The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hockey Writers 2016-17 Predictions

Honky Cat

Any hack can publish for that amateurish source.

Some of the worst material I've seen comes from THW.

ANALYSIS: The Canucks aren’t rebuilding, rather retooling, but that denial will likely be their downfall in what is shaping up to be another humbling season. I have Vancouver locked in as a draft lottery team for the second straight year, but the powers that be for this franchise are much more optimistic about the Canucks’ playoff chances with the current roster. They added Loui Eriksson to flank the Sedin twins on the top line and essentially replaced Dan Hamhuis with Erik Gudbranson on defence. Those weren’t bad moves, but the overall depth and quality of talent isn’t on par with the rest of the division or conference in my opinion. I do like Willie Desjardins as a coach, much more so than Jim Benning as a GM, so it’s possible that Desjardins milks that lineup for more than it’s worth. However, if the Sedins slow down or get hurt for any length of time, the Canucks will be doomed. They don’t have the supporting cast to overcome the loss of Henrik or Daniel, let alone both. Vancouver should get solid goaltending again from the tandem of Ryan Miller and Jacob Markstrom, with the latter expected to take over as starter at some point this season. Unless Markstrom emerges as a Vezina candidate, I just don’t see any way the Canucks muster more than a middle-of-the-pack finish and that wouldn’t be in their best interests at this point. Embrace the rebuild. Bring on Nolan Patrick, not Evander Kane.

One of my favorite THW gems last summer:

Alex Edler (salary retained)

for

Steven Weiss

David Pope.

Rumours have flown for a couple of years that the Red Wings had significant interest in 29-year-old Swede.

Alex Edler, who had a year to forget in Vancouver in 2013-2014. This past year, he rebounded well with a 52.3% Corsi For % and averaged nearly 24 minutes a game. If the Canucks were still looking to move him, they would need something else than just Weiss in return.

Pope may not be a name that Red Wings fans remember.

Screen Shot 2015-06-21 at 2.22.28 PM

http://thehockeywriters.com/3-possible-trade-destinations-for-stephen-weiss/

8 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

The writer has the Canucks last in virtually every category,but has at least made the effort to explain the reasons why...(unlike a lot of the eastern BS bloggers).

http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-standings-predictions-offseason-edition/ 

It sounds like this guy discusses the reality of our team.  Every hockey source says we should be rebuilding, not retooling.  Oh well, as some very smart posters have pointed out here, once the Twins leave, we will get those tank picks needed for elite talent several years in a row.  

Has the Leafs finishing ahead of Detroit and Boston....

A handful of lines of "analysis" on each team doesn't even scratch the surface.  

Waste of a read imo.

Please post the content in the OP so it's not merely click-baiting for outside sources.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It sounds like this guy discusses the reality of our team.  Every hockey source says we should be rebuilding, not retooling.  Oh well, as some very smart posters have pointed out here, once the Twins leave, we will get those tank picks needed for elite talent several years in a row.  

I'm one of the dumb' posters then,because by the time the Sedins retire,some of the 'rebuild' will be in motion..Juolevi,Demko,Boeser will be on the team...plus other upgrades ...It does not look like it will be shaping up to be a lottery team to me...IMO

1 minute ago, Honky Cat said:

I'm one of the dumb' posters then,because by the time the Sedins retire,some of the 'rebuild' will be in motion..Juolevi,Demko,Boeser will be on the team...plus other upgrades ...It does not look like it will be shaping up to be a lottery team to me...IMO

Compare our next core with other teams like Edmonton, Calgary, Colorado, and even Toronto.  That's only four teams.  Plus, teams like Chicago and LA have core groups that are not that old.  Our best players are very old compared to other teams.  I accept (now) the philosophy to try and compete until the Twins retire, and then allow the eventual tank to happen naturally.  :(

11 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Has the Leafs finishing ahead of Detroit and Boston....

A handful of lines of "analysis" on each team doesn't even scratch the surface.  

Waste of a read imo.

Please post the content in the OP so it's not merely click-baiting for outside sources.

