The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Case of Luca Sbisa

AntiTank

Sbisa could up his value by playing most of the season. However, the Canucks would run the risk of losing one or two good defenders through waivers. I would rather see Sbisa get traded now for a low round pick with no salary retained. That way the Canucks can deploy a 3-man rotation (Tryamkin, Larsen, Pedan) for the 3rd pairing. 

Sedin Sedin Eriksson
Baertschi Horvat Hansen
Rodin Sutter Etem

Burrows Granlund Dorsett
Spare: Grenier/Gaunce/Virtanen (given there is almost always one forward injured, likely see 2/3. I think Virtanen would benefit from playing in Utica. Grenier needs to clear waivers, I would like to see him stay-up out of the three for a 20-game audition if his camp is solid).  

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Gudbranson
Sbisa - Tryamkin
Spares: Pedan, Larsen

Waivers: Biega (likely clears) 

Pedan may also play a dozen or so games on the 4th line over the season. 

11 hours ago, oldnews said:

Meh.  Who cares?

You're living in the past - and can't tell the future.

And he's a #5 here anyhow, so the point is moot.   What he's 'proven' is that he's not a 7/8.  

The past is imperative when it comes to projecting which players start where. The point is that Sbisa is only getting into the top four through an injury. Definitely not based on merit.

Meanwhile, he can be bumped down if Larsen comes as good as advertised. I don't think Larsen would've come all the way from Europe if JB hadn't promised him a shot at a regular spot. 

14 minutes ago, guntrix said:

The past is imperative when it comes to projecting which players start where. The point is that Sbisa is only getting into the top four through an injury. Definitely not based on merit.

Meanwhile, he can be bumped down if Larsen comes as good as advertised. I don't think Larsen would've come all the way from Europe if JB hadn't promised him a shot at a regular spot. 

Nope, that wasn't your point at all (your point was to suggest he's a potential 7/8) - and we don't need him to step into the top 4 - we just need him to be a solid #5.

If two guys (Tryamkin and Larsen) came in and leapfrog him then that is a best, not worst case scenario.  If that happens this team will have a serious "crisis" of depth on their blueline that bodes extremely well - and regardless, this team has virtually never had a healthy top 6 go without injury for much time.

His cap hit is not a problem - that's the benefit of having players like Hutton, Tryamkin, Larsen, Horvat, Granlund, Etem, Gaunce, Baertschi etc in your lineup - the flexibility you gain from having a handful of ELCs/RFAs gives you the ability to carry an Alex Burrows and/or have a #5 like Sbisa.

None of this is drama material - it's a sign of a team that has depth it hasn't had in some time.

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Nope, that wasn't your point at all (your point was to suggest he's a potential 7/8) - and we don't need him to step into the top 4 - we just need him to be a solid #5.

If two guys (Tryamkin and Larsen) came in and leapfrog him then that is a best, not worst case scenario.  If that happens this team will have a serious "crisis" of depth on their blueline that bodes extremely well - and regardless, this team has virtually never had a healthy top 6 go without injury for much time.

His cap hit is not a problem - that's the benefit of having players like Hutton, Tryamkin, Larsen, Horvat, Granlund, Etem, Gaunce, Baertschi etc in your lineup - the flexibility you gain from having a handful of ELCs/RFAs gives you the ability to carry an Alex Burrows and/or have a #5 like Sbisa.

None of this is drama material - it's a sign of a team that has depth it hasn't had in some time.

Agreed depth is good. 

No one has outplayed Sbisa yet... so he keeps his 5 spot.

Who know ... Sbisa was a  top draft choice with a high ceiling... He can keep improving.  He is young enough and tough enough to improve......

I love how posters speculate about guys that are new to organization and totally  unproven  and how they can be upgrades...

Don't kid yourself  Sbiisa is a pro  with lots of games played.  Lots of skill and tough. 

11 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Right on, oldnews.

Posters whining about the loss of players like Shinkaruk or Corrado better get used to it.

The Canucks have a number of players competing at all positions, including Utica positions, and a much improved prospect base.

We are going to lose some of these players.

We are going to lose some of these players for less than desired compensation.

The stronger the push from below, the more players fans like are going to be lost.

It's a good thing. 

It means we are becoming a contender.

9 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Right on, oldnews.

Posters whining about the loss of players like Shinkaruk or Corrado better get used to it.

The Canucks have a number of players competing at all positions, including Utica positions, and a much improved prospect base.

The stronger the push from below, the more players fans like are going to be lost.

It's a good thing. 

I think the secret is to know which vets we need to move and when  so we don't lose a highly rated  / future quality younger player....

Losing a future  bottom 6 forward or 5/6 future D man may happen as our club gets stronger. 

10 hours ago, Daver Triemstra said:

Sbisa could up his value by playing most of the season. However, the Canucks would run the risk of losing one or two good defenders through waivers. I would rather see Sbisa get traded now for a low round pick with no salary retained. That way the Canucks can deploy a 3-man rotation (Tryamkin, Larsen, Pedan) for the 3rd pairing. 

