The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Fire Benning! Prediction, Whatever, Rant,

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 9:25 AM, chilliwiggins said:

Totally agree with you that Benning has to go, way to many rookie mistakes from day one.  he cost us draft picks, tossed 2nds around for busts.   mismanaged 1st rounders, overestimated 1st rounders.  failed to deal at deadlines when players walked at season end.   didn't know rules enough to avoid fines, as well as rules on signing euro players (tryamkin).   Beiksa deal to san jose , left a long serving player shopping for houses in San Jose only to have not read the fine details on the trade and wasting beiksas families time as that deal failed as benning was sleeping at the wheel.  when the team needed players now failing to see konecny was ready now, and boeser was years away and possibly never as he could ride out his contract and walk away a free agent without ever playing a game in Van.     Failing to adapt to the new style of the game when 3 on 3 came to be, as their were many speedy skilled players available at the time.   not now.      I see this guy as an epic fail by Linden , and I kinda have a little chuckle to my self sometimes thinking if Linden had talks with Chiarelli about Benning, when of course Chiarelli was going to be in the same  division.    I can here him now,"Oh ya you gotta hire this guy , hes the real deal, meanwhile thinking he just bumped himself up the standings by filling lindens head with BS......      The Boston Model........to funny

You can almost tell just how many fans bury their heads in the sand when confronted with even a history lesson let alone reality of the standings. Just look at how many mushrooms hit the negative button due to denial. The team is struggling to stay off the bottom and a lot of them think the team is better and improving versus other teams.

The responses to some posts in here is almost like having a kid say he is going to take his bat and ball and go home leaving the rest of the team not able to play or hold their breathe until they turn blue. How many have to be wringing wet before they'll admit it is even raining.

Many posters here called me an idiot, unknowing and other less than enlightening things one of which is that I want to see the team fail.

BUT

If such a mere uneducated unknowing hockey fan can see the writing on the wall, why can't the geniuses that run the team? Unless there is some other reason for lack of improvement and slow speed of retool/rebuild whatever.

Other team have intentionally nose dived for players, this group had to work hard to NOT to get a chance at McDavid or the top three picks this year.

Many mushrooms must feel very embarrassed especially after Linden admitted they knew all along that making the playoffs was a marginal possibility at best and that the team needed rebuilding but management delayed because they didn't want to hurt players feelings, after all who cares about the fans or the money they spend. He stated that, the team needed rebuild but it won't happen until the SEDIN's decide to stop playing hockey.

I wonder why more fans aren't upset that the management group has basically put the blame on the Sedin's for not doing what they admit they know they have to do? Or that it is the Sedins' fault for where the team is in the standings? 

Why aren't more fans screaming about the worst ever Canuck contract Benning gave Eriksson? 8 million a year for three years and 7 million of that as a signing bonus! Making him totally untradeable for the next 4 years! And lets just throw in a NTC as well, a protected spot, so much for trading for a decent player, can't protect him now. Sheer Genius!

Things can be changed from the current direction the team is going, but not by over paying aging one time  goal scorers, AHL players or guys other teams don't want, those are called roster players, they will contribute, just not as much needed. Who do they sign next? Ignila at 5 mil a season? For leadership?

If the team can get a couple of spots they can protect their draft picks should be worth a whole lot more than usual.

• 1 month later...

Can't say I am not a glutton for punishment.

I was concerned that the Nucks might be out of it too early but now it appears they might just fall into the area I figured they might be, while not all the ideas have yet come to fruition they could be right where I thought they'd be in the standings, still a few weeks left to go but February isn't as hard as March.

If Benning wants to keep his job, he should replace Desjardin with a successful veteran coach like Hitchcock (if he doesn't retire or Las Vegas doesn't get their hands on him).  It will give him the best chance of fulfilling Aquilini request of making the playoffs for a few seasons at least while the team draft and develop its players. 

On 1/27/2017 at 2:29 PM, TheGuardian_ said:

Can't say I am not a glutton for punishment.

I was concerned that the Nucks might be out of it too early but now it appears they might just fall into the area I figured they might be, while not all the ideas have yet come to fruition they could be right where I thought they'd be in the standings, still a few weeks left to go but February isn't as hard as March.

Does it matter? Tankivists want to tank to draft a good young player that can be dynamic and exciting.

In a 2 years we went from Bieksa // Hamhuis // Edler // Tanev // Sbisa from our NHL caliber defense to Stecher // Hutton // Tanev // Tryamkin // Gudbranson // Sbisa // Edler

3 of those players being 23ish or under!

Horvat // Baertschi // Granlund are all looking good this year too, I'm sure the mantra of playing them with vets to learn daily pro habits have helped out in their development. I'd rather be a middling team that is able to develop their draft picks versus a lowball team that has no team structure, no respect and no clue on how to play hockey... Look at Colorado they are a mess.

