The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Red Wings re-sign G Petr Mrazek [2 year x $4M AAV]

b3.

The Detroit Red Wings and goaltender Petr Mrazek have agreed to terms on a two-year contract ahead of a scheduled arbitration hearing Wednesday.

Mrazek’s new deal is worth $8 million and will see the 24-year-old check in with an average annual value of $4 million against the salary cap.

Mrazek was seeking a $10 million award while the team had offered a two-year, $5.85-million deal.

Mrazek registered a 2.33 goals-against average and a .921 save percentage to go with a 27-16-3 record in 54 appearances in 2015-16.

The Red Wings originally selected Mrazek in the fifth round, 141st overall, in the 2010 NHL Draft.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/red-wings-mrazek-avoid-arbitration-2-year-8m-pact/

Fair deal for a young starter.

They'll need to get a trade done on Jimmy Howard though or the Red Wings will be in cap hell this season. Currently sit only a few 100K under the cap with 23 man roster.

Interesting to listen to Detroit fans talk about Holland these days. They're not too happy with his contract work the last few seasons. Which is strange to see after Holland being pretty much untouchable management royalty and considered one of the best in hockey for more than 15 years.

31 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

They'll need to get a trade done on Jimmy Howard though or the Red Wings will be in cap hell this season. Currently sit only a few 100K under the cap with 23 man roster.

Interesting to listen to Detroit fans talk about Holland these days. They're not too happy with his contract work the last few seasons. Which is strange to see after Holland being pretty much untouchable management royalty and considered one of the best in hockey for more than 15 years.

It's amazing how a few bad contracts can put a GM in such a hole with the fans. 

Good deal though for Petr.

42 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Howard will be tough to deal. That's not a desirable contract anymore. They will have to retain a fair bit of salary to get someone to take that contract.

1 minute ago, Lonny_Bohonos_14 said:

Does Detroit need to protect Howard? If so, Las Vegas has an easy choice taking Mrazek.

Are you sure about this? I don't think Howard has a NMC.

15 minutes ago, Jaku said:

It's amazing how a few bad contracts can put a GM in such a hole with the fans. 

Good deal though for Petr.

Not really.  He should have made the Wings include the missing "e" for his name. B)

7 minutes ago, Lonny_Bohonos_14 said:

Does Detroit need to protect Howard? If so, Las Vegas has an easy choice taking Mrazek.

Howard only has an NTC currently (had an NMC, but only through 2014/15). They'd likely protect Mrazek in this case and leave Howard unprotected if they haven't yet traded him.

54 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

You only need 23 men on the roster... And they're sitting about 4.5 million over the cap,  however when the season starts some players will get moved to the ir which will free up 5+ million on space...

They're actually almost $4.9M over currently ($4.867 actually) - and that's with 15 forwards (17 including Franzen and Vitale) and only 6 defenceman included in that 23. Something's got to give on their roster, and even if they clear $5.071M with LTI (which is what allows them to exceed the cap, not IR) for Franzen and Vitale, then they're only left with $200K to work with in case of short term injuries or other call ups. Since the minimum NHL contract is somewhere around $600K and they would be calling up a 7th defenceman pretty much all the time, that doesn't really work.

19 hours ago, Toews said:

Are you sure about this? I don't think Howard has a NMC.

18 hours ago, elvis15 said:

Howard only has an NTC currently (had an NMC, but only through 2014/15). They'd likely protect Mrazek in this case and leave Howard unprotected if they haven't yet traded him.

That's right. I knew he had a NMC at one point -- I thought it was still in effect.

Archived