The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hockey Writers 2016-17 Predictions

Honky Cat

The Toronto bias is amazing. Everyone laughed and mocked the Oilers for sucking so bad for so long, and getting 1st OA picks. The Leafs finally get one by doing the exact same thing, as well as deliberately tanking, and every hockey news site labels them as "The perfect model!", and everyone loves Edmonton again. Meanwhile, teams like Vancouver and Calgary who actually have dignity and respect, and wont deliberately tank, have become laughing stocks. It's stupid. 

I'd love to pull that idiots stupid leafs jersey over his head and feed him.

Almost barfed reading the Oilers bit, that pinhead needs some knuckle sammies. And seriously, guy picks the Sharts to win the west... "duurrrr, they made the final last year so... duh... ummmm... go leafs! My parents are related"

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

And if the injuries to our key players, who are older where injuries are more likely, do occur again then who is the idiot, when we are in the draft lottery again?  No, you are not an idiot, and you will never be one.  However, many of the people espousing doom for our team are pretty smart and experienced hockey minds.  

name some.

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Benning says he's retooling.  Competing for the playoffs, while trying to get younger and faster.  This might work if the Twins were five years younger, but trying this retool with our top players at 36 doesn't make sense.  As stated by almost EVERY hockey person outside our market.  The tank will come, but naturally in time.  It's like pulling off a bandaid.  Slowly and prolonged pain, or get it off quickly and take the intense pain, but for a much shorter time.  IMHAO, of course.

Alf,

Do you propose trading away the Sedins?  Until they retire/leave we will be somewhat competitive.  The only thing I saw in the THW article that made sense, "If either Henrik or Daniel or both goes  down with an injury, the Canucks are sunk."  Capt Obvious is suing for trademark infringement.  

If you are a fan, go with optimism.

This team had great run and now change is happening. The Sedins are some of the fittest players in the game, Swedes are tough. I see 36 year old Volvos on the road all the time. Swedes are built to last;). 

Roster turn over has occurred.  Who's left from 2011?  Henrik and Daniel?  How do we trade to guys with a combined 14 m/NMC cap hit and get real value back?  Burrows? One last year most likely.  Hansen?  Would we want to trade him right now.  Tanev?  At 26 he is in the age group we need the most, RHD that steadies the ship. Edler?  NTC, might waive if convinced.  Good player.  Our slide started with his broken leg.  Trade him now with his value at an low point?  However, If we are tanking due to injuries, maybe at the TDL.  

How many more players have to go for a rebuild to have been preformed?

6 players left from 2011 with 10/11 players 25 and under on the roster.  Markstrom, Guds, Horvat, Baer, Sbisa, Sutter, Hutton, Etem, Granlund, Trymakin.  Other possibles: Virtannen, Gaunce, Pedan, Juolevi, Boeser Demko etc... Due to arrive within 1-2 years.  Rodin and Larsen are 26 (both are huge ? marks though).

JB brought in 8/11 of those players. 2 players were top 5 picks,  2 more were top 10 picks with two more drafted at 11 and 13 in their draft years.  That is not really relevant to how well they play, but draft position seems to really matter to the tank crowd. 

For all the tankers out there rejoice, according to THW, lottery pick here we come. Even better, we don't have to trade away roster players for junk to get there.  Everyone wins.

According to THW:  McDavid wins the Art Ross in his second year?  Edmonton is third in the Pacific?  Calgary is fourth beating out Anaheim/Arizona???  TML beats out Boston and Detriot and makes the playoffs???   

The Pacifc is the weakest division in hockey with the Kings winning two stanely cups and both Vancouver and San Jose making the finals in the last 6 seasons?  

But hey, we have something to talk about in August and the team gets another article to put on the motivation board. In a few months it will all be sorted.

Going to be an interesting year. 

EW

I came in thinking it would be a terrible article bashing the canucks.

However I can't really disagree too much with the logic. We don't really have much offence (Past the twins) or size or speed in our top 6 (Right now).

I don't agree that we'll be a draft lottery team but I do agree that we are a middling team that will either just make the playoffs or just miss.

10 minutes ago, on the cycle said:

I came in thinking it would be a terrible article bashing the canucks.

However I can't really disagree too much with the logic. We don't really have much offence (Past the twins) or size or speed in our top 6 (Right now).

I don't agree that we'll be a draft lottery team but I do agree that we are a middling team that will either just make the playoffs or just miss.

Fair assessment.

I was/am skeptical of any Canucks assessment written by a self described "Oilers homer".  

I don't see anything wrong with trying to make the playoffs. 

One thing will be different if we do make the playoffs this year, we won't be walked over.  Can't see teams running our goalie or taking liberties on the Sedins nearly as much as in past years. 

Biggest 2 questions that will likely determine whether we are in the post season, the Power Play and 1 goal games. 

