The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Anonymous Agent with Canucks info (from /r/Canucks)

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:
17 minutes ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

The Aquilini's seem to think the Canucks' Stanley Cup window is still open the tiniest crack and are trying to squeeze through it like Winnie the Pooh stuck in the honey tree....

Aquilini-stuck-like-Winnie-the-Pooh-in-the-Honey-Tree.jpg

More like they want to squeeze as much money out of fans pockets while they're building their towers and ski resorts

Which is probably way more accurate. I just thought CDC could use the laugh. 

Isn't JB trying to make the Canucks younger/faster? If so, then why is JB targeting Vrbata (35), Vermette (34), Cullen (39) and Hudler (32)? Because he doesn't have to trade assets for them? Are there no younger (under 30) wingers available?

If someone started a post here with the lead in that the information they are sharing is from an anonymous source close to the organization, they would be flamed mercilessly.

Yet, the Canuck Way, a barely credible source itself, posts this speculative drivel, and half of those posting in this thread fall for this crap?

Wow. It is summer.

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Isn't JB trying to make the Canucks younger/faster? If so, then why is JB targeting Vrbata (35), Vermette (34), Cullen (39) and Hudler (32)? Because he doesn't have to trade assets for them? Are there no younger (under 30) wingers available?

He isn't. Someone wanted clicks and site traffic and they got it in droves.

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

JB is trying to make sure they don't put too much pressure on guys like Baertschi, Virtanen, and Rodin by forcing them into top 6 because of lack of depth.

Unfortunately the only options that won't cost us more young assets or picks are older players that are unsigned. These players are also more likely to take short term deals which will keep the roster more flexible in the future.

41 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Baer and Eriksson IMO.

It was already stated by WD that he didn't want Baertschi on the 2nd line yet.  And Eriksson was really intended to be with the Sedins.  In order to provide more than one line of scoring, Eriksson might have to drop down to the 2nd line though, and then we put Hansen back with the Sedins. 

Just now, kloubek said:

It was already stated by WD that he didn't want Baertschi on the 2nd line yet.  And Eriksson was really intended to be with the Sedins.  In order to provide more than one line of scoring, Eriksson might have to drop down to the 2nd line though, and then we put Hansen back with the Sedins. 

He'd like to drop Baer from the 2nd to shelter him (as would most of us presumably). But if there's simply no fit via UFA/trade to fill that 2LW role... guess where Baer is going to likely be playing?

IMO, that's exactly where Eriksson and Hansen should start with our present personnel.

Sedin, Sedin, Hansen

Baer, Sutter, Eriksson

Burr, Horvat, Etem

Rodin/Virtanen, Granlund, Dorsett

Zalewski

The only guy who might outplay Baer for 2LW presently is likely Rodin. And that's a BIG if.

Guys like Cullen, Vermette and even Vrbata on 1 year cheap(ish) deals have to be viewed as deadline bait for this team - not that that worked out well this year.

Hudler could be a good signing, but that depends on term and $$$

Bo, Subban and 2 1st just for PK would have been way too much.

10 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Didn't WD also state that he wanted Sbisa to play with Gudbranson?

He might not have the choices to make that he thinks he does.

28 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Was not WD but Benning.  

Mid-March WD said (paraphrased) 'he has a lot of work this off-season because he is going to have bigger and heavier Ds onto him and that's going to be a problem'.  He also suggested that he was already being targeted and that he battled through.

I think they would be better off sheltering him by giving him a proven goal scorer on his line.  Ideally someone with some size that can create space for him and finish his set-ups.  I find surprising that they want a top-6 of vets and a bottom-6 of 'kids' & Dorsett.  

Baertschi was producing in an offensive role in Calgary - it's when they had him with the grinders that everything fell apart because instead of being creative he started playing scared of making a mistake.  His father used the expression - they put him in a straight jacket.  He was finally starting to be recognisable in March.  

I feel bad for Benning. After the Sedins retire this team is going to spiral into an absolutely garbage team, thanks to Aquilini, and then he'll get fired and never get another GM job in his life. He had his pick of a couple GM jobs if I recall correctly, I guess he chose wrong. Probably not the first time that a GM will have his career ruined by an owner though.

