The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden on TSN1040

Outsiders

Linden answered to some absurd questions. Typical Canuck off-season questions.

I'm happy with Linden and Benning at the helm. They are fairly open about the plans. Something people didn't like about Gillis is his secretive answers. Never really said anything special.

11 minutes ago, canacks1970 said:

From what Iv'e read so far Wilbur I don't see anything wrong with what Linden said about Kane. As far as I know he didn't meantion about aquiring him . All he said was people make mistakes.

I realize that, just commenting on someone wondering if he talked about Kane.  Of course Linden isn't going to mention Kane by name as I'm pretty sure they learned their lesson.

23 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

I was referring to Linden's comment specifically related to trades over the past year. He said he would do them again and I believe him.

You keep bringing up non trade related examples which are irrelevant to my posts.

I KEEP bringing them up? As in the one post I made about it? Interesting...

Funny how you want to just focus on the trades, which admittedly there's no reason to believe h believes the org made mistakes on. That question focused on all decisions that have been made so far, not just trades, for which Trevor gave the same answer. 

That aside, my initial point stands. Linden/Benning aren't going to admit to any mistakes at this point in time. How do you think that would make them look in the eyes of other teams, and just imagine the criticism they'd face from the fans. That's all I'm saying.   

3 hours ago, xereau said:

I really wish Linden didn't feel like he has to be the slick talking, every word is stiffly guarded, executive.

Its boring.  And its not him.  I honestly really like Mr. Meat and Potatoes GMJB for the reason he is real.

It's always been him. As team captain and head of the NHLPA, he's always talked a lot, but said very little.

3 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

The alternative was probably buyout, because they tried for a year and couldn't give him away.  Prust getting injured and returning too soon was unfortunate, not a reflection of the value of the trade.

16 games

It is a reflection of the value of the trade because the point is to look at it in hindsight. 

16 games more than when they made the trade :)

Personally I was 50/50 on the trade when it happened but after watching Granlund my opinion had swayed a bit in favour of still having Shinkaruk in our system (even if he ends up being a bust) - but like I said, who knows what Linden is thinking..

And there is no way we HAD to get rid of a 5th rounder just to avoid buying out Kassian.

2 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

I was referring to Linden's comment specifically related to trades over the past year. He said he would do them again and I believe him.

You keep bringing up non trade related examples which are irrelevant to my posts.

You seriously think that if he knew how the Prust situation would unfold (bit of a douche, meh while he was in good shape, useless after the injury), he would've made that trade?

Like come on.. his contribution in the 1/3rd season or so he played wasn't even worth Kassian.. let alone a 5th rounder that JB could've worked his magic on. I will say it again.. in my opinion, it's almost a certainty that Linden would have vetoed this trade if theoretically given the chance now.

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Juolevi back in London? I guess the extra development will do him some good, but I'm impatient. lol  It's okay. TOR, CGY and EDM will rush their top picks into the lineups and give them top minutes. I'm sure after the season ends for them, they'll have lost enough games to damage their confidence and team morale. And the cycle continues. Meanwhile, back in London, Juolevi will be developing his game, maybe win another championship or MVP award, confidence sky high, hungry to show what he can do in the NHL when he's ready.

Wouldn't be surprised if OJ ends up back in London for another year. Although you never know. Pretty sure management didn't even expect Hutton to be close to NHL ready last fall. Although, there probably isn't any room for OJ "at this moment". That could change if he makes them create a spot for him. I'd expect him to have a great summer and at least make them consider their options before the opener.

25 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

It is a reflection of the value of the trade because the point is to look at it in hindsight. 

16 games of mediocrity, yes. Personally I would much rather have Shinkaruk in our system still (even if he ends up being a bust) - but like I said who knows what Linden is thinking..

And there is no way we HAD to get rid of a 5th rounder just to avoid buying out Kassian.

You seriously think that if he knew how the Prust situation would unfold (bit of a douche, meh while he was in good shape, useless after the injury).

