The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

My opinion on Virtanen for next season...

Sean Avery

So... Virtanen... where does he fit best? I personally think that he should stay in the AHL for a season with Granlund on that 1st line and come up when there are injuries, but if he does stay in the NHL again, then on which line? I decided to write my opinion/view on it all and which line he would fit best on if he were to stay.

1st Line: Him on the 1st line with the Sedins was an idea that I had a little while ago. He would protect them with his physical game and they would pass the puck to him and make him a big goal scorer for us (sort of like what Edmonton has planned with Lucic). That did sound like a good idea at first, but after the Eriksson signing, that idea went out the window for the most part. That doesn't mean it won't happen for at least a couple of games though, just not the whole season/most of the season.

2nd Line: The 2nd line is where he was on for a good amount of games and probably most games last season with Baertschi and Horvat (and Vrbata playing with them as well). In preseason, that line did amazing for a couple of games, but not so good in the regular season with Horvat and Vrbata both being a -30. Now with older and better players like Hansen and Sutter ready for next season and Jim wanting to get a 2nd line guy to let Baertschi progress at his own rate, I don't see that being a thing on the 2nd line.

3rd Line: For it being a thing on the 3rd line, maybe, but there are other players trying to earn that role for next season as well like Etem, Rodin, and Gaunce. Burrows could also earn that spot if Willie and Trevor thinks that line is too young and needs a veteran to help them out. With the season Virtanen had, he might be the odd man out.

4th Line: The 4th line in my opinion for next season will most likely have Dorsett, Burrows (because he'll probably be jumping around on the 4th and 3rd line), and whoever gets that center spot in preseason (I think it'll be Granlund). Virtanen might fit best on there. Some might say that this could be the best line for Virtanen, but the players that he would be playing with aren't the most experienced or the best. Granlund is a playmaker though, so if he does train hard and get better in the offseason, then him and Virtanen could be amazing on that line with Dorsett protecting them as well.

Overall: I think if Granlund makes the team and will play as a 4th line center, then Virtanen should play there with him. If he doesn't, then Gaunce or Zalewski should play there and Virtanen should play with Horvat, Baertschi, Etem, and Rodin on the 3rd line. Even though that line would be crowded enough already.

Again though, this is just my opinion/view on it all, so sorry if I sound s****d to you and sorry if there have already been topics like this.

Well... while you're still reading this... look what I got for Willie's pet Vey a little while ago when playing GM mode. :picard: Did Willie pay EA to do this or are they this bad at players potential? ... Probably both.

20160310_034926.jpg

I'm confused…at first you said Granny/Virt should play the top line in Utica, but then you conclude by stating you think Granny locks 4C and Virt should play with him there? Which is it?

I think Virt should at least start in Utica. He had a decent season with the 'Nucks overall but I think it was a bit of an eye-opener for him in terms of seeing the work ethic, conditioning, and skill required to hang with the big club. He's due for some development on the farm team. Bring him up as an injury call-up or to reward good play. Otherwise don't rush him.

7 minutes ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

I'm confused…at first you said Granny/Virt should play the top line in Utica, but then you conclude by stating you think Granny locks 4C and Virt should play with him there? Which is it?

I think Virt should at least start in Utica. He had a decent season with the 'Nucks overall but I think it was a bit of an eye-opener for him in terms of seeing the work ethic, conditioning, and skill required to hang with the big club. He's due for some development on the farm team. Bring him up as an injury call-up or to reward good play. Otherwise don't rush him.

What I meant is that I THINK Virtanen and him should play in Utica/AHL on the 1st line for next season, but IF he does stay in the NHL for next season, then I think him and Granlund should play on the 4th line together with Dorsett or the 3rd line if Granlund doesn't make the team.

22 minutes ago, Sean Avery said:

So... Virtanen... where does he fit best? I personally think that he should stay in the AHL for a season with Granlund on that 1st line and come up when there are injuries, but if he does stay in the NHL again, then on which line? I decided to write my opinion/view on it all and which line he would fit best on if he were to stay.

1st Line: Him on the 1st line with the Sedins was an idea that I had a little while ago. He would protect them with his physical game and they would pass the puck to him and make him a big goal scorer for us (sort of like what Edmonton has planned with Lucic). That did sound like a good idea at first, but after the Eriksson signing, that idea went out the window for the most part. That doesn't mean it won't happen for at least a couple of games though, just not the whole season/most of the season.

2nd Line: The 2nd line is where he was on for a good amount of games and probably most games last season with Baertschi and Horvat (and Vrbata playing with them as well). In preseason, that line did amazing for a couple of games, but not so good in the regular season with Horvat and Vrbata both being a -30. Now with older and better players like Hansen and Sutter ready for next season and Jim wanting to get a 2nd line guy to let Baertschi progress at his own rate, I don't see that being a thing on the 2nd line.

3rd Line: For it being a thing on the 3rd line, maybe, but there are other players trying to earn that role for next season as well like Etem, Rodin, and Gaunce. Burrows could also earn that spot if Willie and Trevor thinks that line is too young and needs a veteran to help them out. With the season Virtanen had, he might be the odd man out.

