benning loves those.

Holland for Corrado is a trade most would have been happy with last season too so we could finally hear the end of the losing Corrado for nothing complaints.

It makes sense to grab him if Benning doesn't have anything in the works on the trade front.

2 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

?  Treliving says Granlund wasn't comfortable playing on the wing in the minors.  It's doubtful it would work better in the NHL. 

I rarely can be bothered to even lift an eyebrow to players on waivers but I could get behind picking up Holland. Seems like a perfect Vey replacement - swiss army knife, all situations, all forward positions depth #13. I watched a lot of T.O. games last year and he looked like more of an NHL calibre player than Vey, though I didn't see enough to comment on the consistency issues. Also not sure about the arbitration factor though. 

4 hours ago, mll said:

According to CapFriendly he was on a one way deal - so he must have been qualified also on a one-way.  

It's probably about the salary unless the Maple Leafs are trying to convert it into a two-way deal.

Strangely enough, whether the QO can be 2-way doesn't depend on whether the last contract was 1-way or 2-way, but number of games played and whether the player cleared waivers.  Article 10.2(a)(iii) of the Collective Bargaining Agreement reads:

(iii) A Club's Qualifying Offer must be a One-Way Qualifying Offer if the
applicable Player has: (A) actually played (excluding games missed for
injury, illness or disability) 180 or more NHL Games in the previous three
(3) NHL Seasons, (B) played at least sixty (60) NHL Games in the
previous NHL Season, and (C) not cleared Waivers in the period between the twelfth
day prior to the commencement of the previous Regular Season
and the end of a Club's previous Playing Season. For purposes hereof
only, a goaltender is deemed to have played an NHL Game when he was
dressed and on the bench as a backup. In all other cases, a Qualifying
Offer may be a Two-Way Qualifying Offer.

Holland played fewer than 180 NHL games over the past 3 seasons, so isn't entitled to a one-way qualifying offer.

I expect his waivers have to be the same situation as Schroeder, to be able to argue before the arbitrator that having passed through waivers he isn't worth a 1-way contract, and pretty clearly they're prepared to lose him rather than give him one.

24 minutes ago, tyhee said:

Strangely enough, whether the QO can be 2-way doesn't depend on whether the last contract was 1-way or 2-way, but number of games played and whether the player cleared waivers.  Article 10.2(a)(iii) of the Collective Bargaining Agreement reads:

(iii) A Club's Qualifying Offer must be a One-Way Qualifying Offer if the
applicable Player has: (A) actually played (excluding games missed for
injury, illness or disability) 180 or more NHL Games in the previous three
(3) NHL Seasons, (B) played at least sixty (60) NHL Games in the
previous NHL Season, and (C) not cleared Waivers in the period between the twelfth
day prior to the commencement of the previous Regular Season
and the end of a Club's previous Playing Season. For purposes hereof
only, a goaltender is deemed to have played an NHL Game when he was
dressed and on the bench as a backup. In all other cases, a Qualifying
Offer may be a Two-Way Qualifying Offer.

Holland played fewer than 180 NHL games over the past 3 seasons, so isn't entitled to a one-way qualifying offer.

I expect his waivers have to be the same situation as Schroeder, to be able to argue before the arbitrator that having passed through waivers he isn't worth a 1-way contract, and pretty clearly they're prepared to lose him rather than give him one.

Thanks - I didn't know about this rule.  I was trying to figure out how they define the AHL salary for when they go from a one-way to a two-way - and the paragraph just above has this:

1. (D)  if a Player is eligible to receive a Two-Way Qualifying Offer, the Paragraph 1 Minor League Salary component shall not be less than the higher of the Player's prior year's Paragraph 1 Minor League Salary, if any, or the minimum Minor League salary. 

He was on one-way at 775K last season, so on a two-way - his NHL salary would be 105% of his 775K in the NHL but his AHL salary would at least need to be 775K, no?

Schroeder was on a two-way at 600K / 125K. 

23 minutes ago, mll said:

Thanks - I didn't know about this rule.  I was trying to figure out how they define the AHL salary for when they go from a one-way to a two-way - and the paragraph just above has this:

1. (D)  if a Player is eligible to receive a Two-Way Qualifying Offer, the Paragraph 1 Minor League Salary component shall not be less than the higher of the Player's prior year's Paragraph 1 Minor League Salary, if any, or the minimum Minor League salary. 

He was on one-way at 775K last season, so on a two-way - his NHL salary would be 105% of his 775K in the NHL but his AHL salary would at least need to be 775K, no? ...

I read it differently, focussing on the words "if any."

He is entitled, on the bottom end of a 2-way offer, to either:

-"the Player's prior year's Paragraph 1 Minor League Salary, if any" (here there wasn't one so my reading is this part doesn't apply to Holland) or

-the minimum Minor League Salary

Accordingly it seems to me the Qualifying Offer can be 2 way and the minor league portion could have been the AHL minimum.  In practice, Holland would get awarded considerably more than that by an arbitrator. 

Archived