The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will we re-sign Vrbata?

sedinsforever

This doesn't make sense on many levels.

1.  He doesn't want to play here.  

2.  He won't play with the Sedins FOR SURE now that LE signed.

3.  Currently it doesn't appear a single team is calling......I don't think I have read even a rumour lately.

For the Canucks I think it makes more sense to have Sutter and Horvat building chemistry with players they will be playing with for the next several years.......

Didn't he sign overseas?  

Vrbata is done. He saw to it last year that he played so poorly that no team would want him, at any price. 

From a record year to exiting the NHL in 2 years time.  Not sure if I should be impressed by his dedication to mediocrity or not...

11 hours ago, sedinsforever said:

I hope we don't resign him, but if any of our "contract extensions" showed, JB ends up giving it to the wrong players.

Ex. Sbisa. 

So your thread is a weak attempt to bait people to criticize Benning for a ridiculous hypothetical non-starter...

Quality discussion.

Vrbata's agent said a couple weeks ago that they were talking to four NHL teams about contracts: http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/07/18/vrbata-is-talking-to-four-teams-about-a-contract-agent/?n0ndj

Not sure which teams. If you go by the rumours, a return to Arizona seems most likely. Habs, Oilers, Ducks, Leafs, and Rangers have also been rumoured to be kicking tires (at various points over the summer).

Apparently Vrbata still wants top dollar. And he definitely won't get it after last season. So probably the delay is mostly about the numbers (and teams waiting for Vrbata to accept the reality that he'll need to take a serious "haircut" on his next deal).

At a lower salary, he could actually be a shrewd signing for a team with complimentary players. He's likely to bounce back with the right linemates. 

I expect him to be signed with an NHL team before the training camps open.

Just not in Vancouver.

I want to know what was said that caused vrbata and Hansen to swap spots in the playoffs 2 years ago.

We've heard there was an issue in the dressing room. The sedins wanted yanik.  Wonder what transpired?

I'm curious if vrbata talked smack to Hansen and it was out of turn.  I'm curious  obviously I'm just speculating!

Did we ever hear more because it wasn't that Willie wanted to shake things up.  I recall them saying the sedins wanted Hansen so what caused the sudden change?

If Hansen had the chemistry with the sedins like last season that series could of gone very different. But having the sedins shut down with tons of offensive pressure but next to no scoring really hurt us that series.

Anyone got any info?

42 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I want to know what was said that caused vrbata and Hansen to swap spots in the playoffs 2 years ago.

We've heard there was an issue in the dressing room. The sedins wanted yanik.  Wonder what transpired?

I'm curious if vrbata talked smack to Hansen and it was out of turn.  I'm curious  obviously I'm just speculating!

Did we ever hear more because it wasn't that Willie wanted to shake things up.  I recall them saying the sedins wanted Hansen so what caused the sudden change?

If Hansen had the chemistry with the sedins like last season that series could of gone very different. But having the sedins shut down with tons of offensive pressure but next to no scoring really hurt us that series.

Anyone got any info?

First of all, Vrbata got his bell rung in the Calgary series - I recall him taking an open ice hit and wilting thereafter.

Second, Hank pretty clearly stated that Vrbata just didn't provide the kind of forechecking and hard areas presence they needed on their line - that he left it to the Sedins to create space.  Simply not ideal and taxes them too much.  Good powerplay complement for sure, but 5 on 5 Vrbata just lacked the weight and grit they need in a RW.

Archived