The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour/Speculation] Hudler/Canucks

Just now, Hortankin said:

If he did turn heads and we traded Edler+ for Landeskog I would actually put Juolevi on the top pairing with Tanev. 

Juolevi Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Tryamkin Sbisa/Larsen

As unlikely as they are to force Hutton in to that position, they're doubly so less likely to do that to Juolevi.

2 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

If he did turn heads and we traded Edler+ for Landeskog I would actually put Juolevi on the top pairing with Tanev. 

Juolevi Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Tryamkin Sbisa/Larsen

If it's anyone it would probably be Sbisa on the top pair, or we go ahead and sign Russell to a cheap deal if that scenario happens. 

7 hours ago, kloubek said:

Well, two points:

I appreciate that Willie's plan for Horvat likely starts him out on the 3rd line.  However, my take on it is that I think there is a good chance Horvat will show so much scoring flair that Willie will have no choice but to give into those who believe Horvat should be playing on the 2nd line.  Fact is that Sutter is best suited for a 3rd line role as well, and is really being over utilized on the 2nd line.  With all this said, perhaps when it comes to the PP that is where Horvat can get his extra time instead while still achieving WD's desires for Horvat on the 3rd.

But secondly, and perhaps most importantly, the line combinations I posted were really only to show the quality of players we would have in the lineup overall.  Nobody knows for certain what the line combinations will be, and even one player coming in or going out of the lineup can shuffle everything around.  Does Eriksson succeed on the 1st line?  Does Virtanen make the team?  How does Rodin do on the 2nd, and would WD even place him there?  etc.

5 hours ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

Everything you've just said is completely contradictory to what WD has said is the development plan for Horvat this season. He felt he was rushed into an offensive role last year and wants him on the 3rd line this year with checking linemates to work on that part of his game.

Answering both related posts about a strong priority to use Bo in a defensive role;

One issue > besides Hansen who still qualifies as a high end checking forward to compliment Bo?  One problem with making up the lines is that we don't really have the personnel to distribute the way Willie suggests is ideal?

Unless Gaunce, can step up?  But he does not have thrilling speed so I see him cruising the middle as a pivot. Not flying down ice to fore-check & punish D.  Even just mentioning that has me hope Jake also steps up?  In any case we will be much better served if Gaunce can grab the 4C as a defensively responsible BIG centre option.

Then to make up the in-balance: play Bo with Sutter & Hansen. They could share face off duties, would have size, speed and balls on ability to shut down key lines. It would also allow the third to be sheltered for offensive zone situations. Where any size issues actually give them speed and zip in the other end. Roll out the 4th if size is an issue, the 2knd not available for a D zone draw?

Danny Hank Loui

Sutter Bo Hansen

Baer Granlund Rodin     Swap Jake in for Rodin if you need size, or he deserves it!

Burrows Gaunce Etem

Dorsett

Bo can play with prime shut down players who ALL score in counter attack!

The other way to gain the role everyone (on CDC LOL) wants for Bo?

Someone, I think The Minister, suggested Sutter at RW.  Loui Ericsson is an excellent two way forward.  Plays LW & RW. If Sutter could play with the Twins;

Ericsson Horvat Hansen

Looks like a great 2knd line that can score, check and play in any zone...   What do you think @ J.R.

3 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Someone, I think The Minister, suggested Sutter at RW.  Loui Ericsson is an excellent two way forward.  Plays LW & RW. If Sutter could play with the Twins;

Ericsson Horvat Hansen

Looks like a great 2knd line that can score, check and play in any zone...   What do you think @ J.R.

Lmfao!

4 hours ago, Pears said:

Starting to warm up to Hudler a little. Yea he's a little old but he still put up 50+ points last year. I think something like this could work very well

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Burrows - Sutter - Hudler

Baertschi - Horvat - Hansen

Virtanen - Granlund - Etem

Rodin/Dorsett

He's a very smart under the radar player. Good all-round skill. For an old guy he's younger than or as young as half of the top 6 in your line-up.

If the 2 year deal is there I'd take it. I'd rather have a proven 35-40 point 2-way guy than roll the dice on Rodin. 

I've been of the belief that there was no way Virtanen starts the season in Utica, but a move like getting Hudler, and a potential trade for some of the names out there and suddenly the Canucks have a very respectable top 9 with good pieces left over to be a 4 line team.

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Trade - Sutter - Hudler

Burrows/Dorsett - Granlund - Etem

27 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Answering both related posts about a strong priority to use Bo in a defensive role;

One issue > besides Hansen who still qualifies as a high end checking forward to compliment Bo?  One problem with making up the lines is that we don't really have the personnel to distribute the way Willie suggests is ideal?

