The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Case of Luca Sbisa

AntiTank

18 hours ago, richado said:

If we enter the season with the defense as is, I feel like we'll see Larsen and Tryamkin rotate on that 6th spot. Sbisa is above Larsen on the depth chart, at least until we know what we've got with Larsen. Tryamkin is looking promising but he's probably going to need to sit out every now and then as he transitions his game to the NHL.

I agree it is wise and prudent to hold onto Sbisa until we know what we have with Larsen.   Sbisa is outstanding....  For a 6th defense man,  that is.   If he has value in a trade,  go for it....  Especially if Larsen can fill the role. 

As for Tryamkin: If he has improved his conditioning, I'd put him in full time if I'm WD.   Size and physical dominance are worth more than any minor shortcomings he may have due to lack of experience.  He has already stated it's the NHL or bust, so I'd rather not reduce his interest in being with our team. 

9 hours ago, xereau said:

Sbisa is trade bait at the moment.  Expensive, 5/6D trade bait to a good team.  A good fit for a team that needs to spend up to the cap that needs a 3/4D.  I don't expect more than a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him.  Maybe a low pick and a throw away prospect.

I don't see why people are so eager to get rid of him? A good number 5 Dman is valuable and should not be given away. I don't expect Taylor Hall, but if we move him it better not be for a 3rd round pick. 

10 hours ago, AntiTank said:

He got the job based on his physicality and net-front-clearing ability, not for say his offensive prowess etc. We got him to make our defense tougher.

Opinions!!!??

Well, with Gudbranson, Tryamkin, Pedan, and with Sbisa getting the job based on his physicality and net front clearing ability it makes our defense extra tougher. So I'd say keep Sbisa. 

10 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Am I missing something here? I saw great physicality from Tryamkin last year.I don't understand why there is so much doubt on his play. I don't see him as a 7-8 D man at all. His poke checks were awesome he hit like a ton of bricks he has a wicked slapshot. I think his upside puts him on the top 6 for sure ahead of Larsen. 

9 hours ago, Sean Avery said:

If Sbisa plays like $&!# in preseason, then they should trade him to a team with lots of cap space like Arizona, for anything really.

We know who the top 4 will be and I agree with Hairy that Tryamkin looks good so far and will certainly get a long look this year. I think Larsen will also get a good look but who knows how he will do.

As for Sbisa, there were rumors circulating that the Canucks were trying to trade him. The problem is that not many teams want to pay 3.6 million for a guy who is #6 or #7 on the depth chart. And there is were Sbisa would be on most teams, including the Canucks.

So Sean Avery is right. If the Canucks could get anything at all for Sbisa they would be fortunate.

So I think he probably stays on the Canucks and fights for a spot on 3rd pairing. But with Tryamkin, Pedan and Larsen also looking for a spot on the 3rd pairing he could spend a lot of time in the press box. 

11 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

Sbisa is our token Italian. He's not going anywhere unless we replace him with another Italian. Francesco already mentioned this...

Negrin could be used as a taxi squad guy until we at something worked out. Landon Ferrarro could have been a useful addition in this respect.

12 hours ago, Sean Avery said:

If Sbisa plays like $&!# in preseason, then they should trade him to a team with lots of cap space like Arizona, for anything really.

The problem with budget teams like Arizona is they typically look for guys that have a cap hit higher than the actual salary. Sbisa is the opposite, his actual salary is higher than his cap hit in the final season. His cap hit is $3.6m and actual salary is $3.6m and $4m. He'll have to prove he's worth the money to be traded. I don't think he's far off based on his play last season.

8 hours ago, guntrix said:

I don't think anyone can argue against Hutton, Tanev, Edler, Gudbranson being the top four. 

Which means that Sbisa is at least top six, maybe worse if he gets beaten to his spot by an underdog like Larsen or Pedan (assuming Tryamkin is on the right). 

He's simply too costly to be a depth defenceman. If there's one guy who just doesn't fit on this roster, it's him. It's easy to say that he's a good replacement defenceman but in a world where salary cap rules, he's far from ideal.

We have cap space, not much, bat can carry his salary. Deals will likely be available in a expansion draft season.  Teams are always looking to add a defender. Sbisa's value right now is low, but if we put him

into a position to succeed, he could become a better trade chip. 

He is an insurance policy, we need one this season.  Hutton could have the dreaded sophomore slump, Trymakin could have trouble with stamina over a full season and Larson is a complete question mark. 

EW. 

14 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Ya, but if one of the top 4 get's injured, who moves up?

A guy who's not costing us 3.6 mil to sit in the press box.

8 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

We have cap space, not much, bat can carry his salary. Deals will likely be available in a expansion draft season.  Teams are always looking to add a defender. Sbisa's value right now is low, but if we put him

into a position to succeed, he could become a better trade chip. 

He is an insurance policy, we need one this season.  Hutton could have the dreaded sophomore slump, Trymakin could have trouble with stamina over a full season and Larson is a complete question mark. 

EW. 

I get that he fits under our current cap but keeping that much $$$ tied up in ONE potentially 7/8 defenseman is the epitome of bad salary cap managing.

Yes, Hutton could have a sophomore slump. Henrik could also get injured. Eriksson could also have a career low season. These kinds of ifs are riddled throughout every team's roster. I don't think it justifies allocating so much money on an insurance policy. For what it's worth, the teams that will be heavily competitive this coming season probably won't have 3.6 mil tied up on an insurance D.

Just now, guntrix said:

Instead of the sassy eye roll, why not tell me how that statement is false? He only needs one player to beat him to the spot, thus the potentially. 

