The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Danny Dekeyser re-signs with Detroit [6 years x $5M AAV]

Toews

I'd be surprised how many people here have no idea what they're talking about, how good Dekeyser is, or what his actual role is....but this is CDC after all.

26 year old in his prime handling the hardest minutes on Detroit's blueline.

Not sure what he's supposed to sign for lol, but he's a top pairing/top 3 D in Detroit.

Reasonable contract is reasonable.

14 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I'd be surprised how many people here have no idea what they're talking about, how good Dekeyser is, or what his actual role is....but this is CDC after all.

26 year old in his prime handling the hardest minutes on Detroit's blueline.

Not sure what he's supposed to sign for lol, but he's a top pairing/top 3 D in Detroit.

Reasonable contract is reasonable.

Not to mention his Lucic proof midsection.

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

He faces the strongest quality of competition on the Wings blueline with the lowest offensive zone starts.

Gets the most shorthanded minutes on their blueline and very little powerplay time.

Nothing about that indicates 'offensive" defenseman - pretty clearly a top 4 shutdown defenseman.

Alright fair enough, like I said I've had limited viewings off him. Whenever I have heard his name brought up (very rarely) it's always been mentioned with him being an offensive defensemen. That's all I'm saying. I think when he was signed out of college he was given that label and maybe it's stuck with me. 

2 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

Alright fair enough, like I said I've had limited viewings off him. Whenever I have heard his name brought up (very rarely) it's always been mentioned with him being an offensive defensemen. That's all I'm saying. I think when he was signed out of college he was given that label and maybe it's stuck with me. 

Never put up much in the way of offense in college though.  The characterization doesn't fit that well even if people got that impression.

He may have put up decent offensive numbers considering his role, but even as a rookie he stepped in and played the third hardest minutes on their blueline (behind Kronwall and Ericsson), same as a sophomore, to where now he's their primary shutdown, hard minutes defenseman.

Considering that, his 75 points in three seasons is pretty damn good - certainly has earned a 5 million cap hit.

• b3. changed the title to [Signing] Danny Dekeyser re-signs with Detroit [6 years x $5M AAV]
4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Not surprisingly Travis Yost thinks this deal sucks. Guess he knows more than one of the best evaluators of talent in the league.

I saw the headline and knew exactly who wrote it. Didn't bother to take the bait and open it up. Bet he won't post a negative article about anyone on the Leafs, probably doesn't have the courage.........

Archived