The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

1901 Ride Through Vancouver and Victoria

SabreFan1

While looking for video on Elliotte Friedman's Phelps/Lochte mistake, I randomly ran across this.  Video of Vancouver in 1901.  The sound isn't real.  Video didn't have that ability in 1901.  The bonehead who made it thought that it added ambience. :rolleyes:

So @smithers joeis this how you remember it from back then? :bigblush:^_^

Enjoy it Vancouver people!

Just now, HC20.0 said:

That is actually insanely awesome. 

I figured that you guys would like it.  I watched it and bolted over here just after I finished it so you guys could see it.

I enjoy watching old US film.  Vancouver was only 15 years old when this was taken.

You can still see many Vancouver/Victoria landmarks..the Legislative buildings in Victoria are recognizable and Main and Hastings in Vancouver as well..the old museum is still there...love the street cars..I remember my grandmother taking me to Stanley Park on them back in the day.

Just now, ShakyWalton said:

You can still see many Vancouver/Victoria landmarks..the Legislative buildings in Victoria are recognizable and Main and Hastings in Vancouver as well..the old museum is still there...love the street cars..I remember my grandmother taking me to Stanley Park on them back in the day.

Some of that is still standing?  Very cool!  I figured most, if not all would have been knocked down as Vancouver became modernized.

Buffalo still has 19th century buildings still standing.  All of the 18th century landmarks are long gone of course.  The Brits burned them down in 1812.

2 minutes ago, Kakanucks said:

Everyone was so nicely dressed back then.

And walking through horse manure on the streets.  Betcha they did a lot of wiping of their boots. :lol:  Occasionally getting the hem of your dress dirty with that manure must have been a pain in the butt for the women.

2 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

we could have made a killing, shovelling horse poop of the streets. my favourite old video is of new york. in 1936, 2 years before i was born. it was larry adler ( greatest harmonic player) playing my favourite classical piece, rhapsody in blue..there is so much to see, i've watched it a lot..prices, cars, clothes, buildings and signs. if you go to my site, the about me page,at the bottom are 3 video's, the 2nd one is that video. probably too out dated for most but it is a favourite of mine.

thanks for that video.

9 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

in 1886, vancouver was all but destroyed by fire..shaky narrowly escaped with his life. that is why he never plays with matches, even today.

1886 was the year Vancouver was born. 

Another +1 from me for the Shaky dig. :lol:

50 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

While looking for video on Elliotte Friedman's Phelps/Lochte mistake, I randomly ran across this.  Video of Vancouver in 1901.  The sound isn't real.  Video didn't have that ability in 1901.  The bonehead who made it thought that it added ambience. :rolleyes:

So @smithers joeis this how you remember it from back then? :bigblush:^_^

Enjoy it Vancouver people!

That's a really neat video +1. Just think, ww1 hadn't happened yet, neither had ww2. No television. Cars were in the very early stage of development and not widely available. To go to the moon was unthinkable. So much has really happened in the last 100+ years. I think in my neck of the woods, people were just kind of settling. Although Barkerville was probably at the end of its glory days. 

Just now, Standing_Tall#37 said:

That's a really neat video +1. Just think, ww1 hadn't happened yet, neither had ww2. No television. Cars were in the very early stage of development and not widely available. To go to the moon was unthinkable. So much has really happened in the last 100+ years. I think in my neck of the woods, people were just kind of settling. Although Barkerville was probably at the end of its glory days. 

At 42 I'm old enough to have talked to people that had lived in the very late 19th century.  Some of the best stories in my life.  Since that was back in the 1980's and early 1990's they were just kids/young adults when the world began to quickly accelerate but many of them still remembered well.  Even the ones that I talked to that had dementia at that advanced age.

4 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

At 42 I'm old enough to have talked to people that had lived in the very late 19th century.  Some of the best stories in my life.  Since that was back in the 1980's and early 1990's they were just kids/young adults when the world began to quickly accelerate but many of them still remembered well.  Even the ones that I talked to that had dementia at that advanced age.

It's lost on most people these days. Quite unfortunate that many don't take the time to listen to their elders talk and hear some of the history first hand from those that experienced it.

Archived