The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Penning A Love Letter To Gord & The Hip - Bob McKenzie

-DLC-

1 hour ago, Jimayo said:

Ah no, not don't watch the show.  Don't look at them as they enter the building.  Don't look at them when they are walking around before the show, don't look at them as they enter and exit the dressing room.

Not buying it, sorry.

10 hours ago, elvis15 said:

So glad I got to go to the first Vancouver concert. Soundtrack of many of our lives.

Drive-in's rained out
Weatherman wet-fingers the sky
He pokes it out, he pulls it in
He don't know why
It's the same mistake

It's been a long time running
It's been a long time running
It's well worth the wait

Another lyric from the same song seems fitting:

You've got a boat-load of nerve
But I would say you've been told
You work me against my friends
And you'll get left out in the cold

My friend and I showed up Sunday.  So emotional.  Ready to go.  First in line.

She'd bought tickets from a guy in Ontario (I was leery)....said his wife was pregnant and he'd bought tickets to several shows across Canada to make sure he saw them.  Didn't need these ones.  "Marco".  Yeah, sure I thought.

The doors opened....we anxiously and excitedly approached to go in.  Then scan, STOP!  Sorry, tickets are no good!!  I was devastated, but had a plan B in tickets for Tuesday on reserve.  Still stung....being there, but turned away. 

As my friend lined up at the "GOT PROBLEMS WITH YOUR TICKETS?" window, I stood off to the side.  Then...."ah, J....did you even LOOK at the tickets when you printed them?".  She hadn't.  They were for Tuesday's show.   So now I had two tickets for Tuesday.

We bought our T-shirts and left.  It was heart wrenching...I SO wanted to be at that show.   The drive home was awful.

Lager Hog (Captain Bob) and his girlfriend were there, lined up outside beside us as we were turned away.  They went in and he updated with a video of Twist My Arm.  It was like a knife in the heart as I watched it on FB from home.

I love Long Time Running...one of my favourites.  So sad I missed it.

But Tuesday was a helluva deal.  Fiddler's Green?!!??   Seriously, I lost it.  Only damn problem was when I went to dab my eyes with Kleenex, they started to burn.  Thought it was the tears...who puts Menthol in Kleenex?!  Bad idea.

We sent Marco a thank you text and a pic of us at the show.  He was legit...one of the good guys.  Sold them to us at face value because he wanted true Hip fans to have them (his words).

I am a wreck over this whole announcement.  I watched my Mom slip away of terminal brain cancer and feel nothing but love and support for Gord as he embarks on this journey.  I wouldn't have missed this for the world.  And am pulling for them...checking set lists and updates from every show.  I love this band like they are family.  Damn, it's tough.

(It's well worth the wait)

I've had some instances where people have rubbed me the wrong way and ive had a negative opinion about them.

While others praise them and praised them even more after their passing. 

I can see where Jimayo is coming from. Let's not forget we're all entitled to our own opinons and his is just different from the majority of yours.

Personally I think it creates for some interesting conversation and is a reminder that no one is perfect.

6 hours ago, Jimayo said:

You can choose to disbelieve reality all you want.  It won't change it at all.

Good for you to stand your ground against bullies. They love virtue signaling about how tolerant they are, but the minute you make a comment they don't like, there's a barrage of insults and hate coming your way. 

I don't know if what you are saying is accurate or not, but I don't feel the need to insult you or demand you be removed just for an opinion.

58 minutes ago, Mustapha said:

Good for you to stand your ground against bullies. They love virtue signaling about how tolerant they are, but the minute you make a comment they don't like, there's a barrage of insults and hate coming your way. 

I don't know if what you are saying is accurate or not, but I don't feel the need to insult you or demand you be removed just for an opinion.

how is deb bullying him lmao

12 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

But Tuesday was a helluva deal.  Fiddler's Green?!!??  

They played Fiddler's Green eh? Damn, been wanting to hear that in concert for years now and no luck. I know they'd been playing it once in a while in recent years but still never lucked out to hear it myself.

Glad you got to enjoy it live. I'll live vicariously....

I can't fault the Sunday playlist, but no Long Time Running unfortunately. They'd played it in Victoria already so I only had a small hope they'd play it Sunday and they went with a different playlist (as they've been doing at each show). My favourite song of their's but the show was still epic.

Not hating here but my friend went to one of the shows and he said it was louder than any Canuck game.  I told him that's not saying much haha.  Glad they all had a good time, heard it was a helluva show!

Love old Hip, but not really into anything they've done since the mid-90s. It is sad that Gord has been dealt these cards, like millions of others have as well, but he's the lead singer of one of Canada's greatest bands, so it makes the news. Love that they're doing an all-Canadian tour, but saddened that some people have taken advantage of that by buying up all the tickets and scalping. What would've been truly great though, is if the Hip performed free outdoor concerts across Canada - entry by food donation, to feed the homeless. This should be a "thank you Canada, we're giving back" tour.

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Not hating here but my friend went to one of the shows and he said it was louder than any Canuck game.  I told him that's not saying much haha.  Glad they all had a good time, heard it was a helluva show!

Any concert is louder than a Canucks game.

Checked out that setlist, they didn't play Fifty Mission Cap? That's one of their best songs.

13 hours ago, Mustapha said:

Whatever the case, this isn't the time/place.  Gord is terminal and this is a tribute...

7 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Whatever the case, this isn't the time/place.  Gord is terminal and this is a tribute...

Not all of us are into hero worship. 

I personally don't care either way, but I will speak up when I see nasty replies.

19 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

how is deb bullying him lmao

I'm sorry, did I mention deb by name? 

Nope. But one special snowflake on this board thought it was apt to state that a person's life is meaningless and of no consequence,  which is quite hateful to the extreme.

Saw them again last night in Calgary after seeing them in Edmonton a few nights ago. Another great concert to be sure. The set lists were slightly different so I got to hear a wider range of songs (yay). 

Been a a fan of theirs for a long time but never seen them live - figured there would be plenty of time to get around to it ☹️. 

So so glad I got the opportunity to see them and was able to take my daughter. She wasn't really familiar with their music but she really enjoyed them. I think The Hip might be one of those bands that the younger kids will "discover" as they get into their later teens so it was special (to me, anyway) that she was able to see them live. 

@Jimayo, it really is too bad that your experience with them was so negative, but I do agree with others that your first post was in poor taste considering the nature of the topic. I think if you had simply stated your opinion and experience (like you did in your subsequent posts) the others in this forum would have found that more palatable. 

Just my $0.02 of course. 

9 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Just delete the offending posts IMO. At best it's trolling, off topic and/or lacking substance.

Also, always remember Mark Twain's famous argument quote ;)  

Archived