The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour/Speculation] Hudler/Canucks

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Rodin sounds a bit like an entitled player. Not willing to really earn his spot and fight his way into the lineup. He sounds more like Radulov than Hudler does IMO. The guy's never played an NHL game and wants to be gifted a spot? Going to be an interesting camp.

How so? He's done a two-year stint in the AHL before deciding to play in his home country.. Never seen or heard anything of him expecting to be gifted a spot. However, if he isn't going to play in the NHL he'd prefer to play in the SEL If he hadn't already experienced the AHL bus rides I'd maybe agree with you.

2 minutes ago, Incursio said:

If you look at it from his perspective it makes sense. He had a good thing going in Europe, so I wouldn't blame him for only wanting to play in Vancouver. I wouldn't pack up my life and move to a different continent to play in the minors either

Yes, good point. He's had success in Europe and he's not a kid anymore (25) and has played in the AHL before. I wouldn't blame him if he went back to Europe (assuming only if he doesn't make the Canucks)

But if he doesn't make the team, then I guess he's not as good as they say he is. I'm hoping he makes it, Canucks could use some scoring.

1 hour ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

I'm with you. We need more secondary scoring no matter what, and at this point if someone can provide that without being "gritty" then I don't really give a sh**. Sign them up!

Ditto.  Yes, a big/tough scoring winger is indeed what we ideally need.  But we just don't have the assets to get such a player without it being detrimental to the rest of the club.  There are a few potential rare exceptions such as Yakupov, Kane, and Hartnell, but if Benning has already exhausted those routes and found that the ask is too much for any of those players, then I strongly support going after Hudler.  He's absolutely free, and was a point-a-game player only the season after this past one.  If we can't get an ideal player in that role, at least he'd be able to contribute in scoring until we have players available to fill the top six.

Sedin Sedin Eriksson    

Hudler Horvat Rodin      

Baertschi Sutter Hansen  

Burrrows Granlund Dorsett 

Gaunce Etem

Virtanen (?)

Assuming Rodin can contribute at a 2nd line level (which I'm not convinced, but let's just say he can), then this is actually a pretty solid lineup, imo.

Just now, kloubek said:

Ditto.  Yes, a big/tough scoring winger is indeed what we ideally need.  But we just don't have the assets to get such a player without it being detrimental to the rest of the club.  There are a few potential rare exceptions such as Yakupov, Kane, and Hartnell, but if Benning has already exhausted those routes and found that the ask is too much for any of those players, then I strongly support going after Hudler.  He's absolutely free, and was a point-a-game player only the season after this past one.  If we can't get an ideal player in that role, at least he'd be able to contribute in scoring until we have players available to fill the top six.

Sedin Sedin Eriksson    

Hudler Horvat Rodin      

Baertschi Sutter Hansen  

Burrrows Granlund Dorsett 

Gaunce Etem

Virtanen (?)

Assuming Rodin can contribute at a 2nd line level (which I'm not convinced, but let's just say he can), then this is actually a pretty solid lineup, imo.

WD after the Colorado game mid-March on Horvat:  "I think it's better for him.  I think we took him away a bit from his game when we played him with Baertschi and Vrbata but we needed to because we were looking for ways to score.  But he's better when he plays with defensive guys, he shuts guys down and then works off transition."

This does not spell Horvat being C2 over Sutter.  There were other comments too and it's pretty obvious that WD wants Horvat to work on his defensive game before taking the next step.  Hudler and Rodin do not qualify as defensive wingers.

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yeah, thinking maybe the middle 6 could be:

Baertschi - Sutter - Rodin

Hudler - Horvat - Hansen (the "Triple H" line)

Given that Baertschi and Hudler produced playing together - I would have them on the same line.

I would put Etem or Gaunce at LW besides Horvat.  I think it's a good idea to have Hansen with him to help him settle his defensive game. 

Just because we have a "hole" on LW doesn't mean we have to acquire Hudler; no thanks imo.

We're pretty well good-to-go but of course we could use a top 2 LW.

JB may be adding pressure for the youth to take the 2LW spot just by saying he wants one.

But, if the right player became available, at the right price, I believe he would close the deal.

This basket of left-over, over-priced, small, soft free agents holds nothing of interest.

The problem children of other teams, e.g. Kane (what does he actually do to these girls that make them hate him so?), Hartnell (overpaid; slow), others(?) are not something we need to add to our nearly-set roster.

I think we will probably go to camp and see if Etem can be effective at 2LW or 3LW (behind Baertschi); also Gaunce may be able to hold down 3LW or 4LW with Dorsett or Burr filling in for now.

Adding Hudler could mean that we're shipping Baertschi out in a deal for a big left winger. Hudler would be a good short term replacement for him.

You gotta think if Buffalo was trading Kane, or Colorado was trading Landeskog that they would want a left winger back in the deal.

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Adding Hudler could mean that we're shipping Baertschi out in a deal for a big left winger. Hudler would be a good short term replacement for him.

You gotta think if Buffalo was trading Kane, or Colorado was trading Landeskog that they would want a left winger back in the deal.

Likely a more proven lw'er however if sb works in a package for Gab then sign me up. I don't want Kane at all and if he wasn't from B.C I don't think as many on here would want him either.

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Please JB, do not trade Baertschi! Least of which for Kane. Please and Thank you! :)

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Likely a more proven lw'er however if sb works in a package for Gab then sign me up. I don't want Kane at all and if he wasn't from B.C I don't think as many on here would want him either.

You make a good point, I know I wouldn't want him here if he wasn't from BC. And even though he's from BC, my opinion has changed after hearing more about the reactions from these women. Kane, clearly, is a troubled young man, with too much fame and money, who is on a path of destruction. Not a good fit for our Canucks. 

Like the idea of packaging Baertschi for Landeskog, if that were to happen.

Archived