The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrick Roy leaving Colorado [QUITS]

DENVER, CO, Aug. 11, 2016 /CNW Telbec/ - Patrick Roy, head coach and vice president of hockey operations for the Colorado Avalanche, has issued the following statement:

"For the past three years, I have carried out my duties as Head Coach and Vice President of Hockey Operations for the Colorado Avalanche with energy, passion and determination.

I have thought long and hard over the course of the summer about how I might improve this team to give it the depth it needs and bring it to a higher level. To achieve this, the vision of the coach and VP-Hockey Operations needs to be perfectly aligned with that of the organization. He must also have a say in the decisions that impact the team's performance. These conditions are not currently met.

Today, I am informing you of my decision to leave the Colorado Avalanche organization. Though it saddens me, I have put much thought about this decision in recent weeks and have come to be fully comfortable with it.

I am grateful to the Colorado Avalanche organization, with which I remain in good terms, for letting me lead this great team. I thank all the players I have had the pleasure of coaching and the fans for their unwavering, unconditional support.

I remain forever loyal to the Avalanche with which I played 478 games, coached another 253, and won two Stanley Cups."

Patrick Roy does not intend to comment further on this announcement.

SOURCE Patrick Roy rt.gif?NewsItemId=C7824&Transmission_Id= 

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/patrick-roy-statement-589887981.html

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/patrick-roy-parts-ways-avalanche-organization/

Although Roy never was one of my favorite players, I really thought that the Avalanche organization would bea good fit for him. Makes you wonder about the atmosphere there. It must really be an unpleasant enviroment there for a head coach & vp to resign like that.

Pretty bad timing, he had 2-3 months to do this prior to the draft and free agency when it is ideal for a team to have a new coach in place and the best coaches are still uncommitted. 

This leave the Avalanche in a bit of a bind.

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Hearing Roy left due to feeling like he wasn't heard regarding players he wanted drafted/signed. 

After the Berra debacle and claiming Tyson Barrie in his mind was a 4th/5th d-man , I dont blame Colorado for not listening to him

Certainly sounds like a difference of opinion on direction for the Avs between Roy and the rest of the management. Roy probably would have it all his own way if he could, but that's not how an organization is run. I wonder if they gave him the option to stay as coach, or if he only wanted the dual role.

It does remind me a little of the Gilman firing after he'd voiced his opinion on our moves, like signing Sbisa and other things, except Roy got to leave on his own.

Archived