The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I don't think they got it

Phat Fingers

Hello,

New guy, first topic. Wonder if Elvis will take me to task?  

So I did use the search bar, but might have missed similar topics. But I have to wonder if folks just don't see what JB is doing. 

Media types, pessimistic fans and the entire Oilers, Flames and Leafs fan base cannot comprehend that you do not have to tank to improve. 

We only have to look at how our drafting and development have changed from the last year of MG's tenure till now.  MG deserves credit for Horvat, Hutton, Tanev and Utica. 

We suddenly have players within our system having an impact on the team. Take JB's first draft. Virtannen, McCann, Demko and Trymakin are all going to have NHL careers. How good can be debated, but they will reach more than a 100 games each. 

Then ad his top pick in the 2015 draft.  Brock is as blue chip as they come, and we snagged him at 23.  WTF!  Boeser is a guy I wouldn't pass over to take Tkachuk in this draft. That's excellent. Zhuke and Brisebois look to have potential, but they will take at least 3 years. 

Now this draft with Juolevi, maybe some others pan out, but including Boeser, Trymakin, Demko, McCann and Virtannen, that's a starting line up in 3 years. 6 bonified NHL players coming up through our system, with 2-3 more potential wild cards. 

What should make us excited is that only two of those picks were top ten.  That is key for JB's plan. 

Four guys found after after all the marquee players are taken.  That is why JB was hired and why we don't need to tank.  That is why we went out and signed Eriksson.  We can find good players in the second half of the first round and beyond. This allows us to focus on being successful on the ice, because who cares where we draft.  Boeser could be Bennings best pick, and we had a 100 pt season in his draft year.  

It appears fairly clear to me what, why and how JB is going about remaking this club. Drafting well every year is the key. Not something Canuck Fans are used too.  

my two cents. EW. 

image.jpeg

Well said, good detail for your first post!

I agree that Benning's scouting ability is what this franchise has never really had. Previously the draft was a write off, just some horrible reaches with even high draft picks. With the lottery system the way it is now, there is no point in tanking, and say if you get lucky, you would have to be sure there are some surefire prospects in that class. I would trust JB with even mid first round picks to get us a good NHL player, and in some years some blue-chippers like Brock. 

Perhaps the biggest surprises are yet to come in his late round picks, as you mentioned. These guys take at least 4 years to hit the bigs, so why not just keep trying to win and develop these guys patiently. Detroit is known for this, and often pays off for them. 

Getting players that have played, and can play in the NHL, for picks, is a good strategy for remaining competitive in a rebuild.

Jim's drafting has been good, especially Boeser at 23 last year.  His deep picks?  Who knows.  But you do not build a team around deep picks.

I especially approve of who GMJB has gotten rid of.

His legacy is going to be the dismantling of Mike Gillis' New Age Country Club(tm).

30 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

It appears fairly clear to me what, why and how JB is going about remaking this club. Drafting well every year is the key. Not something Canuck Fans are used too.  

It's not been a secret,  JB has said from day 1 he wants to build through the draft and that's how teams can stay competitive in today's NHL.

I don't see the revelation with this theory,  it's been well documented. 

Hopefully in 3-5 years there's 14-16 guys, if not more,  on the roster who were acquired via the draft. 

I'm a fan of JB. I think the Canucks are in a good spot and last year was a very off year with all of the injuries. Hopefully they stay healthy this year. In two years JB drafted Virtanen, McCann, Demko, Tryamkin and Boeser (sniped him at #23). He also picked up Larsen, Rodin, Stecher and Garteig. Traded an entitled McCann for a giant RHD who's only 24. Then drafted Juolevi who will one day be a #1LD, a champion in the OHL and the world stage. And just recently signed a veteran, Swedish, 30 goal scorer who's got experience playing with the Sedins. Brilliant.

He hasn't been perfect, not sure if there is a GM out there who is. Not sold on losing Shinkaruk for Granlund, but it'll take time to really be able to assess that trade. As far as Kassian, his hands were tied, Kass had a problem that wasn't being treated successfully, so JB got what he could. I'm sure MTL fans aren't thrilled they traded away a fan favorite (Prust) for a drunk. Kesler was an issue at the beginning of his GM reign, so he traded him for what turned out to be Sutter, Sbisa, Gudbranson and Dorsett. Not too shabby, considering he had one team to trade him too.

I give JB an A so far.   

Totally agree. All these articles slandering Benning as incompetent and having no direction completely baffle me. 

He stated his plans when he got here and has stuck to them remarkably. Stay competitive while creating a new core. His first 2 drafts with the organization look to be some of the best we've ever had, and I'm sure we'll have some gems besides Juolevi in the most recent draft as well.

He's chasing the Detroit model of patience, instead of sh*tting the bed and crossing his fingers like Edmonton and Toronto.