Unless Gaunce, can step up?  But he does not have thrilling speed so I see him cruising the middle as a pivot. Not flying down ice to fore-check & punish D.  Even just mentioning that has me hope Jake also steps up?  In any case we will be much better served if Gaunce can grab the 4C as a defensively responsible BIG centre option.

Then to make up the in-balance: play Bo with Sutter & Hansen. They could share face off duties, would have size, speed and balls on ability to shut down key lines. It would also allow the third to be sheltered for offensive zone situations. Where any size issues actually give them speed and zip in the other end. Roll out the 4th if size is an issue, the 2knd not available for a D zone draw?

Danny Hank Loui

Sutter Bo Hansen

Baer Granlund Rodin     Swap Jake in for Rodin if you need size, or he deserves it!

Burrows Gaunce Etem

Dorsett

Bo can play with prime shut down players who ALL score in counter attack!

Baertschi and Granlund combined for two goals spread over two seasons in the AHL - in fairness they were not often paired together or in the same league at the same time.  

WD had them together all through March (when healthy) but they haven't put up one single point together.  Granlund is further back in his development than Baertschi and still has to find his scoring touch at this level.  It won't be an effective line until he does.   I am not sure Granlund is suited for a scoring role either - in Calgary they had him at C2 for the first part of the season but it wasn't productive so they moved him to C3 (and at times in the pressbox) before trading him.  

22 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Ericsson Horvat Hansen

IMO, the only way we see Sutter at RW is if we sign another, short term vet at 2C. Otherwise, they'd clearly prefer to shelter Horvat (with Sutter at 2C) as they'd hoped to last year.

When Vermette was thought to be available for one year, I could have seen that.

Sedin, Sedin, Sutter/Eriksson

Baer, Vermette, Eriksson/Sutter

Etem, Horvat, Hansen

Burr, Granlund, Dorsett

If we could sign Vermette for $2-$3m for 1-2 years, that could still work. Sutter splitting draws on strong sides etc with whichever lefty (line 1 or 2) C he's playing with.

25 minutes ago, cbdoubleu said:

He's a very smart under the radar player. Good all-round skill. For an old guy he's younger than or as young as half of the top 6 in your line-up.

If the 2 year deal is there I'd take it. I'd rather have a proven 35-40 point 2-way guy than roll the dice on Rodin. 

I've been of the belief that there was no way Virtanen starts the season in Utica, but a move like getting Hudler, and a potential trade for some of the names out there and suddenly the Canucks have a very respectable top 9 with good pieces left over to be a 4 line team.

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Trade - Sutter - Hudler

Burrows/Dorsett - Granlund - Etem

No doubt. If that top six forward is Landeskog that might put us back in Western Conference contention. Like I suggested earlier I think Edler+ should be able to get it done. 

8 hours ago, mll said:

Horvat was forcing his offence when he played with Baertschi.  Likely only temporary because C2 will be Horvat's spot and Benning has also said that LW2 will be Baertschi's.

After the Jets game - WD had a very brutal assessment on the performance of the team and talked of how they weren't playing an honest game and cheating on defence - trying to leave the zone early instead of playing defence first.  The only guy that got praise was Baer who he thought had a great game.  A few days later WD added that his game went to another level especially the last 10 games - the last 9 were spent away from Horvat.  So it might be better for both right now.

Horvat's offence comes from playing good defence - where he breaks up plays and then rushes the other way to score.  Baertschi can work off the rush but his strength is when he gets the puck in the o-zone where he constructs a play to score.  

-----

WDs quotes on Horvat.

The Colorado game after the Jets game when asked about Horvat at C3 - he played with Gaunce and Virtanen.  "I think it's better for him.  I think we took him away a bit from his game when we played him with Baertschi and Vrbata but we needed to because we were looking for ways to score.  But he's better when he plays with defensive guys, he shuts guys down and then works off transition."

After the Anaheim game in early April (had lately been playing with Etem, Dorsett, Higgins):   "I thought a little bit I was playing to his weakness. Ah, I don't know. It's not his weakness, but the strength of his game is playing great defence," Willie Desjardins said.  "It's not forcing the offence. It's funny, because the past couple of games I put him on a more defensive line. I wanted him to be more of a shutdown guy. And he's responded with great efforts. I see him as a real good checking center."