Like come on.. his contribution in the 1/3rd season or so he played wasn't even worth Kassian.. let alone a 5th rounder that JB could've worked his magic on. I will say it again.. in my opinion, it's almost a certainty that Linden would have vetoed this trade if theoretically given the chance now.

Prust is a good role hockey player on a team with vetrans and a team contending for the cup or playoffs. we thought we had a playoff team in the beginning of the year but it turned out we didn't. Prust got put in a bad spot where the team and the fans expected him to score more. but that really isn't his game. put Prust in Bonino's position and he probably would have been a big part of pittsburgh's run to the cup also. he's a reliable vetran player that doesnt make much mistakes. 

Kassian is a crackhead, i wouldn't want him on my team. you should be mad that JB gave Etem a chance before trading Shinkaruk for Granlund. JB rather give these 2 guys a chance over Shinkaruk pisses me off the most. i totally agree with you that it doesn't matter if he turns out to be a bust. i rather see him on the canucks too.

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Agreed. Good to see another bogey buried. I love how he swats the media malcontents and their CDC blind, followers. They'll all be crying into their mikes hard lemonade to-night.:o

That was a whole lot of focus on Evander Kane (without saying his name), and Trevor's responses support acquiring an 'uncivilized player.'

Wonder if this is Canucks Communications team guiding 'earned media' to socialize a pending trade for EK. 

In a separate interview, Kuzma confirms Buffalo needs a 2nd pair D and has named Sbisa as a potential target. 

1 minute ago, Kenny Powers said:

That was a whole lot of focus on Evander Kane (without saying his name), and Trevor's responses supported acquiring an 'uncivilized player.'

Wonder if this is Canucks Communications team guiding 'earned media' to socialize a pending trade for EK. 

In a separate interview, Kuzma confirms Buffalo needs a 2nd pair D and has named Sbisa as a potential target. 

If you are Buffalo, do you trade Kane for Sbisa?  There is not a chance of that unless the Canucks make a big add, don't you think?

Trevor was my idol growing up .  He played with so much heart and showed great character .  

I believe he is trying his best to make this team as competitive as possible but I dont believe a word that comes out of his mouth .  

He could teach politicians to give speeches about nothing . 

I love that he's an executive with our team .  I just wish he could be a little more real with the media and fans . 

Its starting to disappoint me a little . 

1 minute ago, bubbaCHUCK said:

Prust is a good role hockey player on a team with vetrans and a team contending for the cup or playoffs. we thought we had a playoff team in the beginning of the year but it turned out we didn't. Prust got put in a bad spot where the team and the fans expected him to score more. but that really isn't his game. put Prust in Bonino's position and he probably would have been a big part of pittsburgh's run to the cup also. he's a reliable vetran player that doesnt make much mistakes. 

Kassian is a crackhead, i wouldn't want him on my team. you should be mad that JB gave Etem a chance before trading Shinkaruk for Granlund. JB rather give these 2 guys a chance over Shinkaruk pisses me off the most. i totally agree with you that it doesn't matter if he turns out to be a bust. i rather see him on the canucks too.

Bold part^ is irrelevant though if we are discussing what Linden was asked.

Bonino played with Kessel.. there are reasons Prust has never been on a line with a player of that caliber. im guessing speed and hockey IQ but it's the NHL coaches who decide

he may not make many mistakes, but when you can't keep up with the rest of the team you are only a liability. I do hope he can recover, as it sucks to see a players game suffer after an injury..

bottom line is that they overvalued Prust. and they could've lost Kassian w/o losing a 5th round pick. that is what hindsight shows..

as for Shinkaruk never getting a shot on the nucks - it would've more likely dropped his trade value than the slim chance of increasing it (small guy and just not ready yet.. but "potential" is there that GM's will gamble on). we basically got Etem for free, and personally I like him for a potential 3rd liner

:)

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I've read Gaunce and the Torts second plus Sbisa.  But then, I look at that from the Sabres POV, and I just don't see that as fair.

Yeah, tough to gauge his discounted value.  1040

asked Kuzma if JV would be required, but he didn't respond directly 

Archived