The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal : Kevin Hayes

Kevin Hayes recently signed a 2.6mill contract after scoring 81pts in 158 career games (over two years).  Last year he slipped a little to 36 pts....playing only 13.39 minutes per game.  His points per hour would be tops on our team last year.  He's young 24, and big 6'5"/227lbs.  Doesn't take too many bad penalties and hasn't had many looks on the power play (ie doesn't often play) so his points are mostly 5 on 5.  He can kill guys when he hits too and obviously make some room upfront, good passing skills and a hard decent shot.

I am sure NYR are high on this guy, and they hope he gets better.  To me this guy fits as a second tier with upside of what Benning is looking for as far as adding some size to our forward line with upside to score us some more goals.   Like Bear, with more ice time the points should come.  And he is a Right Wing so we can move him up or down the 2/3 line anyway we like.    Not the best thing for the team as far as making blockbuster trade goes, but maybe realistically what we can accomplish in a hockey trade.   

Suggest Hansen (our team needs cap relief too and his contract is cap friendly...but this is what NYR would love..(.so they can continue to over pay their top players) and Virtanen is what we would have to give up to get him.    Not sure I like this trade but Hayes had 45 points his rookie year and was +14, and plays a 200 foot game.  Seems to be the kind of player Benning covets.  Thoughts?   Spent a lot of time looking at the Wingers and trying to find a guy that we have the pieces that would attract a realistic trade to fit into Bennings plans (or at least the plans that he has let us know of), and this guy stood.   

Tampa is one of the teams that would be a good trading partner, but not until later in the season.  They are close to cap (with three RFA's to sign + 4 next year) and have way too many players to protect at the coming expansion draft.

Almost all of their vets have NMC/NTCs in the 5M range and they all go beyond the '18/'19 season, so it will be very hard to move them. 

TB will be desperate to move salaries and collect prospect/picks instead of salaried players.  I think a team would have to take back some salary and offer a pick/prospect to get on of there good, young players.  Canucks aren't in a great position right now, but may be much later in the season.

I can see +++ activity after the break and up until the trade deadline, as TB is all in for the SC, but will also have to think about protecting players in June '17. 

It's kind of fun to see these teams that were always way below the cap having to struggle with it now.  The following year is going to be even worse for them unless they can unload a couple of those large NMC/NTCs.

21 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Tampa is one of the teams that would be a good trading partner, but not until later in the season.  They are close to cap (with three RFA's to sign + 4 next year) and have way too many players to protect at the coming expansion draft.

Almost all of their vets have NMC/NTCs in the 5M range and they all go beyond the '18/'19 season, so it will be very hard to move them. 

TB will be desperate to move salaries and collect prospect/picks instead of salaried players.  I think a team would have to take back some salary and offer a pick/prospect to get on of there good, young players.  Canucks aren't in a great position right now, but may be much later in the season.

I can see +++ activity after the break and up until the trade deadline, as TB is all in for the SC, but will also have to think about protecting players in June '17. 

It's kind of fun to see these teams that were always way below the cap having to struggle with it now.  The following year is going to be even worse for them unless they can unload a couple of those large NMC/NTCs.

Yzerman has his work cut out for him that is for sure.  Some of his very good secondary players will have to be moved, much like CHI keeps managing their cap issues (and Stan Bowman deserves accolades up the ying yang for managing to keep doing it).  I wonder if Droiun has mending fences with them, or if they see him as a guy that is going to continue giving them headaches, both when it comes to signing new contracts and performing his was into $$ they simply can't afford.  Bishop commands huge money and I am sure they want to keep him in their core, as per Hedman.  I can see at least two, maybe three players been traded for more cap friendly contracts (ahem Hansen?), picks and more prospects to keep them balanced with palatable entry level contracts.  I wonder when the NHLPA is going to start rumbling about the 10% taking 90% of the pot - the entry level contracts are becoming the most important factor in balancing a teams cap.  Toews and Kane eat up almost 1/3 of their teams cap, and 18+ other players earn the rest (bye bye Sharp)...Stamkos-Bishop-Hedman will likely do the same, and then there's Kucherov, Palat and Johnson to consider...this teams definitely losing some very good talent this year for lesser players to free up their cap issues.

