The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How our lines should look next year

Hortankin

56 minutes ago, Rocky Balboa said:

...CDC still wants Kane......:rolleyes:

Not this Canucks fan.  Skill without teamwork is not very valuable in a TEAM game like hockey.  We want a skilled team yes, but team chemistry is really important too.  Kane has some good physical skills but it's between the ears that makes him a questionable addition.  I suspect that lots of GMs, including GMJB, are thinking that.  He's not exactly being snapped up all that quickly.  It's his attitude that's the problem and that matters.  GCG!

12 hours ago, nickels said:

This is very close to how I see our lines.   Horvat is in every way a better #2 than Sutter.  This teams fortunes are very closely correlated to the extent to which Bo improves the next couple years.

I, personally am a huge Horvat fan, and can see him developing into a #1A C in this league.

It's interesting that neither of us see Dorsett or Sbisa as part of the core line up.  These two contracts were likely part of the reason Gillman was fired (disagreed with them).  Just when I find myself becoming a fan of Benning, I think back to how bad these looked at the time....how could he not see the same thing...when everybody else could ??

The other huge wild card is Virtanen....does he come to camp a different player and inpact the top 6 (or be used in a trade to up end the top 6). IMO Jake would look great with the 2 veterans Sutter and Burrows.   Also, hope Rodin is a top 6/9 guy.

If Juolevi impresses, and can play w/Gudbranson...would be all over something like Virtanen and Hutton for Landeskog

The scariest part about next season to me is the confidence being shown in Rodin,Hutton,Larsen and to a certain extent Gudbranson.  A lot of "ifs"

I want to keep Virtanen for now. He's a power forward, and they almost always take longer to develop. I have really high hopes for him in 4-6 years, and I'd hate to see him playing against us.

3 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Well none of us know what we have in Rodin or Juolevi so I assume your just trolling...

If you assume that then you assume wrong.I don't see Rodin or Burrows providing a physical forecheck and if juolevi shows well at camp watching him this season with the depth of Defense  would be interesting.

On 7/24/2016 at 11:34 PM, Hortankin said:

LOOKING AHEAD TO NEXT YEAR

Remember how we got 101pts 2 years ago? And remember how well we were doing last year b4 bizarre injuries rapidly occurred? Do you remember how our defence looked both years? A hell of a lot worse than it does now that's for sure. We have all been crying for defence and an perfect winger for the Sedins, and now we got both and people still complain. Call me crazy but I'm predicting a 1st or 2nd seed in our division and we will make it to atleast round 2 with a cinderella story possiblity. 2-3 more years and we will be a force to rekon with again, sorry so many people are blind and can't see the vast improvment JB has made in just 2 short years!

GO CANUCKS GO!!!

We have as much of a chance in doing well as LA, ANA and SJ.   We could end up 1st in our division, and a lot of media (especially eastern biased ones that don't do their homework) are going to suck it.

Just now, Positive Canuck said:

i can't wait to see
Virtanen-Horvat-Boeser

I agree . I would love to see us working towards building a new L1.

I think players work best in 2's.

So right now just consistently play Bo and Virt together. Let them start building chemistry...... till Boeser gets here....

13 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

I agree . I would love to see us working towards building a new L1.

I think players work best in 2's.

So right now just consistently play Bo and Virt together. Let them start building chemistry...... till Boeser gets here....

Hopefully Travis Green agrees next season.

Hopefully we have 2 second lines

Burrows-Sutter-Virtannen

Beartschi-Bo-Hansen 

Both linescould be very good third lines and interchangeable on  any of those two lines may or could potentially provide offense needed.

Bo is a 2 way player an should not be viewed as a just a defensive asset If WD deploys him in this fashion  ,I could envision Bo Ho gone in two years .it would be a travesty to not try an utilize his God given abilities to the fullest extent possible not just as a pocket filler on third fourth line give him some team mates that can convert chances realistically night in night out.

On July 25, 2016 at 9:28 AM, Tajun said:

I want to keep Virtanen for now. He's a power forward, and they almost always take longer to develop. I have really high hopes for him in 4-6 years, and I'd hate to see him playing against us.

I agree, I'd hate to see Virtanen traded....he's got skill, speed, a good shot, and plays with that physical edge..

