The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Penning A Love Letter To Gord & The Hip - Bob McKenzie

-DLC-

• 2 weeks later...
On August 3, 2016 at 11:27 AM, J.R. said:

They played Fiddler's Green eh? Damn, been wanting to hear that in concert for years now and no luck. I know they'd been playing it once in a while in recent years but still never lucked out to hear it myself.

Glad you got to enjoy it live. I'll live vicariously....

You know the final on Saturday is being broadcast live on CBC and CBC's YouTube channel, right? 

On August 2, 2016 at 8:54 PM, Jimayo said:

Ah no, not don't watch the show.  Don't look at them as they enter the building.  Don't look at them when they are walking around before the show, don't look at them as they enter and exit the dressing room.

Were those instructions from the band? Or your employer? That just seems so far out of character for TTH to come down so heavy as that. I encountered them whilst working at WOMAD in Redmond in '98 as they prepared for an interview and had quite the opposite experience. 

I I think the general consensus is that they're the well-earned face for Nice Guys In Rock. But, if your experience ran counter to that...

6 hours ago, Fakename70 said:

Were those instructions from the band? Or your employer? That just seems so far out of character for TTH to come down so heavy as that. I encountered them whilst working at WOMAD in Redmond in '98 as they prepared for an interview and had quite the opposite experience. 

I I think the general consensus is that they're the well-earned face for Nice Guys In Rock. But, if your experience ran counter to that...

From my boss, but not his instructions(he was very apologetic that we were being humiliated like that).

2 minutes ago, Jimayo said:

From my boss, but not his instructions(he was very apologetic that we were being humiliated like that).

So how, then, do you know it wasn't your boss' way of maintaining a level of professionalism?  That he was just making sure of that?  Because there are some who would get a little starstruck.

For, these being his words (not theirs), you can't really pin it on them with certainty or with such a bold statement like they were rude.  Its a little different that he told you this and that it wasn't them telling you this....

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

Yup. Still not the same as seeing it live, in person. 

True. But, unless you've already got your ticket...

Way back in the year of our Lord and Saviour 1982, you'll recall - I'm assuming you're old enough to remember this - The Who's "farewell tour", no? The final date was at MLG, but it was also broadcast live on CCTV all over North America. PPV, too, I think. I caught it at the Paramount Theatre in Seattle, and, for me - I was 12 at the time - it really was just like being there. For those, such as yourself, who possibly loathe the idea of watching it on the small screen or a computer monitor (or smartphone, like yours truly), it'd be nice if there were a CCTV option such as what The Who offered in '82. Maybe even make it a benefit for a local charity of some form in each city showing it. 

And I will add that my cousin (head of ICM for a time) HAD to relay that to people in relation to stars because it starts with a look.  Then a wave.  Then a "can you sign this?".  Then you have "security" distracted and, by way of that, inefficient at their jobs.  Leaving opportunity for something to happen.  It takes a special kind of person to "get" that and BE able to accept the "don't look at" rule.  It's for a reason, not out of vanity or arrogance.

You're in place to do a job and be watching others, NOT the band.  So this comment:

Ah no, not don't watch the show.  Don't look at them as they enter the building.  Don't look at them when they are walking around before the show, don't look at them as they enter and exit the dressing room.

...didn't come "from" the band, but your boss?

So it doesn't come from a place of rudeness, more, an expectation of sorts.  Perfectly reasonable. 

7 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

So how, then, do you know it wasn't your boss' way of maintaining a level of professionalism?  That he was just making sure of that?  Because there are some who would get a little starstruck.

Yes, to keep their employees professional they told them they had to AVERT THEIR EYES from the band at all times.

You are reaching.

And I didn't even tell you guys everything that happened that gave me a low opinion of them.  That was just one thing.

3 minutes ago, Jimayo said:

Yes, to keep their employees professional they told them they had to AVERT THEIR EYES from the band at all times.

You are reaching.

And I didn't even tell you guys everything that happened that gave me a low opinion of them.  That was just one thing.

Well the band won't likely attack anyone/themselves?  So yeah, you're likely there to watch the activity/crowd surrounding the band.

And don't bother...this isn't the time/place.  Really inappropriate...the guy is dying?  Picked a bad time for this....

Awful, show some compassion?

5 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Well the band won't likely attack anyone/themselves?  So yeah, you're likely there to watch the activity/crowd surrounding the band.

And don't bother...this isn't the time/place.  Really inappropriate...the guy is dying?  Picked a bad time for this....

Awful, show some compassion?

Uh no, we get stationed everywhere.  In the back, by the dressing room, backstage.

And no, it doesn't work that way.  Would you show compassion for hitler(no, I'm not saying they are hitler, it's hyperbole to make a point).  Dying doesn't change anything you've done, and I see no reason to pretend someone was a good person if they weren't.  I don't know them that well but they certainly left a bad taste in my mouth when I had to put up with some prima donna bull$&!#.

With all due respect, who really cares about whether or not The Tragically Hip were, or are, assholes? I bet 95% of everyones favourite bands/musicians are jerks. I also know that the majority of most bands do not write their own riders and tour "needs" - it's management who does that. I doubt many bands/artists even read them. 

If Jimayo's experience is legit (and I have no reason to doubt it), I bet it's an anomaly, because you cannot find a single website out there with people calling out the band for being needy assholes. But you can find boatloads that state the opposite. And these are guys who have been touring around Canada for many years - and what is Canada if not a home to many, many, many people who demand modesty and reject any airs of artistry? If these guys were scummy, it would have been "a thing" long ago.

Archived