Thanks for saving me the click

That top line is pretty laughable

I understand ranking the Canucks low, everyone has their own opinion, and hey, the Canucks didn't exactly set the NHL on fire last year.  But, I'm sorry, Benning is clearly rebuilding.  Since when did you have to trade everyone over 24 in order to not confuse others about what you're doing?

They don’t have the supporting cast to overcome the loss of Henrik or Daniel, let alone both.

How many teams have the supporting case to overcome the loss of two star players?

Say Kopitar and Doughty gets injured. LA is done. No? Toewes and Kane goes down. Not very convincing reasons for predicting the Canucks to finish last.

This is not an analysis. Just a guess work.

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

I understand ranking the Canucks low, everyone has their own opinion, and hey, the Canucks didn't exactly set the NHL on fire last year.  But, I'm sorry, Benning is clearly rebuilding.  Since when did you have to trade everyone over 24 in order to not confuse others about what you're doing?

Benning says he's retooling.  Competing for the playoffs, while trying to get younger and faster.  This might work if the Twins were five years younger, but trying this retool with our top players at 36 doesn't make sense.  As stated by almost EVERY hockey person outside our market.  The tank will come, but naturally in time.  It's like pulling off a bandaid.  Slowly and prolonged pain, or get it off quickly and take the intense pain, but for a much shorter time.  IMHAO, of course.

6 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Since the Laffs became the gold standard lol.

Just do it like the Laffzzz!!!  and Coilers.   The Leafs 'future core' of smurf forwards is looking eerily similar to the Coilers 'future core' of the past half decade.

Everyone knows you win with a few forwards, right.

how many teams in nhl history have done full rebuilds?...which ones worked?...how many have done retools? how many have improved their teams? have any teams won the stanley cup without a full rebuild? how many gm's of nhl teams, prefer the full rebuild? how many prefer the slower method?...how many gm's run their team's building according to hockey scribes and posters.?

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The tank will come, but naturally in time.  It's like pulling off a bandaid.  Slowly and prolonged pain, or get it off quickly and take the intense pain, but for a much shorter time.  IMHAO, of course.

LOL.  It's the categorical spam with a fortune-telling twist.  

The alien weatherman from the future! 

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

LOL.  It's the categorical spam with a fortune-telling twist.  

The alien weatherman from the future! 

yes, the perfect storm is on the horizon. The skies will rain cheap, salt laden, fat soaked, simulated meat in a can. :lol::lol::lol:

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Benning says he's retooling.  Competing for the playoffs, while trying to get younger and faster.  This might work if the Twins were five years younger, but trying this retool with our top players at 36 doesn't make sense.  As stated by almost EVERY hockey person outside our market.  The tank will come, but naturally in time.  It's like pulling off a bandaid.  Slowly and prolonged pain, or get it off quickly and take the intense pain, but for a much shorter time.  IMHAO, of course.

A retool, to me, would be trying to surround the Sedin's with the best players possible, by all means possible.  This team is building for a better future, not for a cup run now.  Sure, there were some FA signings that were made so the team could remain competitive, but no future assets were given up for them.

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

A retool, to me, would be trying to surround the Sedin's with the best players possible, by all means possible.  This team is building for a better future, not for a cup run now.  Sure, there were some FA signings that were made so the team could remain competitive, but no future assets were given up for them.

I like how you stated you opinion.  Where do you think we finish this season, considering the inevitable injury bug every team endures now?  

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I like how you stated you opinion.  Where do you think we finish this season, considering the inevitable injury bug every team endures now?  

They're walking a fine line, if most things go right I'd top them out at 3rd in the Pacific.  If things go bad with injuries, I'd put them as low as 6.  As usual, the truth lies somewhere inbetween and since being a Canuck fan can be like being an eternal pessimist I will settle on 5th (my heart says 4th though).

4 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

They're walking a fine line, if most things go right I'd top them out at 3rd in the Pacific.  If things go bad with injuries, I'd but them as low as 6.  As usual, the truth lies somewhere inbetween and since being a Canuck fan can be like being an eternal pessimist I will settle on 5th (my heart says 4th though).

Thank you Wilbur, for discussion without insult.  :)

Archived