The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Danny Dekeyser re-signs with Detroit [6 years x $5M AAV]

Toews

I find it funny that whenever there is a signing, Aaron Ward is the one who breaks it, it's as if he is assigned the Wings team.  Poor guy's career is funneling down the toilet. 

As for the contract, it's probably the going price for a #3/#4 Dman.  Moms and dads, get your sons to play defense, they are paid so much more and sought after.  

From not having seen him play often and with his offensive defensemen label this seems like a big overpayment to me. 

23 points in 65 games in his rookie season

31 points in 80 games

20 points in 78 games

He's also got 2 points in 17 playoff games. 

43 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

From not having seen him play often and with his offensive defensemen label this seems like a big overpayment to me. 

31 points in 80 games

20 points in 78 games

He isn't an offensive defenseman. There is potential for growth in the offense but he is primarily being paid for his ability to defend.

2 hours ago, Apple Juice said:

Money is good, term maybe a year or two too long but I suppose both sides were in agreement that they wanted to stay in Detroit for a long time.

Term is fine as far as I'm concerned, and the AAV is something he'll grow into I think (or inflation will make it more reasonable, one of the two) even if it's a bit high now.

2 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

31 points in 80 games

20 points in 78 games

He faces the strongest quality of competition on the Wings blueline with the lowest offensive zone starts.

Gets the most shorthanded minutes on their blueline and very little powerplay time.

Nothing about that indicates 'offensive" defenseman - pretty clearly a top 4 shutdown defenseman.

Archived