On 25/07/2016 at 2:22 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

L2,  Comparing Ana's Gibson to our kid. I think they rushed him, & consequently muffed his development. Schneids might've been ( by 1 yr?) too gradual? Somewhere in between, is prob Goldilocks-worthy. Don't rush 'tenders & D.

21 or 22 they should be ready & primed.

How was Gibson rushed?  He's 23 years old and this will be his first year as the legitimate starter.  Last year he was backup to Andersen.  At 22 years of age last year, splitting time with Andersen, he put up 2.07GAA and .920SV% in 40 games.  You could argue the year before he was rushed but considering how well he played the following year (last year) it clearly didn't stunt his development.

22 minutes ago, dura_mater said:

How was Gibson rushed?  He's 23 years old and this will be his first year as the legitimate starter.  Last year he was backup to Andersen.  At 22 years of age last year, splitting time with Andersen, he put up 2.07GAA and .920SV% in 40 games.  You could argue the year before he was rushed but considering how well he played the following year (last year) it clearly didn't stunt his development.

Would be a few PO's back(2014?), figured they were leaning on him too heavily, vs the Kings in a tough series.

He had a rough game 7. Earlier in the series(kid was great) recall LA's Sutter saying that kid is so spectacular, we should all just go home, etc...Mind games on a youngin'.

Don't like putting rookie 'tenders in that situation, so young. Felt Ana shoulda' dealt for Miller, earlier that season(Nov, or Dec).

Even proposed it on this site.

Not the end of the world..but it was my opinion at that time.

your lines have a lot to like but you got a few fundamentals wrong.

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson    is undisputable after that, Sutter is our 2c. everything management/players have said supports that

Burrows - Sutter - Hansen

Baertschi - Horvat - Dorsett

Rodin - Granlund - Etem

Gaunce

Virtanen in AHL

Why? Ok. Sutter was brought in to be the 2c. Nothing has happened to change that. Everyone felt like Bo had too much responsibility that hindered his (and his linemates) development. 

The only question mark there is Burrows. Which depends on IF we acquire another top-6 LW (like Pirri, Hudler, Kane or Landeskog) to take this place.

3rd line - Lots of people (fans and management) said that Bo & Baert were overused last year. That's why it took them so long to settle in and produce. Their chemistry will continue, and they will face easier minutes.

4th - Rodin was given a 1way contract. Granlund & Etem were signed. Dorsett is ALWAYS a spare part depending on injuries/team.

Virtanen could definitely play right away. But with all of those guys to compete with, I see him going to the AHL. The past year was not a waste. I feel like he learned more up here than he could have in JR. But if there is no spot for him, he can easily go to Utica and become their #1 guy.

Edler - Tanev

Hutton -Gudbranson

Sbisa - Larssen

Tryamkin, Biega

This is where I see us carrying 8 D and 13F. Virt is easily in the AHL And so is Pedan.

The top 4 is incredibly powerful and we have yet to see what Larssen can bring to the table. If he falters, guys like Pedan and Subban will be pushing to come up and bring offense.

I'm not worried at all. I think our next year will be more productive than most think. (lots of analysts have us picking 1st)

Will we make a huge dent in the playoffs? Maybe not. But I do think we will come hard enough to be noticed.

7 hours ago, insomniac604 said:

your lines have a lot to like but you got a few fundamentals wrong.

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson    is undisputable after that, Sutter is our 2c. everything management/players have said supports that

Burrows - Sutter - Hansen

Baertschi - Horvat - Dorsett

Rodin - Granlund - Etem

Gaunce

Virtanen in AHL

Why? Ok. Sutter was brought in to be the 2c. Nothing has happened to change that. Everyone felt like Bo had too much responsibility that hindered his (and his linemates) development. 

The only question mark there is Burrows. Which depends on IF we acquire another top-6 LW (like Pirri, Hudler, Kane or Landeskog) to take this place.

3rd line - Lots of people (fans and management) said that Bo & Baert were overused last year. That's why it took them so long to settle in and produce. Their chemistry will continue, and they will face easier minutes.

4th - Rodin was given a 1way contract. Granlund & Etem were signed. Dorsett is ALWAYS a spare part depending on injuries/team.

