The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will we re-sign Vrbata?

sedinsforever

13 hours ago, Provost said:

Not a chance... it wasn't that he had a subpar season, it was the entirely unmotivated and lacklustre way he went about it.

Right from the start of the season you could tell his attitude was not where it needed to be when he started complaining about line juggling in training camp and not having consistent linemates.  Training camp is the time for that sort of experimenting to happen and he just wasn't where he wanted to be.

Bang on.

No way to Vrbata. 

You can always pick the players who have die-hard Canuck's blood in them or those that were just in it for the money, Vrbata is in good company with Sundin, Messier, Demitra, and the list goes on with players that make a cameo appearance in a Canuck's sweater. Great player, just not a great fit. He'll make his return to Arizona or if nothing else, the Rangers can always use older talent.

Hard, ok very hard pass.  Rather we open a roster spot for our young guys.  The team will never find out what some of them can (might) do if they aren't given the chance.  A "Hockey Trade" could happen, and we could end up with losing some of our younger players/prospects for a proven veteran, but unless it's a huge upgrade I think we should just stay with what we have now...

Forget Vrbata, been there done that.

IMO, Gaunce needs to finally step up this year and make the team, otherwise he may go the route of Jensen - another promising prospect who was never given a decent chance by the Canucks.

Though this question was essentially answered at the outset of the offseason, I still can't help but pore over these threads in anticipation of what people have to say about Vrbata. It seems strange but I think I can explain why this is. 

I have a friend who loves the Canucks to death. I still remember sending her a comforting message the night they lost Game 7 to the Bruins in 2011. It helped to ease her tears and remains one of our favourite memories in the eight years we have known each other and followed this team.

I remember her telling me during the 2014-15 season that Vrbata was her favourite player. He was also my favourite that year. It was a big comeback season after the Tortorella debacle (U2: "everything I ever lost now has been returned") and, technically, one of our most successful. Despite being ousted in the first round, the Canucks collected 100 points for just the ninth time in franchise history.

Apart from his great snipes and shootout goals, Vrbata also seemed like a quality guy. I still remember defending him earlier this season when some of you (very understandably, by the way) took exception to his comments about not having supportive linemates; in hindsight, I can see that his comments were illustrative of his poor attitude.

I think the earlier post about some fans treating former players like ex-girlfriends whom they still have feelings for is relevant here. I'm sure we all get attached to former players or lay awake wondering what could have been sometimes. I'm not certain if this is the last word on Vrbata but I would like to say that I really enjoyed having him and last season was a very special one. It is, of course, time to move on but I also like to take the time to remember the good, just as I did when I was comforting my friend some years ago.

3 hours ago, RFK said:

Though this question was essentially answered at the outset of the offseason, I still can't help but pore over these threads in anticipation of what people have to say about Vrbata. It seems strange but I think I can explain why this is. 

I have a friend who loves the Canucks to death. I still remember sending her a comforting message the night they lost Game 7 to the Bruins in 2011. It helped to ease her tears and remains one of our favourite memories in the eight years we have known each other and followed this team.

I remember her telling me during the 2014-15 season that Vrbata was her favourite player. He was also my favourite that year. It was a big comeback season after the Tortorella debacle (U2: "everything I ever lost now has been returned") and, technically, one of our most successful. Despite being ousted in the first round, the Canucks collected 100 points for just the ninth time in franchise history.

Apart from his great snipes and shootout goals, Vrbata also seemed like a quality guy. I still remember defending him earlier this season when some of you (very understandably, by the way) took exception to his comments about not having supportive linemates; in hindsight, I can see that his comments were illustrative of his poor attitude.

I think the earlier post about some fans treating former players like ex-girlfriends whom they still have feelings for is relevant here. I'm sure we all get attached to former players or lay awake wondering what could have been sometimes. I'm not certain if this is the last word on Vrbata but I would like to say that I really enjoyed having him and last season was a very special one. It is, of course, time to move on but I also like to take the time to remember the good, just as I did when I was comforting my friend some years ago.

Or maybe it was the disappointment of a guy who sets himself high standards and wants to win and do well. I would much rather accept the coaches OFTEN REPEATED opinions/comments on Vbrata than some of the people on here.