No question that Willie said all that stuff but there are a lot of variables here which could put Baer and Bo back together, on a nominal third line.  The most obvious is if JB gets that 2LW.  But Horvat says he's been working on some offensive skills this summer, and if that translates into results, his play alone could propel him into a different role than Willie had in mind.  Another factor is that with Sutter healthy, he can split shutdown duties and defensive zone starts instead of piling them all on Horvat's shoulders.  So the context in which Willie said all that will change.  Hopefully Willie's mind changes too because Horvat is no career 3C.  I'd expect Benning to intervene if Willie continues to treat him like one. 

1 hour ago, Pears said:

No doubt. If that top six forward is Landeskog that might put us back in Western Conference contention. Like I suggested earlier I think Edler+ should be able to get it done. 

IF Juolevi was spectacular in camp & looked ready...

I could see a movement to move Edler for a forward. My own opinion is that conversation might best happen at the deadline in 2018 or19?

If it happened now & Juolevi was ready it has some substance as a tactic.  But it leaves us with sophomore Hutton, rookie Olli & rookie Tryamkin as your cored D on the left hand side? Unless you also believe in the merits of Sbisa as a top 4 D? Or at least depth long term foundational guy??  Hutton, Juolevi, Tryamkin is just too inexperienced to throw completely to the wolves is my suggested point...

21 hours ago, Erik Karlsson said:

How do we fit everyone if he signs?

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Hudler-Sutter-Rodin

Baertschi-Horvat-Hansen

Burrows-Granlund-Dorsett

Etem?

Gaunce?

Virtanen?

Etem is a lock to make the team and I think Virtanen comes into training camp and makes it impossible to send him down .

Gaunce deserves to be in the NHL imo, but I guess could start in Utica.

I think that's the right question here.  The likelihood that we'll be carrying 8 D on the 23 man roster only makes it worse.  Both Gaunce and Virtanen probably go down, with Etem as the 13th forward.  Do they really want to go that route?  I can see it both ways but there's definitely going to be a price for signing Hudler to be paid in the development of those players. 

I highly doubt Juolevi is going to come out of nowhere and dominate in training camp. He hasn't even dominated junior yet.

The thing that people have to remember about Hutton's breakout camp performance is that he was a 22 year old that had refined his game over the course of three years of college. 

To expect anything close from an 18 year old is expecting way too much.

He may not be the fastest player or gritty in any way, but he's pretty versatile. He scores goals in lots of different ways and is a great setup guy. 

I could see him working well with Baertschi and Horvat, even if that's not part of Willie's plan.

20 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He may not be the fastest player or gritty in any way, but he's pretty versatile. He scores goals in lots of different ways and is a great setup guy. 

I could see him working well with Baertschi and Horvat, even if that's not part of Willie's plan.

Baertschi - Hudler worked.  There are other clips from the same channel with Baer's highlights from the previous seasons and you can see some of their plays together.  They were on the same line in 2013/14 and at times in 2012/13.

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Baertschi - Hudler worked.  There are other clips from the same channel with Baer's highlights from the previous seasons and you can see some of their plays together.  They were on the same line in 2013/14 and at times in 2012/13.

Was Hudler with Monahan and Goudreau?  

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Hudler and Baertschi  played with Monahan in 13/14 I think.

Then the Hudler, Monahan, Gaudreau line was put together the following season.

Thanks.  Would we rather have Hudler or Vrbata for one year at the same money?

1 hour ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

No question that Willie said all that stuff but there are a lot of variables here which could put Baer and Bo back together, on a nominal third line.  The most obvious is if JB gets that 2LW.  But Horvat says he's been working on some offensive skills this summer, and if that translates into results, his play alone could propel him into a different role than Willie had in mind.  Another factor is that with Sutter healthy, he can split shutdown duties and defensive zone starts instead of piling them all on Horvat's shoulders.  So the context in which Willie said all that will change.  Hopefully Willie's mind changes too because Horvat is no career 3C.  I'd expect Benning to intervene if Willie continues to treat him like one. 

Benning also says Horvat is C3 next year and that Sutter is C2.  Like for Baer they don't want to put pressure on Horvat.  They will be LW2 and C2 once they are ready.  It's just unclear how and when they will get there.

The thing for next season is that Benning says Baer is on the 3rd but WD thinks it's not ideal for Horvat's development right now to play him with Baertschi. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Thanks.  Would we rather have Hudler or Vrbata for one year at the same money?

I would take Hudler. He seems like the more versatile player, and I think he could produce without the Sedins better.

Vrbata left a bad impression with fans too. He seemed to mope alot last season when things weren't going his way. Not the type of player you want around young guys IMO.

Archived