The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Penning A Love Letter To Gord & The Hip - Bob McKenzie

-DLC-

52 minutes ago, Fakename70 said:

He did seem rather slowed, but, keep in mind that could be the residual effect from pre-tour chemotherapy. 

And, he used a TelePrompTer, which is no big deal. Even Axl uses one now, I think. 

Regardless, just the fact that Downie was able to complete this tour, to me, put a lot of less-active musicians to shame. Thinking particularly of TOOL. 10 years since the last album. No Rick Allen-type loss-of-limb car accidents, no lead-singer-diagnosed-with-terminal-cancer angle, and no deaths in the band, either. Yet, no new music since 2006. Not even 1 song. Meanwhile, The Hip managed 3 ALBUMS in that span. Just saying. 

Tool was mired in an 8 year lawsuit with their insurance company. That's not very fun for the creative process. The same thing happened between Aenima & Lateralus, lawsuits. Tool doesn't release new music when they're getting sued. Not many bands do.

I have a live Hip CD in my car (that's been the only thing I've played for 3 months now) ... Gord messing up the lyrics isn't something new.

As he does on the CD, he freestyles and wings it...zeroes back in, but often loses entire lines from songs before he does.  On the version of Nautical Disaster I have, he misses the entire "the selection was quick" part".  He kicks it back in for the crew was picked.   And he totally messes around with Blow At High Dough. 

So I'm not overly concerned that this is a sign.  It's Gord.  Love him.

Any news on the ratings? It has to be huge. As I said earlier it would be cool for the CBC to find venues like Orpheum, and other's like it across Canada. Have small and joyful crowds and live events once a week. Give our musicians a spotlight every week, or at least once a month? 

Nice to watch something on TV that had no ad's as well. 

2 hours ago, Fakename70 said:

He did seem rather slowed, but, keep in mind that could be the residual effect from pre-tour chemotherapy. 

And, he used a TelePrompTer, which is no big deal. Even Axl uses one now, I think. 

Regardless, just the fact that Downie was able to complete this tour, to me, put a lot of less-active musicians to shame. Thinking particularly of TOOL. 10 years since the last album. No Rick Allen-type loss-of-limb car accidents, no lead-singer-diagnosed-with-terminal-cancer angle, and no deaths in the band, either. Yet, no new music since 2006. Not even 1 song. Meanwhile, The Hip managed 3 ALBUMS in that span. Just saying. 

To be fair... the principal songwriter from Tool did release three albums in that period too. Just with his other project/band. 

On 8/20/2016 at 8:08 PM, nuckin_futz said:

I suspect Gord is in rougher shape than they are letting on. He messed up some lyrics in "Scared" and keeps looking down in front of him. I suspect there is an Ipad down there with lyrics scrolling on it. Kind of like the guy in Spirit of the West used for their last gigs.

Kudos for gutting it out.

On 8/20/2016 at 8:47 PM, GLASSJAW said:

eh, don't be so morbid. musicians forget lyrics all the time - and i would be surprised if many musicians do 3 hour performances without hidden teleprompters. 

that said, i do agree he's probably in rough-ish shape. he's only 52, but was moving around like a much older man i thought.

21 hours ago, Fakename70 said:

Was going to say the same. It's unclear what (if any) treatments he's still getting but I speak from first hand experience that chemo can and will do a real number on you both physically and mentally.

'Chemo-brain' is a very real side effect of the treatment. Think of walking around for days and weeks with a really BAD hangover. Your memory and concentration suffer, you're in a fog, your tired. It's not a lot of fun.

That said, as @debluvscanucks pointed out, Gord's always been a bit 'loose' with his lyrics ;)

As for me, I've recorded it but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. Too busy this weekend. Hopefully tonight, I'll know to have the Kleenex box ready.

On 8/20/2016 at 10:12 AM, debluvscanucks said:

I stand by the "not the time or place" but I've never heard/read/seen anything but absolutely positive things about this band. 

Nope Deb, total a-holes...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-bay/gord-downie-visits-north-1.3733541

Catherine Cheechoo tweeted a picture of her standing with Downie, and said  "& then this happened :o Much luv n thanks #GordDownie U r truly a kind soul."

gord-downie-visits-the-north.PNG

Notice how none of them are looking him in the eye! Clearly they were commanded not to by 'Lord Gordie'!

On 8/20/2016 at 7:25 PM, nuckin_futz said:

What is wrong with the mix? Gord is turned up loud as are the drums. The guitars are way low.

Guess I shouldn't have expected much more from CBC.

Yeah, all three guitars were low. Hopefully whoever does the mixing for the likely eventual Bluray cleans that up.

idk where to put this, but

http://www.cbcmusic.ca/posts/12625/all-17-tragically-hip-albums-land-on-canadian-bill

All 17 Tragically Hip albums land on Canadian Billboard chart

Following the end of the Tragically Hip's highly celebrated Canadian tour, with the final show broadcasted live on CBC and CBC Music on Aug. 20 to 11.7 million viewers, all 17 albums by the band have landed on the Canadian Billboard chart.

Beginning with the Hip's debut EP to its latest album, Man Machine Poem, each album has placed on the Canadian Albums chart, including 2005's Yer Favourites, which is currently at number 1, beating out R&B star Frank Ocean's newest album, Blonde. Last week,Yer Favourites charted at number 2, and according to CBC News, "saw its total consumption rise 238 per cent." 

Rounding out the top 10 are Man Machine Poem (number 6), 1992'sFully Completely (number 8) and 1989's Up To Here ( number 9). Even live concert recordings charted.

Billboard's Canadian Albums chart is decided by a combination of album sales, digital song sales and audio on-demand streams. CBC News also reports that the Tragically Hip's album sales have risen 157 per cent from the previous week, and digital song sales have gone up 342 per cent, while online streams are up 185 per cent.

8 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

idk where to put this, but

http://www.cbcmusic.ca/posts/12625/all-17-tragically-hip-albums-land-on-canadian-bill

All 17 Tragically Hip albums land on Canadian Billboard chart

Interestingly, I haven't heard a single person mention anything hip related since about two days after the show. Maybe even one.

i think people have moved on to "the bachelor" or "the bachelorette", whichever one is on. I would t know.

Archived