The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rio 2016: Olympic athletes told to ‘keep your mouth closed’ when in contaminated water

Rio 2016: Olympic athletes told to ‘keep your mouth closed’ when in contaminated water

http://www.news.com.au/sport/olympics/rio-2016-olympic-athletes-told-to-keep-your-mouth-closed-when-in-contaminated-water/news-story/45e6ae4643f4dbd4001281f669b898c1

On top of concerns over substandard Olympic village accommodation, athletes have been warned that Rio’s aquatic sites remain contaminated.

Government and Olympic officials admit efforts to treat sewage and clear garbage from Guanabara Bay and the city’s beaches have been insufficient, prompting warnings from health experts.

The bay will host the sailing and windsurfing events at next month’s Olympics.

Scientists say the waters are filled with a host of pathogens and viruses with recent tests showing it is more contaminated than first thought.

The IOC members must have somehow read the list of potential candidates to host the 2016 games upside down, and Rio is actually at the bottom. 

That's the only explanation I can think of.

I mean, technically speaking, it isn't even summer there right now.

All the athletes competing in Rio can truly say that they'll probably be taking home a little piece of Brazil with them......somewhere in their digestive tract, or maybe their bowels, or possibly their eyes.

All the same, this should be enough of an indication that the Olympics is now a joke. It's really an unnecessary event that is completely out of touch with reality.

It would make much more sense for one country or region to host a World Games event every year, or at whatever interval makes sense. Brazil can't afford to hold these games, and all the issues arising are proof of this.

The IOC is a joke and hopefully these games are the first chop of the ax that brings that bloated organization and its elitist agenda down.

In my humble opinion, of course.

19 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

All the athletes competing in Rio can truly say that they'll probably be taking home a little piece of Brazil with them......some where in their digestive tract, or maybe their bowels, or possibly their eyes.

All the same, this should be enough of an indication that the Olympics is now a joke. It's really an unnecessary event that is completely out of touch with reality.

It would make much more sense for one country or region to host a World Games event every year, or at whatever interval makes sense. Brazil can't afford to hold these games, and all the issues arising are proof of this.

The IOC is a joke and hopefully these games are the first chop of the ax that brings that bloated organization and it's elitist agenda down.

It's true, oh it's true. 

1) most Olympians come from rich backgrounds. Ei, these are mostly sports that you have to practice all the time to get to even Olympic selection levels. In all honesty most of us have to work and wouldn't have that time to compete/practice unless you come from a rich background. It's no longer amateur and about natural ability. The true best in 1st world countries never get a shot if they don't come from a  wealthy  background.

2) the doping is a joke, I feel that it's not even like it's kept secret anymore. It's a matter of who can cheat the best and whose drug tests are they willing to sweep under the rug. They always seem to catch counties that oppose the states economically or politically. And then the double standard. This has a long history; Stripping Ben Johnson of the Gold to give to Carl Lewis? That's the equivalent of busting one dope dealer and giving all his dope to his neighbour that's dealing as well...

3) the corruption of the IOC.

4) the sketchy places to host; Korea, Brazil??? What's next Saudia Arabia... France? Should we invite team Isis to the next one?

5) The fact that it means absolutely nothing to most people within a few weeks... So really could most even  give a $&!# if it's even there or not? 

As a working class citizen, olympics mean absolutely &^@# all to me. I saw in late 2009 the absolute downside of humanity of them. When the province of BC fixed up homeless shelters in my city and neighbouring ones and bused the homeless up here by the 100s to hide them from the world during the olympics. 

This is ancient tradition needs to end as it no longer serves a purpose beyond distracting the masses from real issues for 2 weeks or so.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

All the athletes competing in Rio can truly say that they'll probably be taking home a little piece of Brazil with them......some where in their digestive tract, or maybe their bowels, or possibly their eyes.

The IOC is a joke and hopefully these games are the first chop of the ax that brings that bloated organization and it's elitist agenda down.

Humble as always, Phil. ::D

2 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

It's true, oh it's true. 

1) most Olympians come from rich backgrounds. Ei, these are mostly sports that you have to practice all the time to get to even Olympic selection levels. In all honesty most of us have to work and wouldn't have that time to compete/practice unless you come from a rich background. It's no longer amateur and about natural ability. The true best in 1st world countries never get a shot if they don't come from a  wealthy  background.

