The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Anonymous Agent with Canucks info (from /r/Canucks)

2 hours ago, apollo said:

" Owners: They are in control, Benning and Linden have both had multiple discussions with ownership on changing the plan to a rebuild, instead of a retool. The owners want none of it, and made the choice clear, Benning has been hand-strapped since. "

Good. Our owners are smarter than Jimbo and TL in that case. Rebuilding and tanking and losing hockey games is for losers. Winning is good. Thank you Aquaman if this is true. 

Too bad to hear about Rodin. 

Hmmm I'd probably prefer Hudler over Vrby at this point. 

OJ being compared to Vlasic as his ceiling... you'd hope a 5th overall would have a higher ceiling than Vlasic but I guess Vlasic is extremely underrated? 

So we were just shy of swapping the 2017 first for 2016 first to make the Subban deal go through? Should have pulled the trigger... 

Yep..We definitely did lots of winning last year.  Guarenteed 3-6 more wins this year.  

Owners believe getting close to playoffs and winning a mid round 1st is better for the team long term over trading old assets and gaining younger?  Might work if you are willing to break the bank to buy a first line with talent vs filling it with potential 2nd/3rd liners.  Personally I don't like that approach.  I'm a fan of stock-piling picks and young assets, create a young core from high draft picks and supplement that new core via tradin of extra draft picks & redundant prospects.

Kind of what Bowman did in Chicago.  With Jim being a smart judge of talent I think this would be the ideal route.  I'm still not impressed with JB signings/trades thus far.  Could be wrong, we'll see throughout the season for sure.  Hope I'm wrong.

I think calling this a rebuild or retool is just playing with semantics. Off the top of my head, the only players left from the old regime who is 30+ is the Sedins, Burrows, and Edler. So will it be considered a rebuild when the Sedins are gone?

Vrbata last year was interviewed saying his family likes the city, he likes the city, doesn't want to leave. Could you blame him? 

I'd resign him over Hudler if the money was right. 2.5x2 maybe. No NTC, could be valuable at TDL if we aren't in the running for a playoff spot. 

Vermette - Has some level of physicality over Hudler, but is horrible at defense.  He's also getting older, and has never produced at a particularly high pace.  If we absolutely need someone for the 2nd (and it looks like we would - especially if Rodin can't play) then I would be up for it if we can't swing anything else.  Not a natural winger over his last many seasons, which is what we really need.

Hudler - My preferred acquisition of the remaining UFAs.  He has the potential to score nearly at a point a game pace.  No, he doesn't have the physicality we could use, but he's free, so....

Russell - No point in getting him now.  We already have a potential glut of NHL-contributing defensemen.  That whole trade situation with Dallas was embarrassing and I can see why Benning is still pissed.

Cullen - Amazingly still playing a good role game at his age.  Still, we simply don't need another bottom six center.

Vrbata - Looked completely disinterested in playing for us last season.  Don't want him back, at any price.

Rodin - Sucks.  Many on CDC were relying on him to shore up the other side of our 2nd line.  Hansen can step up if required - it just sucks that we don't have many players to properly play the 2nd line wings.

Subban Trade - Mentioned in my earlier post... we need Horvat.  Granted, PK is very much a premier player and I'd love to have him... just not at that expense.

Kane - Understandable why we wouldn't want to introduce that into our team.   Considering everyone touts his talents, he has really never shown consistent ability to be a supreme game changer.  Honestly, I'd sooner just get Hudler for free.

3 hours ago, Monty said:

:picard: 

Grow up. Other teams, in this case Dallas, are not in the business of doing other teams any favours.

Its not so much of doing favours. If a deal was in place and agreed upon and Dallas backed out then that would be bad business in my eyes and would affect relationships of potential trades in the future. That would damage your rep.

1 hour ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

To clarify, what most people on here mean by rebuild is complete ground up rebuild. I wasn't complaining or saying I wanted one way or another. I was saying it was unfortunate that the owners won't let Linden and Benning have free reign to complete their vision of what they want to do with this team. For the record, I like what Benning has done, but obviously this implies he would do more if he was given the green light from ownership.

Not to be argumentative, but what would a green light from ownership for a complete rebuild look like? And how would it look different from what is already happening? Specifically, what is the "more" that Benning could do?

2 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Not to be argumentative, but what would a green light from ownership for a complete rebuild look like? And how would it look different from what is already happening? Specifically, what is the "more" that Benning could do?

Not trading away picks, but rather collecting them.

Trading older players for picks/prospects causing the team to finish even lower in the standings.

signing mid level UFAs to one year contracts, and trading them for picks at the TDL.

that would be a start.  

11 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

You would have to ask Benning that question. I'm not the one that is speculating that his hands are tied and that he wants to do more. The OP on Reddit is. I am merely responding to it by saying if JB/TL's hands are indeed tied by ownership from completing their vision the way they want it done, then that is unfortunate.

Owners: They are in control, Benning and Linden have both had multiple discussions with ownership on changing the plan to a rebuild, instead of a retool. The owners want none of it, and made the choice clear, Benning has been hand-strapped since.

The Aquilini's seem to think the Canucks' Stanley Cup window is still open the tiniest crack and are trying to squeeze through it like Winnie the Pooh stuck in the honey tree....

Aquilini-stuck-like-Winnie-the-Pooh-in-the-Honey-Tree.jpg

14 minutes ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

The Aquilini's seem to think the Canucks' Stanley Cup window is still open the tiniest crack and are trying to squeeze through it like Winnie the Pooh stuck in the honey tree....

Aquilini-stuck-like-Winnie-the-Pooh-in-the-Honey-Tree.jpg

More like they want to squeeze as much money out of fans pockets while they're building their towers and ski resorts.

Archived