The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour/Speculation] Hudler/Canucks

A lot of good points here. After more thinking, it makes me wonder why JB would sign Hudler instead of letting a prospect player (Gaunce) take a spot.

Why do we need Hudler? If they really need a #2LW (because they don't want to put Baertschi there), then why not let Granlund have a go? We traded Shinkaruk for him, and Shink may be a top 6 player one day. So why not Granlund?

Daniel - Henrik - Eriksson

Granlund - Sutter - Rodin/Virtanen

Baertschi - Horvat - Hansen

Etem - Gaunce - Burrows/Dorsett

I think Granlund could take a step this year if given the chance. He has the skills and speed. If he continues to play on the 4th line, he'll just continue getting 4th line points.

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

A lot of good points here. After more thinking, it makes me wonder why JB would sign Hudler instead of letting a prospect player (Gaunce) take a spot.

Why do we need Hudler? If they really need a #2LW (because they don't want to put Baertschi there), then why not let Granlund have a go? We traded Shinkaruk for him, and Shink may be a top 6 player one day. So why not Granlund?

Daniel - Henrik - Eriksson

Granlund - Sutter - Rodin/Virtanen

Baertschi - Horvat - Hansen

Etem - Gaunce - Burrows/Dorsett

I think Granlund could take a step this year if given the chance. He has the skills and speed. If he continues to play on the 4th line, he'll just continue getting 4th line points.

They don't want Baertschi there because they don't want to put pressure on him to produce - LW2 is his spot once he's ready.  Like C2 is Horvat's spot once he's ready.

They aren't goint to shift that pressure to Granlund or Virtanen who are further back in their development.  There is also no way that Granlund is better than Baer at producing offence.

Btw, WD doesn't want Baertschi with Horvat because it's taking Horvat away from his game.  So they'll either have to put Baer on the 4th and they won't put him with the likes of Gaunce or Dorsett, compromise on Horvat's development or put Baer on the 2nd.

1 minute ago, jstewboy said:

If Jiri signs, Virtanen definitely is staying up. Which would be best for everyone I think. 1-2 years fully tradable Hudler would be a great thing for the Canucks. 

Why would Hudler signing mean JV stays up?  Wouldn't it mean he's probably going down?

18 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

yes i like these line combinations more

It's close, but it gives Horvat zero chance of offence.  We are developing Bo to be our future in the top 6.  Not a 3rd line Allstar. 

At this point in his development I'd like to give him more offensive linemates and responsibility.

I loved him in the last half of the year. Putting up good points playing a true power forward style. 

Let Sutter be the shutdown guy. 

I think if Hudler is in, Rodin is out. With Hudler you know what you're getting, a scorer on the downslope of his career. With Rodin, it's boom or bust.

Listing the Forwards:

Baertschi

Burrows

Dorsett

Eriksson

Etem

Granlund

Hansen

Horvat

(Hudler)

Rodin

Sedin

Sedin

Sutter

Virtanen

Pluggin them in:

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Baertschi - Horvat - Hudler

Burrows - Sutter - Hansen

Etem - Granlund - Dorsett

Virtanen/Rodin

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Hudler takes up a spot though, so who goes - Baer?

Obviously.  He's a  playmaker and they are no real goal scorers on the team so he's redundant.

Tomlinson says he can generate offence out of nothing and Linden thinks he can do things offensively that not many can.  Who knows maybe some teams find that useful.  They might even want to play him in the top-6 and give him a goal scorer.  He did produce in that role in Calgary - he was just not productive when they had him in a bottom-6 role.

Maybe the Canucks can get a grinder come back this way or just give him away for further considerations as it would free his cap hit.  It's just a bit unfortunate that they are using him in their 'next chapter' campaign. 

Get Hudler

Trade Sbisa+Etem+3rd for Kane

2 trade baits for picks next year in Burrows and Dorsett

Sedin Sedin Eriksson

Kane Sutter Virtanen

Hudler Horvat Hansen

Baertschi Gaunce Granlund

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Tryamkin Larsen

Pedan Subban/Stetcher/Biega

Now that is a solid line up

4 hours ago, Hortankin said:

Get Hudler

Trade Sbisa+Etem+3rd for Kane

2 trade baits for picks next year in Burrows and Dorsett

Sedin Sedin Eriksson

Kane Sutter Virtanen

Hudler Horvat Hansen

Baertschi Gaunce Granlund

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Tryamkin Larsen

Pedan Subban/Stetcher/Biega

Now that is a solid line up

Well in that case if you wanna be crazy..... Go all in!!! Trade for Oliver Ekman-Larson!!!

for Chris Tanev, Larsen and a 1st round draft pick 2017 aswell second 2017!

Now that's Some Big Dreams!

now you got dept for Stanley cup run!

Sedin, Sedin, Eriksson.    

Kane, Sutter, Hudler

Baertschi, Horvat, Virtanen

Burrows, Gaunce, Granlund

Ekman-Larsson, Edler

Hutton, Gudbransson

Tryamkin, Beiga/Subban

PP1- Sedin, Sedin, Eriksson, Kane, 

Ekman-Larsson 

PP2- Baertchi, Horvat, Sutter, Hudler,

Edler

Trade baits- sbsia, etem, Hansen, Rodin,  Tanev, Larsen, dorsett and some draft picks!

Hudler is pure grit.  There's no denying that.

But I think we can find those 16 goals elsewhere - and not have to dish someone 58% ozone starts with Monahan and Gaudreau to come up with them.

I think this is one 32 yr old that we may have to pass on even if he's everything we're looking for.

1 hour ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I think if Hudler is in, Rodin is out. With Hudler you know what you're getting, a scorer on the downslope of his career. With Rodin, it's boom or bust.

Listing the Forwards:

Baertschi

Burrows

Dorsett

Eriksson

Etem

Granlund

Hansen

Horvat

(Hudler)

Rodin

Sedin

Sedin

Sutter

Virtanen

Pluggin them in:

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Baertschi - Horvat - Hudler

Burrows - Sutter - Hansen

Etem - Granlund - Dorsett

Virtanen/Rodin

That looks right. I'd send Virtanen and Gaunce down to the farm playing top minutes and keep Grenier up as a spare forward as well. Given there is almost always an injured player Rodin slots in. Virtanen or Gaunce play if they can get the ice time. Grenier sits as a healthy scratch for about 40 games. 

Archived