The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ranking the Leagues 31 GMs - Is JB the Worst NHL GM?

I hope they didn't pay this guy much for this article.  Rating all teams' GM's with one-liners.  Put's Las Vegas' GM (a franchise that doesn't even exist yet) in the middle for no reasons other than he feels that's where it should go.  Trash 

i think the biggest issue they have on Benning is he doesn't seem to be fully committed to either a full playoff push or a full rebuild.. he's stuck somewhere in the retool stage that we've been in since hell since gillis was here.. while we have some good decent prospects.. roster spot wise on the team that allows them to excel is limited by older vets... and a lot of this ranking is probably going to be based on his inability to move any players at the trade deadline.. partially his fault and partially not.. 

the listing seems quite distorted to me

laffs are #11 and have proven nothing? what gives with that

they should be at or near bottom until they actually produce

jb is  a fine gm and that will show up in the upcoming seasons

and likely even this one

i shake my head when i read what the pundits think of this past off season

solid acquisitions this off season

inability to retain hamhuis is really my only criticism

and look at the injury tally from last year

when both edler and sutter went down in the same game the team was or almost was in a playoff position

7 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

So they have Benning at 31 out of a 30 team league( Vegas isnt in the league yet and McPhee has done squat) and WD at 27....love that Eastern bias.

The real problem is journalism itself nowadays. None of these writers actually think for themselves. It's all just "gotta get it out now" regurgitated drivel. Makes it hard to give any of these guys credibility.

That's why I respect the rare few who actually do put the time into researching our team. It's fine to criticize but at least have your facts straight and don't just spew the same garbage everyone else is.

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The real problem is journalism itself nowadays. None of these writers actually think for themselves. It's all just "gotta get it out now" regurgitated drivel. Makes it hard to give any of these guys credibility.

That's why I respect the rare few who actually do put the time into researching our team. It's fine to criticize but at least have your facts straight and don't just spew the same garbage everyone else is.

Bingo.

I'm getting really tired of this lazy clickbait crap. Articles like this are 100% drivel. Real journalists would be too embarrassed to attach their names to it. This stuff is targeted at the lowest common denominator and designed to take as little effort as possible to churn out. 

It's partly a popularity contest. Canucks have been disliked by other fan bases (and some say Bettman and his refs) for quite a while now, the media in general isn't kind and the guy that wrote the article is probably from Toronto. They're trying to appease the eastern readers and hating on Vancouver might be popular. A lot of people here dislike Toronto and bash the Leafs, and we'd probably vote them last as well. LOL Can't take it seriously, it's not fair or accurate, they just want readers.  

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

i think the biggest issue they have on Benning is he doesn't seem to be fully committed to either a full playoff push or a full rebuild.. he's stuck somewhere in the retool stage that we've been in since hell since gillis was here.. while we have some good decent prospects.. roster spot wise on the team that allows them to excel is limited by older vets... and a lot of this ranking is probably going to be based on his inability to move any players at the trade deadline.. partially his fault and partially not.. 

i guess now that all casual fans have gone all that's left are the Koolaid drinkers

Right boys! we've got em right where we want em!

Things just couldn't be better

But let's rotate the captaincy for this upcoming cup season

he leSeems only fair to let Gudbranson and Rodin take a turn in thier Norris and Art Ross Season, Oh and that SEL guy who is going to lead the league in PP points

But in all honesty, this isn't totally fair, it's well known Aqua man is pulling the strings

The team needs a new owner

You know? In a way it's kind of fun to be a fan of the team everything is expecting to be a basement dweller. If we're terrible this season, meh, we get a good draft pick and everyone's opinion of us stays the same. If we make the playoffs, then I get to watch all these journalists and talking heads do a 180 and say they say it coming. 

Though again, HOW. THE. FRACK. CAN. A. GM. WHO. HAS. DONE. NOTHING. FOR. HIS. TEAM. be better than 14 others? 

I'd say that this season is still a growing season for the youth that Benning has amassed.  I look for improvements with Virtanen, Tryamkin, Baertchi, and Etem.  Big improvements with others amassed by Gillis in Horvat, Hutton and Tanev.  Rodin is a wild card.  Gubranson will make Benning look good, but I hope McCann doesn't make Benning look bad.  Unfortunately we will need to wait on Boeser and Juolevi.  Demko will need to learn the pro game in the AHL.  I hope Benning makes it to the following season, because we will see some growth with this group.  Benning has a plan.  The media just hasn't analyzed it or understand it.  I'd like to see more skill on this team, but I can see that Benning is still plugging holes.  I didn't like the Shinkaruk for Granlund trade.  But I have to wait on that one.  I'd suggest that it's still too early to rank half of the GM's in the league.  With most teams it takes 5 years to overhaul a roster.  I hope the Leafs suck next year and we are a top ten team.  That would show that the so called experts do nothing but blow smoke.

Archived