The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sitcoms - (best of emotional moments)

nux4lyfe

39 minutes ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

Kami the AIDS Muppet.  The sad part is they decided to give her an African accent.

How do you see it as sad?  Considering how Africa has the vast majority of both HIV positive people in the world and AIDS-related deaths, I don't think it's sad at all that Kami had such an accent.  I don't see it as derogatory against Africans. That part of the world needs to the most support with that disease, and calling attention to that makes sense.

For the OP, here is one of my picks.  Love the music. There are a couple other Scrubs scenes that would count here, but I'll stick with this one.

26 minutes ago, Kragar said:

How do you see it as sad?  Considering how Africa has the vast majority of both HIV positive people in the world and AIDS-related deaths, I don't think it's sad at all that Kami had such an accent.  I don't see it as derogatory against Africans. That part of the world needs to the most support with that disease, and calling attention to that makes sense.

For the OP, here is one of my picks.  Love the music. There are a couple other Scrubs scenes that would count here, but I'll stick with this one.

Don't read too deep, I was looking for more emotion than the clip offered.  That said, it's for a young audience, an American accent could have made it hit home, and make it more real for them.  Whatever though, I wasn't really trying to make a statement...despite apparently making one.

Archived