The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Value of] Zemgus Girgensons

So I'm bored, and we all know what boredom can do to a fellow CDC poster, so I figured I will do a series of players Canucks can target on the trade market that fit the bill of what JB is looking for.  I will try to go in depth as much as I can, but tbh I have no idea what the analytics mean so I won't bother to try and pretend I know what it means haha.

He is looking for grit, scoring and a player to play on the wing preferably on the second line to insulate Sven Baertschi's development.

Yesterday we took a look at 

1) Anders Lee 

today we look at Zemgus Girgensons.

SCOUTING REPORT
Assets: Has imposing size, defensive acumen and offensive ability. Likes to play a physical game. Can produce plenty of offense as well as overpower opponents at lower levels. Can play all three forward positions.
Flaws: The jury is still out on his long-range scoring output at the National Hockey League level, and he may have to settle for third-line duties. Must continue to fill out his frame. Is inconsistent on offense.
Career Potential: Big two-way forward with some untapped upside.

YEAR TEAM LEAGUE GP G A PTS +/- PIM PPG SHG GWG TOI S PTSPG
2015-16 Buffalo NHL 71 7 11 18 0 20 1 0 1 15:02 110 0.25
  Latvia WC 7 1 0 1 -5 4 1 0 0 21:32 21 0.14
2014-15 Buffalo NHL 61 15 15 30 -16 25 1 3 1 19:04 115 0.49
2013-14 Buffalo NHL 70 8 14 22 -6 14 0 1 1 15:18 115 0.31
  Latvia WC 6 2 0 2 1 29 0 0 0 16:40 12 0.33
  Latvia Olympic 5 1 1 2 -2 2 1 0 0 18:12 9 0.40
2012-13 Rochester AHL 61 6 11 17 -7 28 1 1 0 - 91 0.28
  Latvia WC 5 1 0 1 -3 0 1 0 0 17:20 10 0.20
2011-12 Latvia WJC 6 2 0 2 -6 6 1 0 0 - 16 0.33
  Dubuque USHL 49 24 31 55 17 69 5 0 6 - 166 1.12
2010-11 Dubuque USHL 51 21 28 49 7 46 9 4 6 - 150 0.96

The 6'1'' 203 pound player loses quite a bit of attention due to the Kane saga, and hype around new guys Eichel and Reinhart.

What he brings:

- versatile, can play wing and centre

- can play all all specialty teams (net front presence, or last minute preserve the lead)

- already established NHL player (worse case already a third line player)

- likes to be physical, using his body to protect the puck and can stick up for teammates just youtube it (had 110 hits, 115 hits the past two seasons)

- smart two way player, fitting nicely into the team's model of two way responsible

Why to be concerned:

- After considering being on a better team than years past, failed to reach same numbers as to prior season.

- offensive ceiling is at question whether he can be a true top six forward

------

The numbers don't show a favourable outcome for Zemgus Girgensons.  He failed to match his career high of 15 goals and 30 points this past season with only 7 goals and 18 points.  Despite playing key minutes on the special teams, he was relegated to playing the third line with the likes of Brian Gionta and Johan Larrson.  

Sabre fans seem to be annoyed that Dan Bylsma didn't use Zemgus in the right role, thus seeing less development in his game this year.

Why he fits:

1) Sabres have a wealth of forwards at front. Especially done the wing and middle.

Projected lineup for next year

Kane - O'Reilly - Reinhart

Moulson - Eichel - Okoposo

Girgensons- Ennis - Gionta

Foligno - Larsson- Deslauriers

and possible additions of Jim Vesey, Girgensons could be pushed down further down the depth chart.

He would fit very nicely beside Brandon Sutter and Anton Rodin, allowing the Canucks to either push Jannik Hansen down the lineup where he belongs most likely beside Baertschi and Horvat, or pursue a trade.  Plus because he plays centre, if Brandon Sutter is injured, Girgensons still fills in as a safety value to insulate Horvat.

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Girgensons-Sutter-Rodin

Baertschi-Horvat-Hansen

Plus Girgensons grit and added two way play would allow him to improve all special teams, whether the net front presence on the powerplay on the second unit or being a shutdown PK duo with Brandon Sutter.