It is great how if you are a pure idiot who hardly broke sweat on the ice, ambled about like a football player who had wandered into the wrong dressing room, continually took stupid penalties and ignored the advice of your coach and GM, you get treated like some kind of returning prodigal son but if you score 60+ points then have a nightmare season in a team having a nightmare season many of the games where you are required to babysit struggling youngsters, despite that not being "a game you are equipped for" you are suddenly a pariah.

Vbrata has a long career behind him and much of it spread over 2 clubs. Don't you think in that time if he had a reputation or even tendencies to be the type of player he is being made out to be here the management (who are into character guys) would have known about it.

I was not impressed by some of the things the Twins came out publicly with but I didn't assume it made them any less of a team player or had less loyalty to the Club.

Your post saddens me as it implies you have been influenced by people on here who don't have a clue about his standing in the club and the media who wet themselves with glee whenever there is an opportunity to rip into the Club or show a player in a bad light.

"

Only Taylor Hall, Alex Ovechkin, Nazem Kadri and Tyler Seguin have recorded more shots on net among all NHL forwards, and only Ovechkin has managed a higher shot rate in all situations. Though Vrbata is on pace to record well north of 300 shots on goal over 82 games, which would be a career high by a country mile, he’s also on pace to score fewer goals than he’s managed in a healthy season since 2007-08."

"On Saturday the veteran winger was moved off of Bo Horvat’s wing, and was dropped from the first power-play unit.

“It’s tough, but I think as a player you’ve got to find a way,” Desjardins told reporters of moving Vrbata off of the first power-play unit. “Everything isn’t always fair, eh? It’s hard. We just haven’t been good enough.

“I can certainly understand why he’d be frustrated that his game isn’t going the way he wants,” Desjardins later added, “and it’s hard for him when he gets moved around.”

5 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Or maybe it was the disappointment of a guy who sets himself high standards and wants to win and do well. I would much rather accept the coaches OFTEN REPEATED opinions/comments on Vbrata than some of the people on here.

It is great how if you are a pure idiot who hardly broke sweat on the ice, ambled about like a football player who had wandered into the wrong dressing room, continually took stupid penalties and ignored the advice of your coach and GM, you get treated like some kind of returning prodigal son but if you score 60+ points then have a nightmare season in a team having a nightmare season many of the games where you are required to babysit struggling youngsters, despite that not being "a game you are equipped for" you are suddenly a pariah.

Vbrata has a long career behind him and much of it spread over 2 clubs. Don't you think in that time if he had a reputation or even tendencies to be the type of player he is being made out to be here the management (who are into character guys) would have known about it.

I was not impressed by some of the things the Twins came out publicly with but I didn't assume it made them any less of a team player or had less loyalty to the Club.

Your post saddens me as it implies you have been influenced by people on here who don't have a clue about his standing in the club and the media who wet themselves with glee whenever there is an opportunity to rip into the Club or show a player in a bad light.

"

Only Taylor Hall, Alex Ovechkin, Nazem Kadri and Tyler Seguin have recorded more shots on net among all NHL forwards, and only Ovechkin has managed a higher shot rate in all situations. Though Vrbata is on pace to record well north of 300 shots on goal over 82 games, which would be a career high by a country mile, he’s also on pace to score fewer goals than he’s managed in a healthy season since 2007-08."

"On Saturday the veteran winger was moved off of Bo Horvat’s wing, and was dropped from the first power-play unit.

“It’s tough, but I think as a player you’ve got to find a way,” Desjardins told reporters of moving Vrbata off of the first power-play unit. “Everything isn’t always fair, eh? It’s hard. We just haven’t been good enough.

“I can certainly understand why he’d be frustrated that his game isn’t going the way he wants,” Desjardins later added, “and it’s hard for him when he gets moved around.”

Fair enough. I can concede that point you elected to focus on; perhaps my assessment of that quote was not correct and a little unfair. Still, this was ultimately meant to be a positive post and I believe it sufficiently communicated that I did not easily acquiesce when it came to others' opinions.

Vrbata had some pretty honest words with his departure about being utilized in ways that he didn't agree with.  He expected to be playing with the best players and not with the rookies.  The fact that he didn't like this along with the direction of the club seems to indicate the lack of compatibility going forward.  Also, the Canucks are looking for leadership skills, not guys who are going along for the ride.  So short answer, Vrbata has played his last day as a Canuck in my opinion.

Archived