JB has been a great GM! He is highly underrated around the league by fans mostly because THEY don't know what he's doing. His drafting has been very very good so far. Another reason we don't need to tank is because JB is very good at drafting and getting players in the deep rounds like the 6th or 7th rounds. Now, those late round picks haven't proven anything in the big leagues, but they have shown very promising stats. Another thing I like about JB is he's not afraid to do what he has to do, no matter the backlash from the media or fans, he just rolls along with it.

The reason why Oilers, Flames and Leafs fans only think that "The Tank" works is that you get a top-end prospect. Has their system worked?

Oilers are still trash after a decade

Flames is TBD

Leafs are currently gonna suck and are probably gonna be the next Oilers if they don't surround them with quality (Keyword:QUALITY) mentors for their young prospects, plus their D is not great.

14 minutes ago, richado said:

Totally agree. All these articles slandering Benning as incompetent and having no direction completely baffle me. 

He stated his plans when he got here and has stuck to them remarkably. Stay competitive while creating a new core. His first 2 drafts with the organization look to be some of the best we've ever had, and I'm sure we'll have some gems besides Juolevi in the most recent draft as well.

He's chasing the Detroit model of patience, instead of sh*tting the bed and crossing his fingers like Edmonton and Toronto.

Why do people cite Detroit as anything worthy of celebration... I'll never understand. Such a horrible example.

3 minutes ago, Jam126 said:

Oilers are still trash after a decade

Flames is TBD

Leafs are currently gonna suck and are probably gonna be the next Oilers if they don't surround them with quality (Keyword:QUALITY) mentors for their young prospects, plus their D is not great.

Agreed,  Oilers will still struggle. No goalie or depth on D even considering their off season acquisitions.

Flames - just not impressed with their overall roster. Don't really care if they suck or not honestly. 

TO - they have one of the best GMs to ever run a team.  Lou knows how to build a winner.  They'll be fine,  unfortunately. 

Van,  well it remains to be seen as JB is still sorting out some of the roster/contract mess he inherited,  but I myself like the clubs directon.   Fully believe we'll be competitive on a nightly basis and if that's all we can expect this season then I'm fine with that. 

I like what is happening.  Drafting well and adding fill in pieces to make us competitive.  Simple formula that eastern and some western media don't seem to understand.  Guess they don't want to look very deep. 

15 minutes ago, Aircool said:

Why do people cite Detroit as anything worthy of celebration... I'll never understand. Such a horrible example.

Because Detroit always makes the playoffs, and I think many Canuck fans would be satisfied if Vancouver could do the same regardless if they're an easy knockout every time.

28 minutes ago, Aircool said:

well from 94-'09, they made the finals 6 times, won the cup 4 of those times, and haven't missed the playoffs in my lifetime ('91). so I guess that is why I personally would cite them as a model lol..

and also this is pretty much EXACTLY what benning (well mostly ownership actually) is trying to do and what the OP just described..

17 minutes ago, Aircool said:

Because they can keep their team afloat and competitive while drafting low? And striking gold in later rounds and patient developing? Sure, they haven't been elite lately but their ability to stay in the playoffs while remaking their team is impressive. They are able to forgo the costly lows and dips common to any franchise through good management.

How exactly is that a terrible example?

29 minutes ago, Aircool said:

4 cups, 6 finals and 25 Playoff years in a row. Do you understand now airhead?

100 % bang on! good to hear more positive thoughts love it. I' ll take a steadily improved team over a tanking team any day. And we are definetly improving steadily. So.. As my mexican co-worker says Happy Happy! Keep the good picks coming and lets watch this team(s)×××<---- grow into something worth watching!!! 

How can you explain the success of recent cup winners?
Penguins: Malkin (2), Fleury (1), Crosby (1)- They stunk for a while.

Blackhawks- Toews (3), Kane (1)-They were garbage for a very long time as well.
LA Doughty (2)-Stunk for a very long time. Very long time.

Not a cup winner but look at Tampa right now. Stamkos (1), Hedman (2).

All built through "tanking" and taking elite players at the top end of the draft.

Edmonton is a terrible counter point because they are an anomaly in terms of how to rebuild.

6 minutes ago, GoBoGo53 said:

How can you explain the success of recent cup winners?
Penguins: Malkin (2), Fleury (1), Crosby (1)- They stunk for a while.

Blackhawks- Toews (3), Kane (1)-They were garbage for a very long time as well.
LA Doughty (2)-Stunk for a very long time. Very long time.

Not a cup winner but look at Tampa right now. Stamkos (1), Hedman (2).

All built through "tanking" and taking elite players at the top end of the draft.

Edmonton is a terrible counter point because they are an anomaly in terms of how to rebuild.

So are the Blue Jackets, Coyotes, Panthers and Avalanche?

Archived