The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vice ranks Canucks as having had the worst off-season.

Ratso

https://sports.vice.com/ca/article/which-nhl-team-had-the-best-offseason

30) Vancouver Canucks: Nothing says, "We are totally unaware of the fact that we should be rebuilding" like giving Loui Eriksson six years and $36 million. Why either party wanted to do this is beyond me. They traded Jared McCann for Erik Gudbranson because, again, who knows? Jacob Markstrom, who has appeared in 52 NHL games since 2013-14, was given a three-year, $11 million deal that starts in 2017-18. He had a .915 save percentage last season. Does the NHL drug test GMs? It should.

Yikes!

Seems a bit harsh.

Vice is a great news source. That said, I didn't know they had a sports section.

Once again, it goes without saying that no team should enter the season trying to tank. We might be in a semi-rebuild, but ignoring the free agency market or not locking up our youth would serve to hurt us more than pulling an Edmonton and giving up altogether. An NHL franchise should always attempt to at least be competitive, even when the season might not go that way. 

48 minutes ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

Vice isn't well known for sports coverage, I wouldn't get too caught up over this.  The Marky signing and Gudbranson trade are both positives.  They have a point about the Eriksson deal being too long though.  This is not worth any butthurt.

take a look at eriksson contract...they have outs if they want to move on from him...i think it was a good deal..screw these other interlopers....

lol whoever wrote this is a moron. and even though whoever it was will never read this I'm going to pick apart their words anyways. 

"Loui Eriksson six years and $36 million. Why either party wanted to do this is beyond me." 

Because the Canucks need more top 6 players and they got one without losing any assets..... as for the other party - he is friends with Larson, knows the Sedins and I'm assuming is excited to be a mentor for young players.

"They traded Jared McCann for Erik Gudbranson because, again, who knows?"

This one is the biggest LOL.. because we have 4 centers and lack of RH D.... this trade gives away an asset we don't need for a while for one that we need right away. Who knows? Use your damn brain and figure it out!

"Jacob Markstrom, who has appeared in 52 NHL games since 2013-14, was given a three-year, $11 million deal that starts in 2017-18. He had a .915 save percentage last season." 

And if he has a .925 save % next season his contract is a steal... It's called gambling on a player's potential and yeah some contracts like this don't work out but many do  (ex. Ellis 2.5M over 5 years).

Pretty sure whoever wrote this was fishing for a response just like this.. but still, what a horrible writer (edit: horrible researcher which in turn makes them a horrible writer)

3 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

lol whoever wrote this is a moron. and even though whoever it was will never read this I'm going to pick apart their words anyways. 

"Loui Eriksson six years and $36 million. Why either party wanted to do this is beyond me." 

Because they Canucks need more top 6 players and they got one without losing any assets..... as for the other party - he is friends with Larson, knows the Sedins and I'm assuming is excited to be a mentor for young players.

"They traded Jared McCann for Erik Gudbranson because, again, who knows?"

This one is the biggest LOL.. because we have 4 centers and lack of RH D.... this trade gives away an asset we don't need for a while for one that we need right away. Who knows? Use your damn brain and figure it out!

"Jacob Markstrom, who has appeared in 52 NHL games since 2013-14, was given a three-year, $11 million deal that starts in 2017-18. He had a .915 save percentage last season." 

And if he has a .925 save % next season his contract is a steal... It's called gambling on a player's potential and yeah some contracts like this don't work out but many do.

Pretty sure whoever wrote this was fishing for a response just like this.. but still, what a horrible writer!

He didnt sign his name so who knows who he is...he must be from Calgary though...because according to him the Flames are ready for the cup.

3 minutes ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

What is up with the obsession with scorched earth rebuilds? It's like the 'Nucks jersey allowed to be trash or cup contenders with nothing in between. 

Its because the leafs did one, so the message has to be put out that its a good thing. So, the Canadian media has to be positive about teams that are doing it, and negative to ones who aren't. 

8 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

He didnt sign his name so who knows who he is...he must be from Calgary though...because according to him the Flames are ready for the cup.

He did sign him name actually - Dave Lozo. It's funny because I assumed he reported about all sports but turns out it's hockey only... maybe Vice told him to just write a bunch of crap to get a rise out of fans and some publicity cause i dont see how a guy like this can still have a job otherwise 

We are a rebuilding team but after all NHL is a business. Canucks have to sell tickets and hope sells. LE got signed to make a push for the playoffs. 

I think our rebuild took a huge step forward with the draft this year. Juolevi is what we needed in the system. Now we need a future 1C next draft and we are on our way. 

Make no mistakes, we are several years away from contending. We are a playoff bubble team as it sits right now. We need more scoring and skill on this team to be considered a playoff team. It's no easy task getting those types of players. We'll be treading water for the next few years. 

Archived