47 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

JB is trying to make sure they don't put too much pressure on guys like Baertschi, Virtanen, and Rodin by forcing them into top 6 because of lack of depth.

Unfortunately the only options that won't cost us more young assets or picks are older players that are unsigned. These players are also more likely to take short term deals which will keep the roster more flexible in the future.

Well said. +1

2 minutes ago, Aircool said:

I feel bad for Benning. After the Sedins retire this team is going to spiral into an absolutely garbage team, thanks to Aquilini, and then he'll get fired and never get another GM job in his life. He had his pick of a couple GM jobs if I recall correctly, I guess he chose wrong. Probably not the first time that a GM will have his career ruined by an owner though.

I'm confused, isn't that what the pro tank crowd wants this team to do now?

19 minutes ago, mll said:

Was not WD but Benning.  

Mid-March WD said (paraphrased) 'he has a lot of work this off-season because he is going to have bigger and heavier Ds onto him and that's going to be a problem'.  He also suggested that he was already being targeted and that he battled through.

I think they would be better off sheltering him by giving him a proven goal scorer on his line.  Ideally someone with some size that can create space for him and finish his set-ups.  I find surprising that they want a top-6 of vets and a bottom-6 of 'kids' & Dorsett.  

Baertschi was producing in an offensive role in Calgary - it's when they had him with the grinders that everything fell apart because instead of being creative he started playing scared of making a mistake.  He was finally starting to be recognisable in March.  

The coach and the GM contradict themselves a bit.

Benning said he’d prefer Sven to be in the 3rd line role and not be forced in top 6.

WD said he’d prefer Bo to be in the 3rd line role to simplify his game.  He also said he didn’t think Sven and Vbrata helped Bo’s defensive game last year and needs to get Bo the right type of line mates.   

So unless Sven is playing the 4th line one of the them aren't going to get their way.  I think JR is right with the way opening line up starts. Rodin isn't 100% healed yet so Virtanen will likely get an opportunity at the start of the year to show he can play. 

By christmas if Rodin can transition his game smoothly, which i think he will be able to (15-18 goals).  We might be looking at a line up of:

Sedin, Sedin, Eriksson

Baer, Sutter, Rodin

Etem , Horvat, Hansen

Burrows, Granlund, Dorsett

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Well the reason it's bad for Benning is because if 4-5 years into your tenure as the GM of a team, your team is the worst team you've had across your whole tenure, you'll get fired.

I'm not going to bother addressing the tanking portion of your post, it's irrelevant to the thread and I've said enough to you on that topic already.

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

And totally untrue.

Absolute worst case scenario, if Benning didn't sign, draft or make another trade, our forward group in ~3 years, post Sedin,would likely looks something like this:

Baer, Horvat, Boeser

Eriksson, Granlund, Virtanen

Gaunce, Sutter, Etem

Zalewski, Cassels, Grenier

...and D/Goal like this:

Hutton, Gudbranson

Tryamkin, Tanev

Juolevi, Subban/Stetcher

Markstrom, Demko

While that's not likely to win any cups, if they're healthy that's far from a basement team. And Benning would literally have to do NOTHING for three years.

15 minutes ago, Aircool said:

1381793635-2e055e959a0945ad24aa48dcb867c

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

And totally untrue.

Absolute worst case scenario, if Benning didn't sign, draft or make another trade, our forward group in ~3 years, post Sedin,would likely looks something like this:

Baer, Horvat, Boeser

Eriksson, Granlund, Virtanen

Gaunce, Sutter, Etem

Zalewski, Cassels, Grenier

...and D/Goal like this:

Hutton, Gudbranson

Tryamkin, Tanev

Juolevi, Subban/Stetcher

Markstrom, Demko

While that's not likely to win any cups, if they're healthy that's far from a basement team. And Benning would literally have to do NOTHING for three years.

You mean Benning can make trades and draft players over the next 3 years? Shocking...

5 hours ago, Monty said:

:picard: 

Grow up. Other teams, in this case Dallas, are not in the business of doing other teams any favours.

Quite possibly Dallas strung the Canucks along long enough to screw them out of making a deal with another team.

I understand that dirty pool maybe allowed but that doesn't make it palatable. Crap will taste like crap.

Archived