The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will we re-sign Vrbata?

sedinsforever

Surprisingly...or not...Radim Vrbata remains a UFA.

Other teams don't want him because of his season this year with the Canucks, but I don't think that should be a reason not to sign him. He's a goal scorer and is one heckuva player...just had a bad player.

You think we'll re-sign him?

10 minutes ago, sedinsforever said:

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

No.

The better question is if it happens will you, Vintage Canuck, post the thread about it?

11 hours ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

Yes. JB said he wanted a tough, gritty, non-pouty top 6 forward, so I bet he is working the details on a contract as we speak. 

Hopefully we lock him long term 6-7 years, he can help us when we make a cup run in 2021. I'm sure JB can get an AAV of 2.5 mil because of the term.

Gonna go out on a logical limb and say there is a ZERO percent chance of this happening.

Vrbata was good for one season alongside the Sedins.

But when his age started to show, and he got downgraded, his totals compliment said age.

Eriksson will play with the Sedins. So there is no feasible scenario in which Vrbata would make sense for our team.

23 minutes ago, sedinsforever said:

Surprisingly...or not...Radim Vrbata remains a UFA.

Other teams don't want him because of his season this year with the Canucks, but I don't think that should be a reason not to sign him. He's a goal scorer and is one heckuva player...just had a bad player.

I have a question for you. 

Let's say you hired a contractor to do some work for you. 

He's eager and on time. He's a very productive employee. There are issues and challenges and he seems to find a way. 

You bring him to the next project and inform him due to some changes your not really sure how you can best use him. 

You try him in a few places and his production is lackluster. It seems that he was motivated to do finishing work but now you need concrete poured he's always in the Porta potty.  You consider moving him to another job site near completion,  he comes up with reasons why he can't. He isn't getting the concrete done and he seems to be waiting for his shift to end. 

He publicly admits he didn't come to do concrete, he could have gone to the other job but basically wasn't interested in cooperation.  

The job severely suffers and your reputation is tarnished. Contracts come into question and your company falls further away from previous profitability. 

Your commitments together come to and end and you part ways. 

Do you rehire him ? His rates have dropped. Can you look him in the eye even?

3 minutes ago, PrinceGeorgeGoon said:

I have a question for you. 

Let's say you hired a contractor to do some work for you. 

He's eager and on time. He's a very productive employee. There are issues and challenges and he seems to find a way. 

You bring him to the next project and inform him due to some changes your not really sure how you can best use him. 

You try him in a few places and his production is lackluster. It seems that he was motivated to do finishing work but now you need concrete poured he's always in the Porta potty.  You consider moving him to another job site near completion,  he comes up with reasons why he can't. He isn't getting the concrete done and he seems to be waiting for his shift to end. 

He publicly admits he didn't come to do concrete, he could have gone to the other job but basically wasn't interested in cooperation.  

The job severely suffers and your reputation is tarnished. Contracts come into question and your company falls further away from previous profitability. 

Your commitments together come to and end and you part ways. 

Do you rehire him ? His rates have dropped. Can you look him in the eye even?

That is an interesting perspective and something I thought about.

I hope we don't resign him, but if any of our "contract extensions" showed, JB ends up giving it to the wrong players.

Ex. Sbisa. 

1 minute ago, sedinsforever said:

That is an interesting perspective and something I thought about.

I hope we don't resign him, but if any of our "contract extensions" showed, JB ends up giving it to the wrong players.

Ex. Sbisa. 

Overpayment can be viewed as an investment in confidence. More likely it's just a plain old mistake. Either JB thought sbisa is more than sbisa thinks he is. Or sbisa has some issues to overcome. The turnover machine that was sbisa 1.0 is a farcry from the man who finished the season. Albeit insufficient for his wages he seemed to be working hard.

On the other hand Vrbata disappeared.  Floating in for loose pucks,  juicy rebounds or 2 on 1 scenarios. The dangerous speedy sniper on the PP turned "I'm not getting hurt for a paycheck. " 

IMO he didn't try. Dorsett is a workhorse , sbisa is a decent depth defenceman who plays the body and has a decent shot from the point.  Both are overpayment. 

Vrbata is the coaches son, the kid with the nicest gear, the radulov, the "this isn't in my job description" guy. 

Archived