2) I think after a poor season, this is the chance for the Canucks to pull off another buy low deal.  The Canucks succeeded prying once prized forward Sven Baertschi from Calgary, Canucks again can do the same with Zemgus Girgensons.  There is a deal of uncertainty if he can bring his level of play beyond a third line player, but when under Ted Nolan he was given many opportunities to shoulder the load, and was only 21 at the time, and faired well enough to have expectations coming into this past season.

A change of scenary and role may help him flourish, plus he isn't far removed from his days in the USHL where he put up very good numbers that earned him to to be a top 15 pick.

He is only 22, he can only get better, and unlike players like Emerson Etem and Markus Granlund, he is already an established player.

He is a current RFA right now, seeking a new deal and coming off his first ELC, a bridge deal might be the best case scenario.

What would it take to get him here?

15 minutes ago, Toews said:

@SabreFan1 probably can speak to Girgensons' availability but I think the Sabres will want to hold onto him especially considering his value is likely at an all time low. I really wouldn't overpay for him and the Sabres will not want to deal him either.

If they could get a semi-decent return on him, I'd be willing to bet that they would deal him.  He wants a 2-3 year contract and the Sabres only want to sign him to a one year deal. 

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2016/07/18/sabres-dealing-muddy-case-trying-re-sign-girgensons/

4 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

If they could get a semi-decent return on him, I'd be willing to bet that they would deal him.  He wants a 2-3 year contract and the Sabres only want to sign him to a one year deal. 

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2016/07/18/sabres-dealing-muddy-case-trying-re-sign-girgensons/

Who would be better for us: Girgensons or Kane?

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Who would be better for us: Girgensons or Kane?

Depends on how you view Kane's personal life outside of the arena. 

Also, he gets along well with his teammates, but he didn't get along with the ones in Winnipeg.

Girgensons is a 3rd line player at best but he is less likely to cause trouble.

1 minute ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Im thinking it would probably take a Virtanen to get him. So do you flip a very young player with a lot of tools but zero hockey IQ in Virt for someone with less upside but arguably much smarter player in Girgensons?

Did you buy your licence before casting?

2 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

well its going to take more than Sbisa or some other garbage to get it done thats for sure...

So, this is a CANUCK's board, what would you expect?  No reason to "cast a net" here, is there?

Just now, Alflives said:

So, this is a CANUCK's board, what would you expect?  No reason to "cast a net" here, is there.

Definitely not. I realize where we are and gave an opinion. I try to be realistic and think that, or value equivalent to a Virtanen  is what it would take to get him here at this point in time. That said, I do not trade Virtanen as he is young with plenty of potential but a Gaunce/Sbisa/5th rounder, combo of them, etc is not going to do it. Just like it wont land a Kane despite his legal issues. 

3 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Definitely not. I realize where we are and gave an opinion. I try to be realistic and think that, or value equivalent to a Virtanen  is what it would take to get him here at this point in time. That said, I do not trade Virtanen as he is young with plenty of potential but a Gaunce/Sbisa/5th rounder, combo of them, etc is not going to do it. Just like it wont land a Kane despite his legal issues. 

Just like Larson won't land Hall?  If the Sabres do move Kane, it will be for a lot less than they gave up to get him.  IMHAO, of course. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Just like Larson won't land Hall?  If the Sabres do move Kane, it will be for a lot less than they gave up to get him.  IMHAO, of course. 

Oh i agree with you that they will get a lot less for Kane than it took to get him no doubt about it. But a lot less is still way more than a lot of suggestions on these forums even coming from us fans who of course would overvalue Canucks players (like any other teams fan base would theirs). That said I do not believe you can use the Hall trade as a comparison for anything. Edmonton got fleeced and I dont think anyone can predict what that management team is going to do at any time. Maybe they believe that due to having McDavid they think nothing else matters? 

1 minute ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Oh i agree with you that they will get a lot less for Kane than it took to get him no doubt about it. But a lot less is still way more than a lot of suggestions on these forums even coming from us fans who of course would overvalue Canucks players (like any other teams fan base would theirs). That said I do not believe you can use the Hall trade as a comparison for anything. Edmonton got fleeced and I dont think anyone can predict what that management team is going to do at any time. Maybe they believe that due to having McDavid they think nothing else matters? 

I agree with your sentiments on all accounts.  

Archived