I'd say Benning is doing a pretty good job considering it's his 3rd year... I know Horvat is a MG pick but much like Nonis handing off the Sedins, Kesler and company off to MG a GM is given what they are given. Jim was given a declining pile and at least has turned out some youthful exuberance from thin air

Sounds like JB doesn't care where we finish this year drafting wise he's confident he can get a good player late in the first. The last time he spoke with such confidence he drafted Boeser sooooo I'm not too worried about tanking this season. There isn't really the high end elite players worth tanking for at the top of this draft sounds to me like there are a few guys lower down that he has his sights set on he feels confident will be just as good or better than many of the guys in the top 10. We likely also grab that CBJ 2nd and another pick or 2 in the top 90 + in exchange for Hansen and a expansion eligible D. I would be surprised if we go into the draft with fewer than 5 picks in the first 3 rounds and a couple of prospects JB fancies a la Bae, Granlund. I fully expect him to hit a home run on one of his swings. He managed to take a barren wasteland D prospect pool and turn it into a point of strength for our team in a radically short period in the next 2 years with his sights set on our FWD group and Boeser, Gaud, Lockwood already in the pipe I'm pretty happy to stay the course and see what JB has in store.  

On 12/17/2016 at 10:25 AM, chilliwiggins said:

Totally agree with you that Benning has to go, way to many rookie mistakes from day one.  he cost us draft picks, tossed 2nds around for busts. 

The only 2nd round pick that was a bust was Vey. Baertschi and Gudbranson are far from a bust

mismanaged 1st rounders, overestimated 1st rounders. 

Horvat was handled pretty good,  McCann's value was up and Virtanen is 20 year old developing his game in the AHL.  Both McCann and Jake were either NHL or Juniors. 

failed to deal at deadlines when players walked at season end.  

Agreed, should have worked harder at getting something in return for Hammer and Vbrata, even with them having NTC.

didn't know rules enough to avoid fines, as well as rules on signing euro players (tryamkin).   Beiksa deal to san jose , left a long serving player shopping for houses in San Jose only to have not read the fine details on the trade and wasting beiksas families time as that deal failed as benning was sleeping at the wheel.

Irrelevant..Fines don't hurt this team and Juice should have been smarter and waited for a deal to be finalized.

when the team needed players now failing to see konecny was ready now, and boeser was years away

Why are canucks in the need for now players?  That's why he went out and got players like Baertschi and Granlund.  In the draft he's always thought about long term benefit as opposed to short term benefit.  It's not like he didn't know Boeser wasn't committed to college, it's not like he didn't know a 18 year old defense would be a few years out. 

You can't make an argument up based on you're own opinion.  When has the goal ever been go all in, in the now?  Just because you think that doesn't mean anything.

and possibly never as he could ride out his contract and walk away a free agent without ever playing a game in Van.   

What a stupid argument,  Konecny could get a concussion and never play another game again.  Boeser will be a canuck for a very long time.

Failing to adapt to the new style of the game when 3 on 3 came to be, as their were many speedy skilled players available at the time.  

You can't just change your core overnight, especially when your top two players are old and on the decline.  We've been getting younger and adding skill into the line up. 

21 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

The only 2nd round pick that was a bust was Vey. Baertschi and Gudbranson are far from a bust

Horvat was handled pretty good,  McCann's value was up and Virtanen is 20 year old developing his game in the AHL.  Both McCann and Jake were either NHL or Juniors. 

Agreed, should have worked harder at getting something in return for Hammer and Vbrata, even with them having NTC.

Irrelevant..Fines don't hurt this team and Juice should have been smarter and waited for a deal to be finalized.

Why are canucks in the need for now players?  That's why he went out and got players like Baertschi and Granlund.  In the draft he's always thought about long term benefit as opposed to short term benefit.  It's not like he didn't know Boeser wasn't committed to college, it's not like he didn't know a 18 year old defense would be a few years out. 

You can't make an argument up based on you're own opinion.  When has the goal ever been go all in, in the now?  Just because you think that doesn't mean anything.

What a stupid argument,  Konecny could get a concussion and never play another game again.  Boeser will be a canuck for a very long time.

You can't just change your core overnight, especially when your top two players are old and on the decline.  We've been getting younger and adding skill into the line up. 

This entire post is an example of how management has lowered fan expectations. This is a team on the decline, when the Sedin's go the team will drop in the standings, they don't even have to go, time will do it's damage.

Etem, Clendening, Forsling, drafting players who are not ready for 2 to 4 years or maybe not at all.

How many years/season's go by before struggling not to be in the bottom 5 registers as not being a good team?

How many players like we have seen being drafted in the last two drafts go by before the team does the same as TO, Pitt, Tampa, Chicago, Montreal, Wash,....all these teams' had dramatic drops in the standings and drafted franchise players.

Yes, 45 pts is now seen as being a really gud player in this market.

Still this original thread was started in July, pretty close so far.

Just now, TheGuardian_ said:

This entire post is an example of how management has lowered expectations. This is a team on the decline, when the Sedin's go the team will drop in the standings, they don't even have to go, time will do it's damage.