Like our odds on the second question this year, not so much on the first. 

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

And if the injuries to our key players, who are older where injuries are more likely, do occur again then who is the idiot, when we are in the draft lottery again?  No, you are not an idiot, and you will never be one.  However, many of the people espousing doom for our team are pretty smart and experienced hockey minds.  

Not sure if smart hockey minds are the ones predicting our last place finish/debacle this season;)  The THW article was not written by one of the smart hockey minds.

I would like to see MacKenzies list, Maguire's list and even Button's list.    

The THW article was re hashed from the Score article. That and the survey of 200 or so NHL fans article (wtf????) have spawned a lot of zombie articles.  Even the Yost article on the Gudbranson trade spawned some Zombie articles. 

The guy writing is a self described "Oilers Homer".  His assessment of the Oilers was very optimistic.  Nothing new, every year for the past 4-5 or more, articles proclaim the Oilers are going to make the playoffs.

For the last 3 years, we were going for the lottery picks. But one of those years we had this guy named Torts( so close). The next we had a 101 pt season (oops).  The year after everyone got hurt, and we still haven't gotten our lottery pick yet... Damn. When will THW get something right;)

5 hours ago, khay said:

How many teams have the supporting case to overcome the loss of two star players?

Say Kopitar and Doughty gets injured. LA is done. No? Toewes and Kane goes down. Not very convincing reasons for predicting the Canucks to finish last.

This is not an analysis. Just a guess work.

Exactly.  Most teams can't just lose their best player and expect to have the depth to compete.  

NYI and Tavares in 2014

DAL and Seguin in 2015

MTL and Price in 2016

Well maybe if the eastern media actually stayed up to watch a few games they wouldn't be so puzzled this June.  But what can you expect when there's no house hold names, instead they see names like Tryamkin, Hutton, Rodin, Larsen, Markstrom, Baertschi, Horvat, Etem, and Virtanen and wonder how canucks are going to compete, simply because they don't know these players very well.

In April when canucks aren't in the bottom 5 and competing for a playoff spot there will be a lot of: 

"What a surprise, not one person expected the canucks to make the playoffs"

"Who thought Hutton was an offensive D "

"Who knew Baertschi and Rodin would provide so much scoring depth"

"Who knew sedins would still produce"

"Who knew a healthy Sutter provide a strong #2 center"

"Who knew Gudbranson would make such an impact on canucks back end"

"Who would have thought Eriksson would fit so well with the twins"

"Who's heard of Tryamkin"

2 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Alf,

Do you propose trading away the Sedins?  Until they retire/leave we will be somewhat competitive.  The only thing I saw in the THW article that made sense, "If either Henrik or Daniel or both goes  down with an injury, the Canucks are sunk."  Capt Obvious is suing for trademark infringement.  

If you are a fan, go with optimism.

This team had great run and now change is happening. The Sedins are some of the fittest players in the game, Swedes are tough. I see 36 year old Volvos on the road all the time. Swedes are built to last;). 

Roster turn over has occurred.  Who's left from 2011?  Henrik and Daniel?  How do we trade to guys with a combined 14 m/NMC cap hit and get real value back?  Burrows? One last year most likely.  Hansen?  Would we want to trade him right now.  Tanev?  At 26 he is in the age group we need the most, RHD that steadies the ship. Edler?  NTC, might waive if convinced.  Good player.  Our slide started with his broken leg.  Trade him now with his value at an low point?  However, If we are tanking due to injuries, maybe at the TDL.  

How many more players have to go for a rebuild to have been preformed?

6 players left from 2011 with 10/11 players 25 and under on the roster.  Markstrom, Guds, Horvat, Baer, Sbisa, Sutter, Hutton, Etem, Granlund, Trymakin.  Other possibles: Virtannen, Gaunce, Pedan, Juolevi, Boeser Demko etc... Due to arrive within 1-2 years.  Rodin and Larsen are 26 (both are huge ? marks though).

JB brought in 8/11 of those players. 2 players were top 5 picks,  2 more were top 10 picks with two more drafted at 11 and 13 in their draft years.  That is not really relevant to how well they play, but draft position seems to really matter to the tank crowd. 

For all the tankers out there rejoice, according to THW, lottery pick here we come. Even better, we don't have to trade away roster players for junk to get there.  Everyone wins.

According to THW:  McDavid wins the Art Ross in his second year?  Edmonton is third in the Pacific?  Calgary is fourth beating out Anaheim/Arizona???  TML beats out Boston and Detriot and makes the playoffs???   

The Pacifc is the weakest division in hockey with the Kings winning two stanely cups and both Vancouver and San Jose making the finals in the last 6 seasons?  

But hey, we have something to talk about in August and the team gets another article to put on the motivation board. In a few months it will all be sorted.

Going to be an interesting year. 