2) the doping is a joke, I feel that it's not even like it's kept secret anymore. It's a matter of who can cheat the best and whose drug tests are they willing to sweep under the rug. They always seem to catch counties that oppose the states economically or politically. And then the double standard. This has a long history; Stripping Ben Johnson of the Gold to give to Carl Lewis? That's the equivalent of busting one dope dealer and giving all his dope to his neighbour that's dealing as well...

4) the sketchy places to host; Korea, Brazil??? What's next Saudia Arabia... France? Should we invite team Isis to the next one?

5) The fact that it means absolutely nothing to most people within a few weeks... So really could most even  give a $&!# if it's even there or not? 

As a working class citizen, olympics mean absolutely &^@# all to me. I saw in late 2009 the absolute downside of humanity of them. When the province of BC fixed up homeless shelters in my city and neighbouring ones and bused the homeless up here by the 100s to hide them from the world during the olympics. 

This is ancient tradition needs to end as it no longer serves a purpose beyond distracting the masses from real issues for 2 weeks or so.

Well they do have shooting events.

Too soon?

8 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

It's true, oh it's true. 

Yep, no sense in keeping it, IMO.  Don't care so much about #1.  I enjoy the competition, but the doping BS and all too often the events that have scoring by judges make a mockery of it all.  And when you consider some of the eventual empty buildings (I cringe about what happened with the World Cup in Brazil), it's wasteful of infrastructure resources that could be better used elsewhere.

But, there is a crapload of money involved, so it will be tough to implement real change, I'm sure.  

Of course, as a hockey fan, I would sure miss that competition in the winter games, assuming NHL players are allowed to go.

8 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

It's true, oh it's true. 

Yea what a disgrace. Went for a drive to the DTES during the olympics, was like another city, everything was spotless. Fast forward a month after and its back to normal. Politics and Optics in front of the world and all of a sudden we have a solution to homelessness!

Well said ST37. 

10 minutes ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

Yea what a disgrace. Went for a drive to the DTES during the olympics, was like another city, everything was spotless. Fast forward a month after and its back to normal. Politics and Optics in front of the world and all of a sudden we have a solution to homelessness!

Well said ST37. 

No, it was not spotless.  I live only a few blocks from the DTES and it was exactly the same then, now, and before the Olympics.

Nothing has changed despite the millions of dollars thrown at that area every month.  Mayor Roberson was in power before the Olympics and remember that he promised homelessness would end by 2015.  Did not happen and never will end.

19 minutes ago, DonLever said:

No, it was not spotless.  I live only a few blocks from the DTES and it was exactly the same then, now, and before the Olympics.

Nothing has changed despite the millions of dollars thrown at that area every month.  Mayor Roberson was in power before the Olympics and remember that he promised homelessness would end by 2015.  Did not happen and never will end.

Well when I drove through Hastings during the Olympics, there were no people loitering on the streets like prior to and after. The streets were also much cleaner.

What is actual fact, however, is that the govt did provide homeless shelters specifically for the Olympics. Maybe they only cleaned up the main visible areas, as I did not choose to venture into the alleyways. 

Here is a great article on what went on

http://library.la84.org/SportsLibrary/ISOR/isor2014l.pdf

10 hours ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

Well when I drove through Hastings during the Olympics, there were no people loitering on the streets like prior to and after. The streets were also much cleaner.

What is actual fact, however, is that the govt did provide homeless shelters specifically for the Olympics. Maybe they only cleaned up the main visible areas, as I did not choose to venture into the alleyways. 

Here is a great article on what went on

http://library.la84.org/SportsLibrary/ISOR/isor2014l.pdf

I was suspicious of it but little did I know that the government actually pushed legislation through to make it legal. Lol the weather is getting extreme, so let's ship the homeless to places where it gets -20 - -27ish. 

On 7/29/2016 at 6:01 AM, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I was suspicious of it but little did I know that the government actually pushed legislation through to make it legal. Lol the weather is getting extreme, so let's ship the homeless to places where it gets -20 - -27ish. 

Yea, kind of sad, but what can we expect? The situation in the DTES has been like this for how long? Poor people really do not have any rights. 

Another article to read is the stories of beat cops working this area

http://www.beatcopdiary.vpd.ca/ 

much respect to these actual officers....your post is emblematic of a humanist approach, you have seen through the gluttony and greed we have all become used to. You are also deserving of respect for outlining your opinions. 

Still waiting on @DonLever response......

Archived