Those three can easily rotate through the #6 spot, if Sbisa is the #5, and we carry 8 D. And, as others have noted, it's a virtual guarantee our top-8 defenders don't stay healthy. The question is how many injuries and how long guys are out (and how quickly the injury bug hits--sometimes even before the season opens guys start getting hurt in camp/preseason).

We need 492 man games played (on ice) to finish the season on D and as much as another 164 in the press box. That's roughly 9 defensemen if we average 70 games (healthy) per Dman. 11 defensemen if we average 60 games per Dman. 

Depth is necessary. We have plenty of evidence for this over this team's history.

The players with waiver risk, given the current top-8, are guys like Biega, Billins, and Nilsson. Depth/Utica guys that you'd like to keep in the system but who are fairly easily replaced, if lost to waivers.

7 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Sedin Sedin Eriksson
Baertschi Horvat Hansen
Rodin Sutter Etem

Burrows Granlund Dorsett
Spare: Grenier/Gaunce/Virtanen (given there is almost always one forward injured, likely see 2/3. I think Virtanen would benefit from playing in Utica. Grenier needs to clear waivers, I would like to see him stay-up out of the three for a 20-game audition if his camp is solid).  

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Gudbranson
Sbisa - Tryamkin
Spares: Pedan, Larsen

Waivers: Biega (likely clears) 

Pedan may also play a dozen or so games on the 4th line over the season. 

Would switch Rodin and Etem, Could see Horvat on the third line (semantics). This is how I also think the line shakes down this year. 

Unless JB pulls another deal, no

way to know until it happens. 

6 hours ago, oldnews said:

Yes, that was my initial point. And while his cap isn't an issue at the current moment, if rumours about JB shopping for a big top 6 power forward are true then his cap hit can/will also be an issue too in the near future. Even if Dim Jim never manages to get his desired top 6 guy, Sbisa's cap hit will eventually become an issue for the role he's slated in. I know it; you know it; CDC knows it.

Depth is great until you realize that you're allocating too much salary cap into the wrong players/places.

5 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

Right on, oldnews.

It's a good thing. 

We have to be the only fan base stupid enough to think that the Shinkaruk trade puts us closer to becoming a contender. Even though Shink is unproven, I'd rather have a young scoring prospect who's experiencing success in the AHL over a fringe AHLer who's not only mediocre in all aspects but is also statistically declining ever since his grand 18 point season.

But hey, Granlund fills the age gap so we good. 

7 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Those three can easily rotate through the #6 spot, if Sbisa is the #5, and we carry 8 D. And, as others have noted, it's a virtual guarantee our top-8 defenders don't stay healthy. The question is how many injuries and how long guys are out (and how quickly the injury bug hits--sometimes even before the season opens guys start getting hurt in camp/preseason).

We need 492 man games played (on ice) to finish the season on D and as much as another 164 in the press box. That's roughly 9 defensemen if we average 70 games (healthy) per Dman. 11 defensemen if we average 60 games per Dman. 

Depth is necessary. We have plenty of evidence for this over this team's history.

The players with waiver risk, given the current top-8, are guys like Biega, Billins, and Nilsson. Depth/Utica guys that you'd like to keep in the system but who are fairly easily replaced, if lost to waivers.

Fair enough. I understand your point. It makes a lot of sense. But at the same time...Sbisa costs too much and can be easily replaced by a different defender (young or old) on a salary of only around 1.5million or less. There has to be a cheap 5/6 defender out there on the market still.

15 minutes ago, Daver Triemstra said:

Fair enough. I understand your point. It makes a lot of sense. But at the same time...Sbisa costs too much and can be easily replaced by a different defender (young or old) on a salary of only around 1.5million or less. There has to be a cheap 5/6 defender out there on the market still.

I would move Sbisa if we could pick up Russell.  I would have moved Sbisa if we could have kept Hamhuis?

As is there is not much reason to do anything.  Make use of what we do have!

4 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Would switch Rodin and Etem, Could see Horvat on the third line (semantics). This is how I also think the line shakes down this year. 

Unless JB pulls another deal, no

way to know until it happens. 

I could also see:
Burrows Sutter Hansen (shutdown line)
Baertschi Horvat Etem
Rodin Granlund Dorsett (maybe swap Etem and Rodin if Rodin outplays Etem). 

I just really hope Baer and Bo are together. That combination was one of the only bright spots last season. 

I thought Larsen was on a one way contract?  Wouldn't this mean he has to stay up with the big club or risk getting picked up on waivers?  I could be completely wrong as I'm not 100% sure how those things work but that was the impression I got - that he'd be playing this season.

Sbisa's getting paid far too much to not play. So guess what man, he's playing...lol

It's weird how everyone hates on him when the entire team underperformed last year(thus the 5th overall pick). Larsen also shouldn't be 'auto-penciled in' before he's even played a game for us. He could very much turn out to be a Lukas Krejicek... =\

Archived