4th Line: The 4th line in my opinion for next season will most likely have Dorsett, Burrows (because he'll probably be jumping around on the 4th and 3rd line), and whoever gets that center spot in preseason (I think it'll be Granlund). Virtanen might fit best on there. Some might say that this could be the best line for Virtanen, but the players that he would be playing with aren't the most experienced or the best. Granlund is a playmaker though, so if he does train hard and get better in the offseason, then him and Virtanen could be amazing on that line with Dorsett protecting them as well.

Overall: I think if Granlund makes the team and will play as a 4th line center, then Virtanen should play there with him. If he doesn't, then Gaunce or Zalewski should play there and Virtanen should play with Horvat, Baertschi, Etem, and Rodin on the 3rd line. Even though that line would be crowded enough already.

Again though, this is just my opinion/view on it all, so sorry if I sound s****d to you and sorry if there have already been topics like this.

Well... while you're still reading this... look what I got for Willie's pet Vey a little while ago when playing GM mode. :picard: Did Willie pay EA to do this or are they this bad at players potential? ... Probably both.

20160310_034926.jpg

lost me at GM trading which is known to never be NHL level!!!!Jake should start in Utica and come new year or TDL he should be called back up!

2 minutes ago, BaerToBo said:

I know we signed Eriksson to play with the sedins but I hope they at least give these lines a try:

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen

Eriksson-Sutter-Virtanen

Baertschi-Horvat-Rodin

Gaunce-Granlund-Dorsett

No Etem? Rodin is someone I'm looking forward to seeing play during preseason as I haven't seen much of him yet other than highlights.

3 minutes ago, BaerToBo said:

I know we signed Eriksson to play with the sedins but I hope they at least give these lines a try:

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen

Eriksson-Sutter-Virtanen

Baertschi-Horvat-Rodin

Gaunce-Granlund-Dorsett

That would be interesting to see... looks like a lineup that has all lines good overall and not too old or young. I hope they try that out as well.

1 minute ago, Green Building said:

No Etem? Rodin is someone I'm looking forward to seeing play during preseason as I haven't seen much of him yet other than highlights.

I had a feeling this was going to happen next season when Benning made that trade... okay, now Etem is definitely better than Jensen and a 5th or whatever he gave up (I am getting a little scared though after how Jensen performed with Denmark at worlds), but we already have tons of young 3rd line guys like him. That's why I didn't see the point in getting him unless Willie wants one of them to sit on the bench for most of the year and get wasted.

15 minutes ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

The clock has already started on his ELC contract.  He's going to be angry with the Canucks if he spends most of his time in Utica next season.  That could hurt his worth in his next contract.  It could affect his attitude and his play.  Then after he becomes an RFA after the '17-'18 season, he'll want to get out of Vancouver and other teams could use that as an excuse to outbid JB for Virtanen's services.

As long as he can at least tread water, Virtanen will stay with the big club.

I'm not going to say what I think would be best for Virtanen until I see him at camp. Hopefully he shows up in great shape and with fire in his belly. If that's the case, then definitely NHL. If he shows up (again) with conditioning issues, or just has a poor camp/preseason (and is outplayed by others), I think you send him down and let Green work his magic on the kid.

40 minutes ago, BaerToBo said:

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen

Eriksson-Sutter-Virtanen

Baertschi-Horvat-Rodin

Gaunce-Granlund-Dorsett

Those lines look so good *drool*

Plus we can put Eriksson on the PP with the Sedins.

36 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

The clock has already started on his ELC contract.  He's going to be angry with the Canucks if he spends most of his time in Utica next season.  That could hurt his worth in his next contract.  It could affect his attitude and his play.  Then after he becomes an RFA after the '17-'18 season, he'll want to get out of Vancouver and other teams could use that as an excuse to outbid JB for Virtanen's services.

As long as he can at least tread water, Virtanen will stay with the big club.

So they should have someone who's just "tread[ing] water" on the team as opposed to someone that's earned it just because they don't want to make a 20 year old kid mad?? Virt's never been my favorite,and I always questioned his attitude, but even I have a hard time believing his ego's so big he'd pitch fit and pout to that level over starting (not necessarily completing) the season in Utica. And if that's truly where his ego is at then he's due to be taken down a peg as he certainly hasn't earned a spot on the team…yet.

If he blows everyone away and earns a Canucks spot out of camp that's great, but if he's borderline or disappoints then I hope he's charged his iPod- he's got a couple long bus rides ahead of him.

1 hour ago, BaerToBo said:

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen

Eriksson-Sutter-Virtanen

Baertschi-Horvat-Rodin

Gaunce-Granlund-Dorsett

me likey

17 minutes ago, Boddy604 said:

Don't see the logic in saying Virtanen should play in Utica but Gaunce should be on the Canucks. Virtanen is just a better player in every regard. I'm hoping they move Dorsett and have a 4th line of Burrows/Etem-Granlund-Virtanen.

I'd rather move Burr, we'd miss Dorsett's pugilism

23 minutes ago, Boddy604 said:

Don't see the logic in saying Virtanen should play in Utica but Gaunce should be on the Canucks. Virtanen is just a better player in every regard. I'm hoping they move Dorsett and have a 4th line of Burrows/Etem-Granlund-Virtanen.

But Virtanen won't play many minutes as a 4th liner on this team, or any team for that matter. If he's only here to play 8 minutes a night then I'd rather see him in Utica paying closer to 18.  

Archived