EW

Solid post. Lots of reasons to look forward to the season.

5 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I don't know why people are griping so much.  I am trying to take a far more objective approach to the season.

We got a shade younger, while also getting a shade more experienced from our youth.  We got tougher on the blue line and deeper in the prospects department.

But THW, Score, TSN and almost universally every major analyst has the Canucks finishing in the bottom 10.  There IS a reason for this and it is not blind hate for Vancouver or love for TO

OK, to simply make the playoffs, you have to beat your division.  Can we capably say we can do that at this moment in time?

Let's dissect the teams that weren't pegged as cup contenders in our division that we should capably beat.

Oilers, needed goaltending defense and toughness.  What did they do?  They now have Lucic/Maroon/Kassian that's 3 lines of crazy right there.  They have an older Nurse, Klefbom, Reinhardt and Larson now.  That is a big and very mobile defensive group that is still incredibly young.  They brought in the Goose to back up Talbot who was actually really good in front of a porous defense.

Flames, needed more balanced scoring and goaltending as they have arguably one of the deepest and best pools for blue liners in the league; that just got deeper after this draft and a shade older.  They added Elliott who arguably is a top 10 goalie in this league; if Calgary stops 1 goal per game last year in 25 matches, they make the playoffs.  They also got a shade deeper up front as well.  Nobody will say Tkachuk is NHL ready but he's certainly not a lock to go back to juniors based on his play either.

Arizona, Needed X and Y and Z and with one of the deepest forward prospect pools in the league did everything they needed to in shoring up the defense.  Drafted up Chychrun who is without question physically NHL ready and has something to prove, has an older core now of young stud forwards and really only has questionable goaltending and a suspect bottom 5-6 D

I look at the teams we SHOULD beat and know that if Markstrom is not getting 55+ starts, we have our annual medical parade on the blueline and lose any one of Horvat, Sedin, Sedin or Sutter we're a lottery team.  There are HUGE questions for this team that is not nearly as deep as they appear or skilled as some on here seem to think they are.

I cannot see us breaking the top 10 for this season in the West with the moves everyone else made.  Colorado will hire a new coach and be better, Hawks, Wild, Jets, Blues, Sharks, Ducks, Kings, Preds, Stars all almost seem like they could be locks for the playoffs.  Deeper, faster, bigger, younger and arguably as or more skilled.

I mean i LOVE my Canucks, I suffered through the king Richard days of the 80's the Keenan days and more and have earned the right to be realistic about our chances this year.

On paper we're a bubble team.  Realistically; we're one injury away from a lottery pick.  Not hatred, not hating, not blind homerism or love for another team

Just brutal honesty.

Fine, that's a much better pessimistic analysis than the tripe in OP.  You could well be right.  But our D has been such a train wreck in the last few years that all bets are off if Benning has actually fixed it with all the moves since the new year.  Having a sound D that doesn't get pushed around, can retrieve and move the puck, will certainly help our underperforming offense.  There's a reason why they play the games and I don't think anyone really knows what we've got at this stage.  All this semantic crap about rebuild vs. retool doesn't really address Benning's very real attempts to address the weaknesses in our lineup.  We stand or fall mainly on that, not injuries or what other teams have done. 

2 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I think it's humorous that these articles bash the Canucks for not rebuilding/tanking - yet they all have us finishing bottom of the league. So by that logic we would be "rebuilding the right way".

Good point....were not rebuilding yet we've picked in the top 6 two out of three years.?..Rebuilding the right way (according to the bloggers) is to ditch every asset for picks,and get ready to embrace a 'losing' mentality (I've always wondered what players must think on 'tanking' teams,because they're not wired that way).......As long as the Canucks have the Sedins,they;re going to try and win (and bring the younger players along in a competitive 'winning' environment)...

I'm ok with the 30 in 30 assessment

Offense - The top line is better but secondary scoring is a big question mark.  What about the power play?

These things remain to be seen.  How much difference will a healthy Sutter make?  Eriksson will produce better than Vrbata's 13 goals last year but will he pot more than 30?  I think we can count on 25.  Hansen will surely slide some in his production but will Horvat and Baertschi continue to progress.  Does Rodin fit in and produce a little?  It looks like he'll be starting the season a little late.  How about Virtanen?

Defense - is certainly bigger, stronger and harder to play against.  I'm not worried about the defensive side but I'm not seeing any more offense from the back end either.  Larsen helping the PP has got to be in the wait and see column.

Goal - not worried

Were the Canucks as bad as their record last year.  No but they certainly weren't a 101 point team either. 

I think the defense has improved in the sense that they are younger, bigger and harder to play against but the rest of the team is about the same.  This leaves the team on the bubble once again. 

Prediction 8th in the West +/- 2 spots.

Future success of this team is dependant on the development and improvement from young players.

Archived