Virtanen could definitely play right away. But with all of those guys to compete with, I see him going to the AHL. The past year was not a waste. I feel like he learned more up here than he could have in JR. But if there is no spot for him, he can easily go to Utica and become their #1 guy.

Edler - Tanev

Hutton -Gudbranson

Sbisa - Larssen

Tryamkin, Biega

This is where I see us carrying 8 D and 13F. Virt is easily in the AHL And so is Pedan.

The top 4 is incredibly powerful and we have yet to see what Larssen can bring to the table. If he falters, guys like Pedan and Subban will be pushing to come up and bring offense.

I'm not worried at all. I think our next year will be more productive than most think. (lots of analysts have us picking 1st)

Will we make a huge dent in the playoffs? Maybe not. But I do think we will come hard enough to be noticed.

Baertschi was overused to start the year? He was stapled to the bench for the most part.  By the end of December he had played less minutes than Sutter did in his 20 games.  It's when he started to get regular minutes because of injuries that he got going.  He finished the year as the 12th F in ice time.  Even when he started scoring he was only 8th among Fs. 

By the way - over the last 21 games of the season, Baertschi and Horvat only played 5 games together and that was because Granlund was injured (- Baer was out the last 5 but was playing with Granlund when he got injured).  Baertschi was tied to Granlund as from the TDL.  WD kind of suggested that both played better once separated, so it's not a given that they will be re-united.  Might be because of usage - Baertschi got used offensively while Horvat kept the same role but with defensive wingers. 

I am really unclear on the role they see for Horvat next season.  Even when Sutter was healthy Horvat was the checking C playing against the scoring lines with d-zone starts.  Baertschi was on his line because, to quote WD, he wasn't doing anything offensively but was not hurting the team defensively.  His game was finally coming back in March.  

If Horvat gets more of an offensive role - then I could see Baertschi-Horvat be reunited but not on a checking line.

Benning talks of Baer's playmaking and how he is going to be setting up the goal scorers - we were finally starting to see it in March.  He also took a hardly veiled shot at Calgary - 'he's a skilled player and needs to play with skilled players'.  Dorsett is not a goal scorer or a skilled player and would be a poor fit on an offensive line.

If Horvat is to keep a defensive role - I could see Baertschi continue with Granlund with a goal scorer needed at RW.  In March/April when both were in the lineup, Virtanen played with Granlund (save for Virtanen's two games with the Sedins).  Virtanen is probably in competition for that goal scorer's spot with Rodin or maybe even Burrows.  

Having a good and scoring second line is key now for making the playoffs, I think. Good first, good d and good goaltending are already there. What about making Sutter that gritty scoring winger on the second? He should take the face-offs for Granlund as well.

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Baertschi-Granlund-Sutter

Burrows-Horvat-Hansen

Etem-Gaunce-Dorsett/Virtanen

Rödin with a conditioning stint in the AHL after his injury

That makes two more offensive lines and two more defensive ones. And the third with Horvat having two vets on his wings could give Bo the opportunity to develop his defensive game to perfection.

Based on observing Willie and assuming no trades I am thinking the forward lines could look a bit like this:

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Sven- Sutter-Hansen

Burr-Granlund-Virt/Rodin

Dorsett-Horvat-Etem

Gaunce/Zalewski

And the lines I would have if it were me:

Sedin- Sedin- Hansen

Sven-Bo-Eriksson

Burr-Sutter-Virt

Gaunce-Zalewski-Etem/Dorsett/Gran

On ‎31‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 11:25 AM, Positive Canuck said:

Hopefully Travis Green agrees next season.

As far as I can tell, all this talk about firing Willie and hiring Green is 100% media driven.

Have I missed something or is this just more BS that has been cooked up by Botchford and our learned friends at TSN1040?

Linden said in his recent interview that Willie has delivered pretty much as expected.  Oh he has his flaws, like being outcoached by Bob Hartley in the play offs, but on a developing team, he has showed great patience and has brought several young players along where coaches like AV or Torts would have failed.  I'm talking about Baertschi, Horvat, Etem, Hutton and Virtanen.  He gives players a long rope and the good ones come around while others like Vey, Kenins, Bartkowski, Weber did not.  It's really up to Benning to evaluate anyways.

I think that a lot of people don't understand a coach when he isn't using the old school command and control approach. 

Archived