Forward Brock Boeser, goalie Thatcher Demko need more seasoning

by Kevin Woodley / NHL.com Correspondent
August 2nd, 2016
  • Facebook Share
  • Twitter Share
  • Google Plus Share
  • Link Share
cut.jpg

NHL.com is providing in-depth prospect analysis for each of its 30 teams throughout August. Today, the Vancouver Canucks.

Few would argue that the Vancouver Canucks prospect pool is deeper since Jim Benning took over as general manager before the 2014 NHL Draft.

Despite trading 11 draft picks since taking the job, Benning is excited about the depth in Vancouver's system. He also takes issue with claims it lacks high-end talent, pointing to defenseman Olli Juolevi, forward Brock Boeser and goalie Thatcher Demko.

"Right there we have potentially a No.1 goalie, a top-pairing defenseman and a top-six scoring winger, so I am excited about our group of prospects," Benning said.

Canucks 30 in 30: Season outlook | Fantasy outlook | Burning questions, reasons for optimism

Here are the Canucks' top five prospects, according to NHL.com:

1. Brock Boeser, RW

How acquired: Selected with No. 23 pick of 2015 NHL Draft

Last season: University of North Dakota (NCAA): 42 GP, 27-33-60

After helping North Dakota win the NCAA championship as a freshman last season, the sides agree another season of college hockey will allow Boeser, 19, to continue developing his 6-foot-1, 191-pound frame while adding a leadership role.

"Offensively he's got great vision, he goes to the gray areas to score, and when he gets to those areas he's got that snap shot, that quick release that surprises a lot of goalies," Canucks director of player development Stan Smyl said. "Of course, at the next level everyone is a little better and you have to get it away a little quicker. It gets a little tougher, a little faster, a little stronger. There are still steps, but he'll figure it out."

Projected NHL arrival: Next season

cut.jpeg

Boeser and Stecher get mic'd up

Brock Boeser and Troy Stecher get mic'd up

• 03:37 • July 18th, 2016

2. Thatcher Demko, G

How acquired: Selected with No. 36 pick of 2014 NHL Draft

Last season: Boston College (NCAA): 39 GP, 27-8-4, 1.88 GAA, .935 save percentage

Demko, 20, changed his goaltending style after hip surgery last summer and the results of his improved mobility were impressive. He helped Boston College reach the NCAA Frozen Four and was named the top goalie in college hockey, but the Canucks will be careful not to rush their athletic 6-foot-4, 210-pound prospect, pointing to the three or more years that Cory Schneider, Eddie Lack and Jacob Markstrom each spent in the American Hockey League.

"Everybody gets excited and obviously we do too," Canucks goaltending coach Dan Cloutier said. "He's a big goaltender that competes and battles, but at the same time it takes goalies time to take it to next level and Thatcher is no different."

Projected NHL arrival: 2018-19

3. Olli Juolevi, D

How acquired: Selected with No. 5 pick of 2016 NHL Draft

Last season: London (OHL): 57 GP, 9-33-42

Smyl praised the 6-foot-2, 182-pound left-handed defenseman for his playmaking and poise while standing out at his first development camp. Juolevi talked about making the NHL as an 18-year-old, but Vancouver will be patient with the skilled native of Finland.

"I feel he can be a top-pairing defenseman," Benning said. "He's so smart and he plays with poise and he reads the play so well that I just feel we have to be patient with him and develop him properly, but I feel he's a blue-chip prospect."

Projected NHL arrival: 2018-19

cut.jpeg

NHL Tonight: Prospect Camp

Vancouver Canucks prospect camp

• 03:40 • July 6th, 2016

4. Nikita Tryamkin, D

How acquired: Selected with No. 66 pick of 2014 NHL Draft

Last season: Canucks: 13 GP, 1-1-2; Yekaterinburg (KHL): 53 GP, 4-7-11

Despite four seasons in the Kontinental Hockey League before coming to North America in March, Tryamkin doesn't turn 22 until Aug. 30. A contract clause that lets him return to Russia rather than going to the American Hockey League improves his odds of sticking this season, even as the seventh defenseman, but there were signs during his 13-game introduction to the NHL that he's ready.

"For being such a big man at 6-foot-7, 265 (pounds), his mobility and coordination is excellent," Benning said. "His reach defensively and to know when to put his stick in there to break up plays defensively was really good, and over the course of the 13 games he played, he just seemed to get better as he got more confidence."

Projected NHL arrival: This season

5. Anton Rodin, RW

How acquired: Selected with No. 53 pick of 2009 NHL Draft

Last season: Brynas (SHL): 33 GP, 16-21-37

Rodin, 25 (6-foot, 185) , went back to his native Sweden in 2013 after two unsuccessful seasons in the AHL, but in the three years since, he has emerged as a top-six scorer. He was leading the SHL with 37 points in 33 games before a skate cut that severed tendons above his knee ended his season in mid-January, but he was named league MVP.

"He always had the hands and the skill, but in gaining strength his game progressed to where he played in the hard areas of the ice too," Benning said.

Projected NHL arrival: This season

cut.jpeg

The rest of the article    https://www.nhl.com/news/vancouver-canucks-season-preview-2016-17/c-281267996?tid=281244176

Nothing we already didn't know about these assets. 

Just because it's NHL.com doesn't mean they have vastly greater insights into teams prospects. 

But it's the middle of summer and it's something to read,  so thanks for posting. 

I really wish we could get a firm confirmation on Tryamkin's height and weight. I know he's big, but if he truly is 265 at 21 years old, the kid is going to be an absolute mammoth on the blue line for years to come. Freakishly strong already, and most likely to get stronger... Wouldn't want to be Johnny G going into a corner with him. 

3 minutes ago, Incursio said:

I didn't realize that GMJB has traded 11 picks away. 