Potentially smolenshialleeee.....a #8.

You're trying too hard.  He's a #5 presently - as potentially a #4 as an 8, so spare us the drama.

19 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Seems pretty obvious to me.

Clearly Edler/Tanev is our #1 pairing and was established as so last season.

WD has already stated that he wants Hutton playing with Guddy. 

Tryamkin has shown promise for the sample size of games last year and didn't come here to be a spare. Larsen is unproven and unknown at this point. 

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Tryamkin - Sbisa 

Larsen

Pedan 

Biega would most likely clear waivers and be first call up from Utica. 

Although I do agree if anyone from the D-Corps would be used as trade bait it would definitely seem like Sbisa would be the best option. 

I had this defensive lineup exactly the same in another thread. Agree completely. I also agree that Biega likely clears waivers while Pedan would not. That kind of size and speed would be something teams would be willing to reach out and pluck IMO. 

Trading Sbisa at this point in the off-season would only make sense if he was part of a bigger trade package that was bringing in bonafide help on the forward corps.

Otherwise, it would be a better option to keep him in the corps. He has decent size, hits to hurt, and (most importantly) has some speed and skating ability that is clearly underrated.

The mistakes he made last year were based on him being played above his capability and pay grade. He was put in high pressure situations, and lacked the composure that top pairing defensemen possess. It's not as if he's some mental defective that couldn't process the game properly.

He was put in a position where he was being given minutes and defensive assignments he wasn't used to, and due to his lack of cumulative experience, he showed his limitations. As well, when he was brought in, he was tasked with being the pre-eminent physical force on the blueline, and the resident pugilist once Bieksa was traded. Sbsia is, by his own admission, not a fighter. He gave it a valiant effort, but ended up breaking his hand in a fight with Peluso last season.

This year he'll be much farther down the size and intimidation chart, as true behemoths in Tryamkin and Gudbranson will shoulder that weight, giving Sbisa more opportunity to utilize his more established skills. Hopefully Edler looks at Hamhuis' departure as him being called upon to lead the defense, and he grabs the opportunity. As well, as reverting back to being more physical as well.

Having massive talented players in Gudbranson and Tryamkin mixed with Sbisa maintaining his level of physical play (minus fisticuffs) and Edler upping his physical game, and the solid cerebral play and defined mobility from Tanev and Hutton, this defense could be a real pain and problem for any team to deal with.

A far more multifaceted defense than last year.

39 minutes ago, guntrix said:

I get that he fits under our current cap but keeping that much $$$ tied up in ONE potentially 7/8 defenseman is the epitome of bad salary cap managing.

Yes, Hutton could have a sophomore slump. Henrik could also get injured. Eriksson could also have a career low season. These kinds of ifs are riddled throughout every team's roster. I don't think it justifies allocating so much money on an insurance policy. For what it's worth, the teams that will be heavily competitive this coming season probably won't have 3.6 mil tied up on an insurance D.

I'm playing Devil's advocate. 

I said my piece earlier and stand by it mostly.  I don't think we disagree.

21 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

It's a tough call because we all know that Benning has high hopes for Larsen and at a $3.6 cap hit, does anybody see Sbisa out of the top 6?  As a bottom pairing D, Sbisa is perfectly fine (albeit over paid).

I would be happiest with:

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Tryamkin Larsen.........but that is a line up that has questions  like putting 3.6M in the press box and does Larsen even make the team?

The question for me is, who outside of the top 4 could fill in if there is an injury?  Which is why that for this coming season, Sbisa will make the top 6 and Tryamkin will also be in the picture but at 6/7.  We have no idea about Larsen as a top 4 fill in and the others don't cut it.

How the chips fall depends on how things go at camp and over the first number of games.  I've named 7 D so far and based on experience, I think Biega is the 8th which leaves Pedan on the outside looking in.  Do we want to waive Pedan?  I have a hard time with that too.

I could be persuaded to waive Biega because maybe Pedan has more future with this team.  He needs some developing at this level and only playing time will do that.

I think Sbisa's days are numbered.  Once we know what we have in Tryamkin, Larsen and Pedan, his grit will no longer be necessary.  The guy with the salary that is too high for his playing level will find himself traded or left exposed in the expansion draft.

54 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Well, it's not my money. I do agre that the club could use the resources better elsewhere but a dance partner would be needed.  I imagine that Sbisa will be on a very short leash. JB has shown that he is more than willing to cut ties with players. 

Training camp will be very interesting this year. 

EW 

1 hour ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Well, it's not my money. I do agre that the club could use the resources better elsewhere but a dance partner would be needed.  I imagine that Sbisa will be on a very short leash. JB has shown that he is more than willing to cut ties with players. 

Training camp will be very interesting this year. 

EW 

He's going to miss the start of camp so it's not ideal for him as his spot in the lineup is not quite secure.  

The World Cup should get him more exposure - so if he shows well, he could up his trade value. 

10 hours ago, oldnews said:

Potentially smolenshialleeee.....a #8.

You're trying too hard.  He's a #5 presently - as potentially a #4 as an 8, so spare us the drama.

If there's one thing Sbisa has proven is that he's not top 4 material... at least not on a team that strives to actually be competitive.

47 minutes ago, guntrix said:

If there's one thing Sbisa has proven is that he's not top 4 material... at least not on a team that strives to actually be competitive.

Meh.  Who cares?

You're living in the past - and can't tell the future.

And he's a #5 here anyhow, so the point is moot.   What he's 'proven' is that he's not a 7/8.  

Archived