14 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yzerman has his work cut out for him that is for sure.  Some of his very good secondary players will have to be moved, much like CHI keeps managing their cap issues (and Stan Bowman deserves accolades up the ying yang for managing to keep doing it).  I wonder if Droiun has mending fences with them, or if they see him as a guy that is going to continue giving them headaches, both when it comes to signing new contracts and performing his was into $$ they simply can't afford.  Bishop commands huge money and I am sure they want to keep him in their core, as per Hedman.  I can see at least two, maybe three players been traded for more cap friendly contracts (ahem Hansen?), picks and more prospects to keep them balanced with palatable entry level contracts.  I wonder when the NHLPA is going to start rumbling about the 10% taking 90% of the pot - the entry level contracts are becoming the most important factor in balancing a teams cap.  Toews and Kane eat up almost 1/3 of their teams cap, and 18+ other players earn the rest (bye bye Sharp)...Stamkos-Bishop-Hedman will likely do the same, and then there's Kucherov, Palat and Johnson to consider...this teams definitely losing some very good talent this year for lesser players to free up their cap issues.

For sure.  I can see other teams in the same boat.  Islanders, Capitals, Jackets & Wild.  Should be an interesting season!

3 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

For sure.  I can see other teams in the same boat.  Islanders, Capitals, Jackets & Wild.  Should be an interesting season!

You bet.  The best way to fleece a GM is to target players that you know they can't sign and give them something that is palatable cap wise in return.  We don't have that much wiggle room either, but enough that if the salaries going the other way help we could sign another player for a 5-6mil contract, or a decent/good second liner (ahem with grit?).    Benning has publicly stated that Hansen and his cap friendly hit are here to stay...but he may be our best bargaining chip when dealing with these teams (plus picks and prospects, which these teams need in boatloads so enough pan to help pay for their expensive cores).

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 8:11 AM, IBatch said:

Suggest Hansen (our team needs cap relief too and his contract is cap friendly...but this is what NYR would love..(.so they can continue to over pay their top players) and Virtanen is what we would have to give up to get him.    Not sure I like this trade but Hayes had 45 points his rookie year and was +14, and plays a 200 foot game.  Seems to be the kind of player Benning covets.  Thoughts?   Spent a lot of time looking at the Wingers and trying to find a guy that we have the pieces that would attract a realistic trade to fit into Bennings plans (or at least the plans that he has let us know of), and this guy stood.   

Looks Like Hansen cap hit is 100k cheaper (2.5 vs 2.6 for Hayes) so cap relief is moot however I have always said we need the bigger bodies in our division.

On 7/24/2016 at 8:11 AM, IBatch said:

Kevin Hayes recently signed a 2.6mill contract after scoring 81pts in 158 career games (over two years).  Last year he slipped a little to 36 pts....playing only 13.39 minutes per game.  His points per hour would be tops on our team last year.  He's young 24, and big 6'5"/227lbs.  Doesn't take too many bad penalties and hasn't had many looks on the power play (ie doesn't often play) so his points are mostly 5 on 5.  He can kill guys when he hits too and obviously make some room upfront, good passing skills and a hard decent shot.

I am sure NYR are high on this guy, and they hope he gets better.  To me this guy fits as a second tier with upside of what Benning is looking for as far as adding some size to our forward line with upside to score us some more goals.   Like Bear, with more ice time the points should come.  And he is a Right Wing so we can move him up or down the 2/3 line anyway we like.    Not the best thing for the team as far as making blockbuster trade goes, but maybe realistically what we can accomplish in a hockey trade.   

Virtanen scored 13 points in 55 games, which translates to 19 points in 82 games, at the age of 19 with VERY limited ice time.

Hayes scored 45 points in 79 games at the age of 23. At the age of 19, Hayes scored 14 points in 31 games at Boston College.

I personally wouldn't make this trade. Not saying I don't think Hayes is good, but I do think Virtanen is going to be better.

2 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Virtanen scored 13 points in 55 games, which translates to 19 points in 82 games, at the age of 19 with VERY limited ice time.

Hayes scored 45 points in 79 games at the age of 23. At the age of 19, Hayes scored 14 points in 31 games at Boston College.

I personally wouldn't make this trade. Not saying I don't think Hayes is good, but I do think Virtanen is going to be better.

I think you may have missed the point of the post. Benning has publicity stated that he is looking for a guy that can contribute and has some grit and given our current posistion Hayes is a good target.  Sure Virtanen is young and should improve, but he hasn't done what Hayes has in this league yet.  I hope he can become a roster player, but Benning is looking for one now.  Haye is > than Virtanen at this point without a doubt and he has something the Virtanen will never have in size (which our forward line-up completely lacks).  I remember when everyone was high on Peter Scheafer and Harold Druken (apologies on spelling upfront)...they ended up as mediocre to dud players.  I hope Virtanen completely kicks ass, but his development is likely better in the AHL until his consistency improves.  

Archived