The sedins have already gone, just in case your not watching the games. Sedins ARE NOT carrying this team. If anything the Sedins are holding back the icetime and opportunity of the younger players.

Etem, Clendening, Forsling,

What do that have to do with anything.  they didn't cost canucks 2nd round picks. 

drafting players who are not ready for 2 to 4 years or maybe not at all.

How many years/season's go by before struggling not to be in the bottom 5 registers as not being a good team?

How many players like we have seen being drafted in the last two drafts go by before the team does the same as TO, Pitt, Tampa, Chicago, Montreal, Wash,....all these teams' had dramatic drops in the standings and drafted franchise players.

Yes, 45 pts is now seen as being a really gud player in this market.

You don't even make any sense in what you are saying.  Maybe try formulating a readable sentence if you're trying to get a point across. I really don't have a clue of what this was meant to say?

Still this original thread was started in July, pretty close so far.

The forsling trade definitely hurts but we gotta remember at the time he was coming off a good world juniors and was severely undersized. We had 4 dmen hurt and in the thick of a playoff race. He sold high to help the boys make the push. The situation wasn't like it is now where we are fighting to get in, we were in a spot with teams chasing us. 

Clendening at the time had upside too. It's not like it was some ahl bum (I know he's garbage) but at the time he was lighting up the ahl and at the time was probably seen to have a better shot at being an nhler then forsling, with the added bonus he was helping us at a time of desperate need

12 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

The sedins have already gone, just in case your not watching the games. Sedins ARE NOT carrying this team. If anything the Sedins are holding back the icetime and opportunity of the younger players.

The Sedins still get 18+ minutes per game counting how much time they have on the PP. The game is 60 minutes. They play almost 1/3 of the game, lately they have gone over 20 minutes though. There is no player on this team that can take their time or offer their point production. If not "planned" for the disappearance from the team will be very noticeable.

16 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

What do that have to do with anything.  they didn't cost canucks 2nd round picks. 

True, there was a 6th round pick in there though. Forsling's trade could be a disaster, he won the Swedish top junior award and many of those players are top NHL players. The team did show they have good Sedish scouts but Benning traded away the future and didn't demonstrate very good talent evaluation in that deal.

The readable sentences;

I was trying to answer multiple posts but while I have figured out how to use partial quotes for your thread, I haven't for multiple posters. Just trying to keep to one reply instead of 6 or 7.

38 minutes ago, manroth19 said:

The forsling trade definitely hurts but we gotta remember at the time he was coming off a good world juniors and was severely undersized. We had 4 dmen hurt and in the thick of a playoff race. He sold high to help the boys make the push. The situation wasn't like it is now where we are fighting to get in, we were in a spot with teams chasing us. 

Clendening at the time had upside too. It's not like it was some ahl bum (I know he's garbage) but at the time he was lighting up the ahl and at the time was probably seen to have a better shot at being an nhler then forsling, with the added bonus he was helping us at a time of desperate need

Didn't Forsling get sent down to the minors?  Maybe he's no big woop?

1 minute ago, TheGuardian_ said:

The Sedins still get 18+ minutes per game counting how much time they have on the PP. The game is 60 minutes. They play almost 1/3 of the game, lately they have gone over 20 minutes though. There is no player on this team that can take their time or offer their point production. If not "planned" for the disappearance from the team will be very noticeable.

The sedins aren't leading the team anymore....Are you not watching the games.  They have become passengers, you can't use the argument that when they leave the team will flop because the twins aren't the reason the team is staying afloat right now, The young core is that reason and that young core is only going to get better.    There production isn't that impressive anymore.  They are two 45-50 point players that cost us over 14million and take up 18 minutes per game and the majority of the power play minutes.  Boeser alone will probably match Danks goal production next year.

True, there was a 6th round pick in there though. Forsling's trade could be a disaster, he won the Swedish top junior award and many of those players are top NHL players. The team did show they have good Sedish scouts but Benning traded away the future and didn't demonstrate very good talent evaluation in that deal.

Forsling could become a good player but right now he's behind, Stecher, Tanev and Gubranson in depth.  And we have a really strong young D core that were already building around.  Could have canucks waited a few more year and gotten more out of a trade value from Forsling, sure but it's by no means going to be a disaster.  Traymkin, Hutton, Juolevi, Stecher would have made it a long road for Forsling in Vancouver. 

The readable sentences;

I was trying to answer multiple posts but while I have figured out how to use partial quotes for your thread, I haven't for multiple posters. Just trying to keep to one reply instead of 6 or 7.

31 minutes ago, manroth19 said:

Traded away the future for a whopping 17 NHL games and 11 AHL games? For a playoff run? Usually a GM goes for a vet for a playoff run, not many go for a rookie to help push the team over the top, or even fill in.

Actually his AHL numbers were drastically declining.

If Benning wanted to help the boys make a push why didn't he trade for Robert Bortuzzo, Ian Cole or even Ryan Stanton? All these guys were cheap, not very old and may have not cost as much.

Archived