A little bit deceiving because we did get picks back in alot of those deals.

He also acquired two 2nds and a 3rd in the Garrison, Bieksa, and Lack trades.

So excited for Boeser to join the team next year. Also going to be fun to watch Gudbranson and Tryamkin defend this season. Rodin really is a question mark. Skilled and played very well in Sweden, but we'll see. Wouldn't that be fantastic if he lit it up and provided much needed scoring.

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

Nothing we already didn't know about these assets. 

Just because it's NHL.com doesn't mean they have vastly greater insights into teams prospects. 

But it's the middle of summer and it's something to read,  so thanks for posting. 

That's fine and dandy, but It's nice to get exposure for a broader fanbase, not just our market.  In my opinion this isn't something to be critical of.  I'm happy to get positive league exposure.

39 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

A little bit deceiving because we did get picks back in alot of those deals.

He also acquired two 2nds and a 3rd in the Garrison, Bieksa, and Lack trades.

Yeah?  What did he do with the 2nd he acquired for Garrison?  I'm not overly critical of Benning, but it's hard to defend his trading of picks.

4 minutes ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

Yeah?  What did he do with the 2nd he acquired for Garrison?  I'm not overly critical of Benning, but it's hard to defend his trading of picks.

Not too worried about those.

There's players available right now for cheap that most people would be happy if we had used a second round pick to draft them.

Nine times out of ten those picks don't represent anything that can't be replaced later. As long as we're not trading our 1st round picks I'm happy.

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Not too worried about those.

There's players available right now for cheap that most people would be happy if we had used a second round pick to draft them.

Nine times out of ten those picks don't represent anything that can't be replaced later. As long as we're not trading our 1st round picks I'm happy.

I agree with that, but I do think there should be more consideration for 2nd round picks based on how deep the drafts are.  That's not a commentary on Benning.  The most successful teams are the ones with who find the best players past the first round. 

1 minute ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

I agree with that, but I do think there should be more consideration for 2nd round picks based on how deep the drafts are.  That's isn't a commentary on Benning.  The most successful teams are the ones with who find the best players past the first round. 

And I'm sure Benning evaluates who he thinks will be available with his pick and weighs the pros and cons of trading it.

With a GM that can scout talent we should be expecting him to find talent in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounds too. Sometimes a 2nd round pick is a necessary piece to get a deal done.

I'm definitely not losing sleep over not drafting McKeown or Andersson with those 2nd round picks. Especially when we can get beauties like Tryamkin in the 3rd.

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

And I'm sure Benning evaluates who he thinks will be available with his pick and weighs the pros and cons of trading it.

With a GM that can scout talent we should be expecting him to find talent in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounds too. Sometimes a 2nd round pick is a necessary piece to get a deal done.

I'm definitely not losing sleep over not drafting McKeown or Andersson with those 2nd round picks. Especially when we can get beauties like Tryamkin in the 3rd.

I'm counting on more Tryamkins in the future.  A pick in any round can be a good NHL player, I hope JB takes some risks based on his gut.

29 minutes ago, jono2009 said:

not bad for a guy who "loves draft picks and having lots of them at the draft" eh?

Well just to follow this article up now there's one that ranking General Manager rankings at the Score

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1064619?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

They ranked Vcr 31st  !!! ie they ranked Vegas ahead of Vcr  :lol:

Jim Benning is either in executive prison, and carrying out another's agenda, or Vancouver's obvious lack of mindful direction is his enormously misguided modus operandi.

here's how I responded  :lol:

The First question we should all ask is who is Jason Cuthbert and how come his views or opinions are better than the 12 year old next door ? Well here's a thumbnail of Jason

Kinesiologist at Queen Square Physical Therapy and Rehab,...

Education
Centennial College, The University of Western Ontario

Seems like a decent enough back ground. A failed Physiotherapist from some unheard of small college. They're the credentials that make you take notice. Frankly in the case of Vcr most of the downeast media types have this pre programmed view that Benning doesn't know where he's taking the team,
which of course is not the case he's stated it again and again The concept of building on the fly seems unthinkable for the eastern media pack. Apparently the Rockies keep impairing the audio. So lets go over it again just for Justin's benefit. The rebuild in Vcr started in 2013 when Gillis traded Schneider for Horvat and Luongo for Markstrom. Since that time apparently un-noticed by Justin they have brought in youth. Currently 43% of the roster is under 24. Players included in that number are players such as Horvat, Beartschi, Virtanen, Hutton, Gudbranson and Tryamkin. Most of who likely Jason hasn't followed that closely. They let Hamhuis, Higgins go because they're giving youth a chance. They have drafted recently Boeser a top scoring freshman in the NCAA, Demko expected to be a franchise goalie and Julevi and top pairing D ( to go along with Tanev a vet at 26 ) Vcr doesn't want to follow the Leafs and Oilers model years/decades of ineptitude. It's a model that apparently can't be grasped... and so.... because we can't grasp it we'll criticise it. Good on you Justin ignorance is your cloak  

This is part of the 30 in 30 feature that NHL.com puts out every August.  Kevin Woodley did a good job writing.  Not the usual Nux on the wrong track jibberish.

On ‎03‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 11:09 AM, Fantomex said:

I really wish we could get a firm confirmation on Tryamkin's height and weight. I know he's big, but if he truly is 265 at 21 years old, the kid is going to be an absolute mammoth on the blue line for years to come. Freakishly strong already, and most likely to get stronger... Wouldn't want to be Johnny G going into a corner with him. 

Tryamkin was weighed in at 228 by the Canucks when he arrived from Russia in March.  That's the figure they have posted on their web site.  No idea where they cooked up 265. He said he was going to try to drop 5KG over the summer.  Oh, and his height was 6'7.5"

Archived